Hawaiian Language Renaissance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaiian Language Renaissance

I'm curious...with Hawaiian cultural immersion in the schools, all the elementary kids are learning Hawaiian language early, so I assume the newest generations are all Hawaiian speaking (as a second language). Is that right?

What is the Hawaiian language climate like? Who's speaking Hawaiian now? Is it just the kupuna and the people who grew up learning it, or have the students begun using the language in the community, too?

I'm asking, because me and my kids are all learning Hawaiian, and I'd like to think they'll have a Hawaiian speaking community either in Hawai‘i or in the Hawaiian communities here on the mainland. I hate to think students are learning Hawaiian in school and not using the language in the community.
    ~'Ailina

Re: Hawaiian Language Renaissance

Originally posted by Ailina
    I'm curious...with Hawaiian cultural immersion in the schools, all the elementary kids are learning Hawaiian language early, so I assume the newest generations are all Hawaiian speaking (as a second language). Is that right?
    Some have considered it a "first" language. Guess it depends on how you look at it.
    What is the Hawaiian language climate like? Who's speaking Hawaiian now? Is it just the kupuna and the people who grew up learning it, or have the students begun using the language in the community, too?
    You pretty much answered your question. And from what we gathered, there are more than 3,000 speakers of the language today.
    I'm asking, because me and my kids are all learning Hawaiian, and I'd like to think they'll have a Hawaiian speaking community either in Hawai‘i or in the Hawaiian communities here on the mainland. I hate to think students are learning Hawaiian in school and not using the language in the community.
    Not sure if you are referring to schools in general that teach Hawaiian or the immersion schools. The immersion schools encourage parents to learn the language so that the student will not only speak Hawaiian while in school, but also at home, further fostering the perpetuation and fluency in the language.

You'd be surprise at how often you run across the language nowadays. And even if that wasn't happening, that doesn't mean that you should stop learning Hawaiian.
    He mamo a Hina

Mai poina i na kupuna kahiko, na lakou e hoonaauao ia kakou.

Comment

Yeah when you come across a street name or a district in Hawaiian there's a meaning behind that location. Take Kailua for example...okay I know it can't mean ocean toilet but then again maybe that's where the Hawaiians took their crap.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
        Yeah when you come across a street name or a district in Hawaiian there's a meaning behind that location. Take Kailua for example...okay I know it can't mean ocean toilet but then again maybe that's where the Hawaiians took their crap.
        How did you get "crap" out of Kailua?

lua = 2; dual
        kai = sea

It literally means 2 seas, probably referring to the currents, more so on the Big Island than Oahu.
        He mamo a Hina

Comment

Ah. Mahalo, Craig and Kalani, for posting your thoughts on this.

Originally posted by Kalani
          Not sure if you are referring to schools in general that teach Hawaiian or the immersion schools. The immersion schools encourage parents to learn the language so that the student will not only speak Hawaiian while in school, but also at home, further fostering the perpetuation and fluency in the language.
          I didn't realize there was that much of a difference! I didn't realize immersion programs went beyond the educational setting (I'm speaking of the public/parochial school system--not home education). I may not be clear on what "immersion" actually is; I thought it referred to an intense concentration of a particular cultural study.

I'm pleased to hear the school system is involving parents in that way. If Hawaiian is spoken in the home, yes--this securely anchors the language for this generation (they're so fortunate).

You'd be surprise at how often you run across the language nowadays. And even if that wasn't happening, that doesn't mean that you should stop learning Hawaiian.
          I agree. The language is at the heart of the culture. A student just can't get a clear understanding of Hawaiian culture--social history, geography, arts, etc.--if she knows nothing of the language. And of course, in the knowledge of the individual is where the language survives.
          ~'Ailina

Comment

I didn't realize immersion programs went beyond the educational setting (I'm speaking of the public/parochial school system--not home education). I may not be clear on what "immersion" actually is; I thought it referred to an intense concentration of a particular cultural study.
            Well, in some of the public schools and the community colleges and universities they offer Hawaiian language. But as far as fully immersion, those are limited to the 30 schools around the archipelago.

