Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Merrie Monarch 2007

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
    I was so happy for Veto Baker. His kane were stellar. The hula this year was quality! I thought Kalaniakea came out of the gate in an outstanding first year. The newbies of the last few years have lost a bit of their freshman favor; Snowbird and Manu Boyd folks didn't place. But that is how it goes.
    Snowbird's kane continues to do well and placed in all categories, so I'm not sure where you get the whole didn't place bit. Her wahine, to my knowledge, hasn't placed at all since entering MM.

Manu's girls also scored well in the wahine auana.

The judges seem to love all of Kaleo's gang. I don't know how he does it every year -- preparing for Merrie Monarch in addition to heading the Kamehameha Schools Song Contest Ho`ike!

I know I'll probably get crap for saying this, but I've never been a big fan of Mapuana DeSilva's style and will admit that I usually take a bathroom break whenever they're on (sorry, being honest)...but when I saw that they were doing Pohai Kealoha, I made sure I stuck around, and I'm glad I did.

Congratulations to Halau I Ka Wekiu! I attended their fundraiser last February and Ho`ike on Easter Sunday and noticed that they were "different" from what I've been used to. Glad to know that whatever it was worked in their favor with the judges.

This year was definitely a quality year and filled with lots of good performances. Unfortunately there's simply not enough awards to give out. Just because they don't walk off the stage with an ipu heke, ukulele, or pahu doesn't mean they've lost anything at all or they're undeserving, especially when the final scores were as close as they were.
    Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
    We're not here to mess around
    Boston, you know we love you madly
    Hear the crowd roar to your sound
    Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
    You know we couldn't live without you
    Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
      Snowbird's kane continues to do well and placed in all categories, so I'm not sure where you get the whole didn't place bit. Her wahine, to my knowledge, hasn't placed at all since entering MM.

The judges seem to love all of Kaleo's gang. I don't know how he does it every year -- preparing for Merrie Monarch in addition to heading the Kamehameha Schools Song Contest Ho`ike!

I know I'll probably get crap for saying this, but I've never been a big fan of Mapuana DeSilva's style and will admit that I usually take a bathroom break whenever they're on (sorry, being honest)...but when I saw that they were doing Pohai Kealoha, I made sure I stuck around, and I'm glad I did.

Congratulations to Halau I Ka Wekiu! I attended their fundraiser last February and Ho`ike on Easter Sunday and noticed that they were "different" from what I've been used to. Glad to know that whatever it was worked in their favor with the judges.

This year was definitely a quality year and filled with lots of good performances. Unfortunately there's simply not enough awards to give out. Just because they don't walk off the stage with an ipu heke, ukulele, or pahu doesn't mean they've lost anything at all or they're undeserving, especially when the final scores were as close as they were.
      confession time: I had *no business* logging on to the computer after not sleeping the night before.

pax

Comment

confession time: I had *no business* logging on to the computer after not sleeping the night before.
        LOL I think over half of us are guilty of that!

Comment

Thanks for the local takes on this year's MM, everybody. It's one thing to enjoy it online from off-Island, but to get the historical and personal perspectives from so many of you really adds to the experience for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
            Thanks for the local takes on this year's MM, everybody. It's one thing to enjoy it online from off-Island, but to get the historical and personal perspectives from so many of you really adds to the experience for me.
            Not a problem, LL. Merrie Monarch is like my Christmas/New Year's/Birthday rolled into one!

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
              Yah! What Leo said. I absolutely love hearing about it from our resident HT pros. IIRC, didn't Lei Liko pop into HT with her MM wisdom either right before or during last year's MM? I just remember being totally captured by her posts.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                Yah! What Leo said. I absolutely love hearing about it from our resident HT pros. IIRC, didn't Lei Liko pop into HT with her MM wisdom either right before or during last year's MM? I just remember being totally captured by her posts.
                Haha, I wouldn't necessarily call it "wisdom," tutu. But yes -- I decided to un-lurk around this time last year!

Now that MM is over I'm hoping to see the friends who have been MIA since March!

Comment

`Ae...ho`omaika`i ana, Halau I Ka Wekiu! They were fabulous! Although I didn't care for the long hair, they were great! I think Michael Casupang and Veto did a wonderful job preparing their students for MM this year! Their foot movements were clean, crisp, and sharp...and they were graceful yet maintained their manliness! It seemed to me that they put great effort in their training this year. Hope they have a blast in Japan!

You're also right about the many fine performances this year. It seems to me that there aren't enough award places for all the wahine halau especially. There are sooo many that work so hard and do great jobs but don't get the recognition and validation of an award.

And congratulations to Snowbird and her halau (also Kapua Dalire's for a wonderful 1st time showing!!!) Snowbird is such a spiritual young woman, and her maturity and loving nature shines through her students.

As for Halau Mohala `Ilima...all I can say is WOW! She's come a long way!! I'm not sure, but I'm thinking it's Kahikina and Kapalaiula's influences in the choreography as well as costuming that has brought their halau again to the forefront. Job well done...beautiful!

