No announcement yet.

Class reunions: what are they good for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Class reunions: what are they good for?

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
    Gee, thanks. I already had a reunion by the time you grad.
    I made that remark because the first few posters are younger than yours truly. It made me realize that much time has passed
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
      I made that remark because the first few posters are younger than yours truly. It made me realize that much time has passed
      I know. There's a few on here that are older then me. That made me feel good. But I still had to rag you for feeling old when you are younger then me.

Comment

Originally posted by Composite 2992 View Post
        We just had a 50th birthday bash in Vegas last October and that was a great time. 10 schools gathered for that one, and a lot of us became friends with people who previously had only a graduating year as something in common.
        Eh! Was it at the Gold Coast Hotel? If it was...I was at dat one too!

Auntie Lynn
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Sheesh. Passed the 35th and kept going! Those makule buggas! I heard they neva like stop jamming, so after the 35th reunion, they scheduled ANOTHER one in Vegas! October. I prolly won't go. I can't drink that much any more. My head implodes.
          Well I am just a monkey man, I'm glad you are a monkey woman too.

Comment

I've been to a friend's class reunion, but never my own. I've heard stories of people hooking up with past flames, and starting affairs. My coworker did. She had an affair with a guy who had a mad crush on her in high school. He was married, and their affair lasted a year.

Comment

Feh.

Skipped the 10th (for a friend's wedding instead); went to the 20th (sorta boring) and the 30th (extremely boring.) Mostly attended by people who left that ugly midwestern burg; few of the folks still living there came - and those that did were usually big civic boosters for a dead town - folks who inherited their fathers' businesses.

The only people from my class with whom I would want to stay in touch are folks with whom I have stayed in touch.

(What can I say? It was a dull place to go to school, in a dull city, and the least dull people escaped when they were able.)

Comment

Class of 76. I skipped my first because I never had a boyfriend in high school, never got to go prom, etc., I skipped my 10th because I was still not yet ready. But by the time my 20th rolled around, I felt it was time. I had a blast, I was over the slights, and it was great to see how hard some fell and how well some did. I took my husband to my 30th last summer and I had soooo much fun. I danced so much that the next morning I fell on the hotel room floor on my way to the bathroom because I had hurt my hip. (When I was done I did some yoga to work all that out). My class has its reunion every five years and I hope to make everyone from now on. My sibblings aren't interested and don't know why I bother.
                Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

I will admit, i felt the same way Mike. I had BIG apprehensions about attending my 10 year, a couple of years ago. For the most part, anyone I liked or had as a friend back then is still a friend today.

The best part was running into people that back then were the uppity pretentious type, always "well to do"(and I was just the opposite) and finding out that they are waiting tables or still living at home. Hope that does not come across bad, but back then I was the long hair in the wrong group, the least likely to succeed type I guess, but I have come a LONG way since then, and it was nice to have that acknowledged.

All in all I am glad I did attend.
                  flickr

An email from God:
                  To: People of Earth
                  Date: 9/04/2007
                  Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                  God

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                    Eh! Was it at the Gold Coast Hotel? If it was...I was at dat one too!

Auntie Lynn
                    That was the one. I recall seeing some of the women dancing on the stage and thinking that back when I was a kid, 50-year-old women didn't look like THAT!

Was fun. They're planning something for the 56th birthday (since that was the year we were born) and something for the 35th reunion. I think from this point we're going to attend the Hawaii '74 events instead of our own class reunions -- more people and a lot more interesting.

Besides, the folks we met from the other schools are a blast. One of them is now the banker for our business account!

Comment

Originally posted by Composite 2992 View Post
                      That was the one. I recall seeing some of the women dancing on the stage and thinking that back when I was a kid, 50-year-old women didn't look like THAT!
                      HAHAHAHAHA

I used to say the same ting!

50 year olds still can Boogie!

I won a Gold Coast Hat for being in Da Finals ~ da only WAHINE!hahahaha

'74 RULES!!!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

I went to all of my reunions and funny thing is, I only went to Hilo High School for my freshman and sophmore years! Junior and senior year, I attended the dawn patrol at Honolii beach and my major was hitting the lip and riding the tube!