The number of students enrolled in the 2003 - 2004 school year from K-12:

Punana Leo o Hilo...........................................19
            Punana Leo o Kona...........................................9
            Punana Leo o Waimea......................................13
            Ka 'Umeke Ka'eo............................................1 22
            Kula 'o 'Ehunuikaimalino.................................. .120
            Big Island total............................................. .439

Punana Leo o Lahaina......................................18
            Punana Leo o Maui..........................................30
            Kula Kaiapuni Hawai'i 'o Nahi'ena'ena...................42
            Kula Kaiapuni Hawai'i 'o Pa'ia............................105
            Kula Kaiapuni Hawai'i 'o Kalama..........................39
            Kula Kaiapuni Hawai'i 'o Kekaulike.......................32
            Maui total............................................. .......266

Punana Leo o Moloka'i......................................20
            Kula Kaiapuni Hawai'i o Kualapu'u........................97
            Kula Kaiapuni Hawai'i o Moloka'i..........................47
            Moloka'i total............................................. ...164

Punana Leo o Honolulu.....................................19
            Punana Leo o Kawaiaha'o..................................24
            Punana Leo o Ko'olauloa...................................17
            Punana Leo o Wai'anae....................................15
            Kula Kaiapuni Hawai'i 'o Anuenue.......................330
            Kula Kaiapuni Hawai'i o Ko'olauloa.......................61
            Kula Kaiapuni Hawai'i o Nanakuli........................108
            Kula Kaiapuni Hawai'i o Pu'ohala........................123
            Kula Kaiapuni Hawai'i o Waiau...........................129
            Kula 'o Samuel M. Kamakau...............................91
            O'ahu total............................................. ......917

Punana Leo o Kaua'i.........................................18
            Kula Kaiapuni Hawai'i o Kapa'a............................82
            Kula Ni'ihau o Kekaha........................................25
            Kaua'i total............................................. .......125

Ke Kula o Ni'ihau........................................... ....41
            Ni'ihau total............................................. ........41

TOTAL in the islands..........................1,952

This does not count the number of students enrolled in the Hawaiian language classes at UH Manoa, UH Hilo, in the communty colleges, the public and private schools, graduates of the immersion schools and the univerisities and actual manaleo or native speakers who are above the age of 60.
            He mamo a Hina

Comment

This does not count the number of students enrolled in the Hawaiian language classes at UH Manoa, UH Hilo, in the communty colleges, the public and private schools, graduates of the immersion schools and the univerisities and actual manaleo or native speakers who are above the age of 60.
              Or to those of us on the mainland or elsewhere on the globe who are fluent, or pursuing distance learning! lol!

Well, I don't think our family "counts" yet. I don't know how far the Kulaiwi program goes, but I'm hoping the course will equip us for comfortable conversation.

I'm anxious to see how those stats change over the next three to five years!
              ~'Ailina

Comment

Or to those of us on the mainland or elsewhere on the globe who are fluent, or pursuing distance learning! lol!

Well, I don't think our family "counts" yet. I don't know how far the Kulaiwi program goes, but I'm hoping the course will equip us for comfortable conversation.

I'm anxious to see how those stats change over the next three to five years!
                Oops, I totally forgot about us on the mainland.
                He mamo a Hina

Comment

Oops, I totally forgot about us on the mainland.
                  Don't rub it in.
                  ~'Ailina

Comment

Right now, due to the immersion programs, 80% of all Hawaiian language speakers are 10 and under. Amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                      Take Kailua for example...okay I know it can't mean ocean toilet but then again maybe that's where the Hawaiians took their crap.

taaacky!

Comment

Originally posted by ilima View Post
                        Right now, due to the immersion programs, 80% of all Hawaiian language speakers are 10 and under. Amazing.
                        bump. This is amazing! I wonder if this stat is still legit. I hope the keikis can keep it up. Is it being taught in high school also?
                        [SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...
                        X