May Day Is Lei Day In Hawai'i!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• May Day Is Lei Day In Hawai'i!!

Happy Lei Day everyone!! How I remember this day with fondness. In elementary school we always celebrated it. Having a court with a King, Queen and Princesses of every island. I was a Princess for the island of Kauai. I wore Purple Satin. I felt like a real princess.heheheh

Every grade would perform a dance in front of the court and audience. The scent of flowers engulfed the school. Ahhhh..memories fills my hale this morning of yesteryear.

I also remember when my children were in school. How I use to go to see them take part in their May Day programs. The excitement of seeing my own children doing their performances, wearing their leis and aloha attire.

I can't wait for my grandchildren to do the same.

Whose going to a May Day Program today?

Don't forget to wear a fragrant beautiful LEI for May Day!

May Day is Lei Day in HAWAI'I!

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Re: May Day Is Lei Day In Hawai'i!!

Happy May Day Auntie Lynn, and to everyone else out there

Comment

I remember having to memorize this song for the May Day celebrations (which included dancing around a May Pole) at Wailuku Elementary School:

"...May Day is Lei Day in Hawai`i
      Garlands of flowers ev'rywhere,
      All of the colors in the rainbow
      Maidens with blossoms in their hair
      Flowers that mean we should be happy,
      Throwing aside a load of care,
      Oh, May Day is Lei Day in Hawai`i
      Lei Day is happy day out there."
      ~ Red Hawke, 1928
      Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Happy Lei Day :-)
        http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
        Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
        Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

I really, really need to stop and smell the ros...er...leis every May 1. May Day is my favorite special day and I tend to do nothing about it! When my kids were in school, the May Day festivities were awaited with eager anticipation. I loved their school celebrations. Then, a night with the Caz at the Shell was the icing on the cake. We'd put a huge group together...my ex and our friends, my kids and their friends...and rented a school bus that picked all of us up at our home. We'd load the bus with beach chairs, coolers and leis and get dropped off right at the entrance. What an incredibly fun day and night it was.

I haven't been to the Caz' show in 10 years. Shame on me. That is always such a magical show. I've just made a note on next year's calendar to take the day and evening off and devote it to the Lei Day celebration. It's such a wonderful tradition and I'm kicking myself really hard right now!

Comment

I hope I get lei'd today

Oh stop groaning. Someone was going to say it eventually, so it may as well be me.

Happy Lei Day all

DD
            www.myspace.com/chrislunainstrumentals

Comment

Originally posted by DiverDown808 View Post
              I hope I get lei'd today

Oh stop groaning. Someone was going to say it eventually, so it may as well be me.

Happy Lei Day all

DD
              Pretty much impossible to get lei'd here on the mainland....only plastic lei's here.

That's the one thing that really hits home that I'm in Hawaii, is when I go to the supermarket, and they have a big cooler full of fresh leis.

None of that here in Cali.
              http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
              Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
              Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by DiverDown808 View Post
                I hope I get lei'd today

Happy Lei Day all

DD

Hey Chirs, I hope that I get lei'd today too..
                Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)

Comment

Working...
                X