Despite that, The women in my class always call me personally to invite me. I have been to my 10th, 2oth, and next year 2008 will be my 25th year!

At my 20th year reunion in 2003, I wore a tight black shirt and really flaunted it! LOL! I went with my two surf buddies Dale and Kito and we had a great time! I was surprised at this one girl coming up to our table, then sat on my lap, and saying in front everyone she was all in love with me back then, Crap! I was in love with that very hapa haole girl too back then!!! Way too late for this kind stuff.... and I am glad we were just braddah sistah friend kine back then .. The next day when the spouses came along, hoa da embarrasing when I saw that same girl when I was with my wife....

Heres a picture from my 20th reunion back in 2003. I am greatful to possess my mother"s genetics, but fight my fathers bad ones on a daily basis through diet and exercise.
                        Last edited by Hilo Artist; June 17, 2007, 11:45 PM.

Comment

Reunions become what you want to make of them. My class, Hilo 1966, is relatively large at 643 grads, compared with most of today's schools. In my time, Farrington had the largest classes with 800-900 grads, while McKinley, Kaimuki, and Roosevelt in the 600-700 range. We normally get a 15-30% turnout for the "traditional" reunions at the five-year intervals and less for "off-year" festivities.

I did not attend the first reunion at 10 years, but have attended all others except the joint "yakudoshi" (age 41) one held in Las Vegas (1989) with the class of 1965. These were the 15th, 19th (beer-bust supposedly a planning meeting for the 20th), the 20th, 25th, age 45 (27th), 28th, 30th, age 50 (32nd), 35th, age 55 (37th), 39th (excuse to go the Vegas), and 40th (held in conjunction with the school's centennial). I headed the planning committees for the 25th, age 45, age 50, and age 55 reunions. While I will NOT be the official head of the upcoming age 60 gathering in 2008, I'll be deeply involved once again.

It seems that early reunions are the times of "showing other people up" in regard to how well you're doing. That's with the gold chains, diamond pinkie rings, exotic sports cars, etc. What happened to the BMOC jock (he's now BALD!), the cheerleaders (who's now FAT!), the prom and homecoming court, the student council leaders? Who has the most kids, husbands, wives? Some people are still caught up in the A-class vs. B-class vs. C-class stuff. These feelings should lessen with the passage of time, but not always.

We have been fortunate in that most of those who choose to participate and attend represent a good cross-section of the community. Every reunion since the 25th have brought together some new attendees. I would venture to say that a lot of the old barriers have melted away with the passing years. My so-called high school gang has continued on with the addition of many others whom we did not know very well (if at all) - we've been INCLUSIVE rather than EXCLUSIVE. The NEW GANG is alive and well! We enjoy each others' successes and commiserate with their tragedies.

We continue to keep people informed of our activities although some have never attended any functions and have shown no inclination to do so. My dream is to hold one with 250+ attending (spouses/guests included). I have "worked my A** off" for them and will continue to do so. I don't worry about what non-attendees think; I'll work for those who care enough to show up and cater to their perspectives.
                          Last edited by oceanpacific; June 18, 2007, 12:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
                            Reunions become what you want to make of them. My class, Hilo 1966, is relatively large at 643 grads, compared with most of today's schools. In my time, Farrington had the largest classes with 800-900 grads, while McKinley, Kaimuki, and Roosevelt in the 600-700 range. We normally get a 15-30% turnout for the "traditional" reunions at the five-year intervals and less for "off-year" festivities.

I did not attend the first reunion at 10 years, but have attended all others except the joint "yakudoshi" (age 41) one held in Las Vegas (1989) with the class of 1965. These were the 15th, 19th (beer-bust supposedly a planning meeting for the 20th), the 20th, 25th, age 45 (27th), 28th, 30th, age 50 (32nd), 35th, age 55 (37th), 39th (excuse to go the Vegas), and 40th (held in conjunction with the school's centennial). I headed the planning committees for the 25th, age 45, age 50, and age 55 reunions. While I will NOT be the official head of the upcoming age 60 gathering in 2008, I'll be deeply involved once again.