Comment

Originally posted by Laua`e View Post
                    `Ae...ho`omaika`i ana, Halau I Ka Wekiu! They were fabulous! Although I didn't care for the long hair, they were great! I think Michael Casupang and Veto did a wonderful job preparing their students for MM this year! Their foot movements were clean, crisp, and sharp...and they were graceful yet maintained their manliness! It seemed to me that they put great effort in their training this year. Hope they have a blast in Japan!
                    On the Halau I Ka Wekiu website, you can vote for your favorite Lohi`au. tutusue, get your bib ready because methinks you gonna be droolin'!

Props to `Aukai for updating the website so soon. Happy reading...it's pretty interesting stuff.

Can't wait to see their CBS Early Show segment!

Comment

On the Halau I Ka Wekiu website, you can vote for your favorite Lohi`au. tutusue, get your bib ready because methinks you gonna be droolin'![...]
                      Heh. One meeting at La Mariana and you already know me too well!!!

Hmmm...what's a "sexual" ad doing on that page, anyway? So inappropriate.

Comment

I know... I'm late adding my 2 cents to this thread but I think I'm still recovering from sunstroke from traipsing around the volcano the day after MM wrapped up.

I absolutely LOVED being at the festival in person. Sure, it was uncomfortable sitting there for so long with nothing to lean against but being able to soak up the atmosphere of the place was totally worth it.

I sat with the Halau Mohala Ilima supporters and I really wanted to get up and go crazy cheering for them but the others were so subdued - they really are a class act, both on and off the stage. Laua'e, I too could see a lot of influence from the younger Da Silvas.

Highlights of the festival for me (in no particular order):
                        • The Craft Fairs
                        • Mark Keali'i Ho'omalu's kahiko chants - I LOVE his voice!
                        • Academy of Hawaiian Arts' fishing pole 'auana - one guy from Florida sitting behind me had the best quote after that one... "that was the weirdest thing I've ever seen!"
                        • Natalie A'i Kamau'u's vocal talents - she is AWESOME!!
                        • The kane of Ka Leo O Laka I Ka Hikina O Ka La - Hmmmm... 'nuff said!!!
                        • Halau Mohala Ilima's second overall placing for wahine - I am so proud of their accomplishment.

A Japanese halau that was staying at the same place as me alluded to the possibility that they may be invited to compete in future years. Could that really happen? How would the traditionalists feel about that?? I mean, groups from Las Vegas & California are one thing but Japan??? I lived in Japan for 7 years and I know how much they love hula. Just sitting at the festival, at times I kinda felt like I was back in Japan again.
                        Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
                        My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

Originally posted by kiwidiva View Post
                          I know... I'm late adding my 2 cents to this thread
                          2 cents like that - welcome ANYtime. Thanks for another "insider" report.

Comment

Originally posted by kiwidiva View Post
                            A Japanese halau that was staying at the same place as me alluded to the possibility that they may be invited to compete in future years. Could that really happen? How would the traditionalists feel about that?? I mean, groups from Las Vegas & California are one thing but Japan??? I lived in Japan for 7 years and I know how much they love hula. Just sitting at the festival, at times I kinda felt like I was back in Japan again.
                            At least one kumu hula from CA is not an ethnic Hawaiian, and he has been invited several times to compete in the competition. Because of that, I don't know what the deal is at allowing him but ho'ole to the halau from Japan, especially when you ask any Japanese dancer who her kumu is, 9/10 will say somebody like "Johnny Rum Ho".

How do I feel about that? Well...

pax

Comment

At least one kumu hula from CA is not an ethnic Hawaiian, and he has been invited several times to compete in the competition. Because of that, I don't know what the deal is at allowing him but ho'ole to the halau from Japan, especially when you ask any Japanese dancer who her kumu is, 9/10 will say somebody like "Johnny Rum Ho".

How do I feel about that? Well...
                              The question of Japan halau competing in MM has been around for a while and as far as I know, Aunty Dotty has said that Merrie Monarch was meant for the people of Hawai`i,and no Japan halau would be allowed to compete. Mainland halau were always invited. They do continue to allow Japan halau to perform for Ho`ike night, which is meant for cultural sharing.

hope that helps a bit...
                              mahalo!
                              Last edited by Laua`e; April 18, 2007, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Laua`e View Post
                                The question of Japan halau competing in MM has been around for a while and as far as I know, Aunty Dotty has said that Merrie Monarch was meant for the people of Hawai`i,and no Japan halau would be allowed to compete. Mainland halau were always invited. They do continue to allow Japan halau to perform for Ho`ike night, which is meant for cultural sharing.

hope that helps a bit...
                                mahalo!
                                we get it that the MM is for the people of Hawai'i, and those halau from CA and LV, while (of course) they aren't from Hawai'i, Kaio, Ho'omalu, etc are at least Hawaiian. Ceballos isn't Hawaiian, and his halau isn't based in Hawaii, so why would he be allowed to compete when other halau outside of the Hawaii, alaka'i 'ia by non-kanaks like the Japanese cannot?

Therein lies the question.

pax

Comment

Working...
                                X