Merrie Monarch 2007

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Merrie Monarch 2007

This was our first year attending the Merrie Monarch Festival. We are also new to living in Kona. My husband has always had it taped for him or watched while here on business. We thought the entire festival was wonderful and have been reading these posts for some history and insight.

As a newcomer I was hoping someone could let me know why one of my favorite Wahine groups did not even place. I thought that Halau Hula Olana did well in both Auana and Kahiko.

Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Kaona View Post
      This was our first year attending the Merrie Monarch Festival. We are also new to living in Kona. My husband has always had it taped for him or watched while here on business. We thought the entire festival was wonderful and have been reading these posts for some history and insight.

As a newcomer I was hoping someone could let me know why one of my favorite Wahine groups did not even place. I thought that Halau Hula Olana did well in both Auana and Kahiko.

Thoughts?
      A lot of great performances and not enough awards to give out. That would be the pono thing to say about why your favorite halau didn't place.

But you know that I always like to add $0.02.

Sometimes it is hula politics. Some judges probably favor certain kumu over others. Not saying that those who placed aren't deserving, but there's always gonna be somebody out there who'll cry "JUICED!" because their halau didn't win.

Halau Hula Olana is a good, strong halau. However, this needs to be said and you can take it however you want.

Someone needs to tell na kumu to tone down the facial theatrics. One can convey the onaona emotion without looking like you're having a freaking convulsion. I simply can't stand it, and I know of many other seasoned dancers who feel the same way.

If people make it a point to call attention on how they like to overdo stuff, then maybe that's why they didn't fare well with the judges.

Yeah, I said it. Somebody had to.
      Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
      We're not here to mess around
      Boston, you know we love you madly
      Hear the crowd roar to your sound
      Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
      You know we couldn't live without you
      Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Thank you for your honest response. That's why we like this forum. What's interesting for me is that I could not see their faces. So maybe if the judges didn't see their faces they might have placed!

Comment

And now Waikiki is hosting an annual hula convention to allow tourists to participate in hula rather than just watch it like they do now.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...704250402/1001
          Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
          My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

Originally posted by kiwidiva View Post
            And now Waikiki is hosting an annual hula convention to allow tourists to participate in hula rather than just watch it like they do now.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...704250402/1001
            How awesome to see kumu like Maelia and Kaleo, who are already busy with their own haumana, eager to share their knowledge with visitors.

Comment

"Moku O Keawe"

Since Merrie Monarch is restricted to halau primarily based in Hawai'i, and because there are so many halau outside of the US now, Moku O Keawe was created so that halau from Europe and Asia (specifically Japan) as well as those from CONUS can also compete for cash prizes and a Tiffany crystal bowl.

Here's a story in Forbes about the festival, which was held in November at the Waikoloa Resort.

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Okay, I didn't know where the heck to post this, but since it kinda is Merrie Monarch related (eh, he was flying ITO-HNL right after MM), I'm leaving it here:

Lopaka Kanaka`ole singing on board his AQ flight over the PA system after much coaxing from FAs

Video's kinda blurry because footage was taken from what looked like J's digital camera. What's funny is that I saw them that exact same night at the bar and couldn't believe it when I saw it the first time.

Anyway, the images are blurry, but that voice is oh, so unmistakable. Enjoy.

Comment

That was AWESOME! I wish I had been on that flight...

Mahalo for posting it!!
                  Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
                  My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

Working...
                  X