It seems that early reunions are the times of "showing other people up" in regard to how well you're doing. That's with the gold chains, diamond pinkie rings, exotic sports cars, etc. What happened to the BMOC jock (he's now BALD!), the cheerleaders (who's now FAT!), the prom and homecoming court, the student council leaders? Who has the most kids, husbands, wives? Some people are still caught up in the A-class vs. B-class vs. C-class stuff. These feelings should lessen with the passage of time, but not always.

We have been fortunate in that most of those who choose to participate and attend represent a good cross-section of the community. Every reunion since the 25th have brought together some new attendees. I would venture to say that a lot of the old barriers have melted away with the passing years. My so-called high school gang has continued on with the addition of many others whom we did not know very well (if at all) - we've been INCLUSIVE rather than EXCLUSIVE. The NEW GANG is alive and well! We enjoy each others' successes and commiserate with their tragedies.

We continue to keep people informed of our activities although some have never attended any functions and have shown no inclination to do so. My dream is to hold one with 250+ attending (spouses/guests included). I have "worked my A** off" for them and will continue to do so. I don't worry about what non-attendees think; I'll work for those who care enough to show up and cater to their perspectives.

Just look at that picture I posted LOL! To funny with my skin tight black shirt and 12mm gold chain...I guess you could say I am a victim of conformity.... I have sinced matured a little, havent worn that gold chain since 2003 and gave it to my daughter who is bling bling in 6th grade.

Wasn't trying to show anyone up though, just proud of my acomplishments in life and having a good time with folks who I never really spent enough time with. Back in High School, The teachers would say I was the one who would amount up to being a homeless beach surfer or in jail. They were wrong! I amounted to being a homeless artist and just got probation!

If I were to turn back the hands of time and do it again, I would probably still been a surfer, but atteded school more ,maybe even joined one of those service clubs. After high school,I made up for all my rebellious ways by graduating from UH and doing choke community service!

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
                              Reunions become what you want to make of them.

You nailed it!!! Das the TRUTH! Reunions are Special especially, wen you get older. Moa and Moa of your classmates are on the list of those who died. You wonder if you'll be next? Other's are ill but putting on a Smile juss to have FuN and be part of the magical days and nights spending with classmates. There is no time for "I'm betta den you" or "Dropping names" syndrome!! We all are EQUALS!!!

Mahalo

Auntie Lynn

Comment

We especially rejoice in the successes of those whose counselors saw them as future file clerks and mailroom messengers, but who exceeded those dire "predictions" by a mile.

Such as one of our surfer boys who is today a well-regarded CPA/controller of an affiliate of a major local foundation. Another CPA who is controller and VP/Secretary/Treasurer of a major retailer. Another went into the military and "grew up" after his Vietnam tour. He graduated from UH, works with the IRS, and rose to Major General and regional commanding officer of the Army Reserve.

The self-described "screw-off" who barely, by his own words, got to march with us at commencement, went to the military, then graduated from college with an electronics engineering degree. The girl who was told she was not "college material," but found success as the personnel director in one of the municipal departments. And the heavy equipment mechanic who rose to Public Works Director.

None of these people were "honor" grads. We have our share of doctors, lawyers, engineers, accountants, teachers, and the like. But, the bulk are "salt-of-the-earth" types who have managed to find their niche and have nothng to apologize for.

There are some who still harbor smouldering resentment for alleged "slights" and snubs which happened long ago. I say, "get over it." The chances are that most of those who offended you have matured and don't harbor such feeling anymore. If they do, they're the "losers," anyway.

Reunions are times to reminisce, catch up, re-create, and re-inforce memories with those who have played meaningful roles of your lives. I try to bring it back with "oldies" music, video productions, and trivia quizzes to jog those memory cells.

Comment

Working...
                                X