Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Merrie Monarch 2007

Originally posted by Kory K View Post
    Are you ready for the second half of Kahiko night? Anyone planning on staying up really late to watch until the end?

I am. I much prefer to watch the Kane during the Kahiko portion and the Wahine during the Auwana portion. Btw, I think I just saw Tim tumbling down the bleachers. Tim was that you?

Comment

Are you ready for the second half of Kahiko night? Anyone planning on staying up really late to watch until the end?
      Unfortunately...no! The memory foam mattress topper is chanting my name...tu...tu...tu...tu!

I was just perusing Ho`omalu's web page when the men of Na Pua Me Ke Aloha were dancing. I muted the tv's sound and the Ho`omalu chant on the web site and the halau's dancing were perfectly in synch. Awesome!

Kahiko's my favorite night. Kane hula kahiko is the favorite part of my favorite night!
      Last edited by tutusue; April 13, 2007, 09:18 PM.

Comment

just got back. Sat for as long as I could. Tomorrow I will bring a better cushion.

As always, beautiful hula. Still, its a Maiki fest, if you ask me. All the same hula genealogy, with the exception of the halau from the mainland. Hilo needs to step back into the game.

Ho'omalu did it different, but neither his men nor his ladies were fully ready. Between enough off-beat and kupe'e falling off (deductions for that), I don't think he will place as high as he'd wish. Still, what a crowd pleaser.

bus' ass this week, but all is good. This is my second favorite week of the year (just after Haili VB). Craft fairs aren't doing as well as they usually do, which is a bummer.

pax

Comment

can someone tell me if Kaui Dalire ever made Miss Aloha Hula? if so what year?

tried to google, but no luck.

Comment

Kaui won Miss Aloha Hula in 1992, a year after Kapua.

http://www.merriemonarchfestival.org...ers_1990s.html
            You can take the boy out of Hilo but you can't take the Hilo out of the boy!

Comment

Don't forget youngest sister, Keola, in 1999. When Keola did her farewell hula in 2000, all 3 Dalire girls plus mom were on stage. That was one of my most favorite MM moments.

Watched kahiko on TV last night with a bunch of auana musicians (who shall not be named for fear of embarassment and retaliation) who I imagine are not feeling too good this morning. But it's tradition -- every kahiko night they get together for a nice watering session! It's like we never left the AB.

Was nice to see Wekiu kane back in the grind. I was wondering how come my friend was growing out his hair. I was going to say something a few months ago about he looks better with shorter hair....but now I know why he grew it out!

Pua'i Mana'o brought up Maiki Aiu Lake, and it got me thinking about a hula family tree that appeared in the Star Bulletin over ten years ago. A search brought up this:

http://starbulletin.com/96/04/08/features/story1.html

...but the illustration's too tiny for me to read. Does anyone have a copy of it in full size or know where I can find one? With all the new and young kumu these days, I think it'd be nice to read up on that again.
              Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
              We're not here to mess around
              Boston, you know we love you madly
              Hear the crowd roar to your sound
              Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
              You know we couldn't live without you
              Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

It`s nice when Mark Keliihoomalu brings his troupe to preform. I just trip cause his style is so different from everybody. I like the way he chants, big time...... Just watching everyones reaction while his troupe preforms, unreal. Of course last nite had some mistake that going cost them but it`s good to see him back at Merry Monarch. OGGBOY
                bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Ho`omalu is edgy and controversial. That's what I like about him. Sometimes I think I'm in the minority! Kinda reminds me of a decade or so ago, watching Robert Cazimero's halau dance to Prince's "7" at the Hawaii Theatre. OMG...unbelievable. The theater was packed. Everyone was going crazy. While I greatly admire traditional hula I also love seeing it taken to a whole, different level.

Hula = chickenskin!

Comment

Tutu Sue, I guess you loved his little fishing hula tonight too. I actually hope he places with that one.
                    You can take the boy out of Hilo but you can't take the Hilo out of the boy!

Comment

thanks Kory K.

Comment

Tutu Sue, I guess you loved his little fishing hula tonight too. I actually hope he places with that one.
                        I liked it a lot! Whimsical, for lack of a better word. Still, his kahiko brings tears to my eyes.

Comment

http://www.kalena.com/merriemonarch/2007/index.html

Man....

The dancers are really awesome tonight!!!

Makes me wish that I ws actually there to watch it person.

Click on the website & cick on the mos recent ones.

I think they have videos aswell.

Aloha, gang =) .

Happy Weekend
                          Aches & Pains
                          (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

I was so happy for Veto Baker. His kane were stellar. The hula this year was quality! I thought Kalaniakea came out of the gate in an outstanding first year. The newbies of the last few years have lost a bit of their freshman favor; Snowbird and Manu Boyd folks didn't place. But that is how it goes.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                              Ho`omalu is edgy and controversial. That's what I like about him. Sometimes I think I'm in the minority! Kinda reminds me of a decade or so ago, watching Robert Cazimero's halau dance to Prince's "7" at the Hawaii Theatre. OMG...unbelievable. The theater was packed. Everyone was going crazy. While I greatly admire traditional hula I also love seeing it taken to a whole, different level.

Hula = chickenskin!
                              Hoomalu IS theatre; his troup is quite entertaining, but he does moves that aren't hula. He belongs on Wed night (free night; entertainment, not competition). For one thing, he had 2-3 dancers on both his kane and wahine dancers who are not ready for competitive hula; their lack of timing and preparing was evident at the most crucial time: during the dance. Kupe'e falls off? Hewa; points deducted, and in Hawaiian mana'o it speaks to ill preparation.

Most importantly, the play should be in the hands, but the feet must always speak to the hula steps. Far too much of his hula evoked a cringing "what the heck move is that? What are those dancers doing stepping with their legs so far apart, and for each pauku?" from our part of the peanut gallery. For example, Johnny Lum Ho's halau was always on the cutting edge, but his dancers never parted from traditional hula steps. If they ground their feet in hula, their foundation is hula. And that is the kuleana of the judges to notice and grade each halau accordingly. Further, it is in those feet movements that showcase the style of hula that is passed on from kumu hula to haumana. Front uwehe vs a wide uwehe is one of the easiest examples to point out, but it exists for all. Hula steps and their style are important (which is how I could tell there's a whole lotta Maiki going on )

In other venues, Ho'omalu rocks. He just isn't disciplined enough to choreograph for a hula competition.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post

Hula = chickenskin!
                                I was one of the lucky ones to see Robert's rendition of Prince's "7", and thought it was spectacular! I sat there, in awe - literally, my mouth hanging open. Then, when I returned to see Patrick Makuakane's "Natives are Restless", I was again reminded of Patrick's lineage (as he comes from Robert Cazimero.) Innovative, creative, challenging, and rhytmically moving...

Comment

Working...
                                X