No announcement yet.

Class reunions: what are they good for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Class reunions: what are they good for?

My first one is coming up in summer '08, but I'm not so sure if I want to go. Is it a waste of $ and time? What the heck do people do at a reunion? Gloat? Freak?

Share your experiences.
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Re: Class reunions: what are they good for?

Awww...sweet people can get together and reminisce about really good times, and maybe about the bad too, lessons learned, etc.

however, you dang straight that people sunbathe, starve and shop for things to wear to try to look like they've done better than anyone else, LOL. Pure ego food for many, cuz I mean afterall, the people that meant the most to us we probably didn't lose contact with. However, it can help to find one lost friend by giong to one of these things.

I went to my ten year, it was sweet but even then as a discerning person I could see a couple of showoffs, heck, I went to mine for two reasons....to hang with people I really dug in the past, and two....I had lost 140lbs, LOL!
    Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

My own isn't until later on this year, but I attended Kamehameha 97's 10 year reunion last week at Planet Hollywood as my best friend's date. Between the people I met at UH plus the fact that one of their classmates was my high school ex, I already knew quite a number of people there.

My ex was there with his new fiancee. It was a horrible breakup, but we were civil to each other. She may have the 2 carat, but I'm still skinny, and she isn't.

KS97 had a slideshow movie playing on the screens throughout the restaurant. The entire 2nd floor was reserved for us, and the food was served via buffet line. They had live Hawaiian music as well as raffle prizes. All money collected for the raffles went toward scholarships for Kamehameha students.

The majority of us got wasted, the party moved on to the YardHouse after...all in all, I'd say it was a damn good reunion.

My reunion isn't till later on this year because this summer, too many of my classmates were getting married/expecting. Also, airfares were cheaper for the ones who need to fly home.

Am I going to gloat? Absolutely. A lot of people treated me like isht in high school -- and I know for a fact that those same girls are the ones who started popping kids out right out of high school and no longer look decent. I may not be married or with kids, but I'll make sure to brag about my degrees and my international adventures.

I'm on the reunion committee because the chair wanted all "cliques" represented in hopes of a good turnout. All the superficial things put aside, I can't wait to see the 90% of the class I haven't seen since 1997.
      Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
      We're not here to mess around
      Boston, you know we love you madly
      Hear the crowd roar to your sound
      Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
      You know we couldn't live without you
      Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

LOL Leiliko, congratulations on having cool things to gloat about! I will admit....grinning here, that one of the cheerleaders that had actually told me to my face when I was fatter, that when she was around me, she didnt' know why but it made her want to eat, LOL.

Then, seeing her when she'd gotten to 160lbs was uh.......uh....okay, I am terrible, LOL something to gloat about, seeing as I ended up losing a total of 160lbs...what she weighed. (I had been the fattest person in our whole school during high school,.....argh, I should write a book, what a sad few years it was, in many ways)
        Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

We just attended my husband's high school reunion last year. I believe it was the 10th Anyways....basically everyone who hated him in high school was super nice and sat and chitter chattered and we just watched everyone get WASTED and act like they were in high school for 3 hours.
          What a bunch of sluts were attending his high school! Geez! women getting drunk and topless, and men grabbing every inch of skin they could...

Kind of like a big frat party!
          Everyone booked a hotel so they wouldn't drink and drive and many high school crushes hooked up...it was odd.

But the next day, the hungover parents had a picnic. We all visited and had a nice picnic.
          Overall? We would not attend again. But it was fun meeting up with his real friends he said and bittersweet seeing the old people who picked on him and beta him up, now speak to him like they were his best friend and ask to exchange phone numbers.

He took it all with a grain assault. Smiled and visited then said goodbye.
          Since when is psycho a bad thing??
          Sharing withother survivors...
          www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Man I feel old . My 10 year class reunion was during the summer of 2004. It was at Kona Brewing Company here in Kona. It was very awkward experience.See I didn't have great time in high school, I got harassed a lot . But nonetheless it was worth it to see how much people changed over the 10 years.
            Check out my blog on Kona issues :
            The Kona Blog

Comment

K-den...Class Reunions.

I missed my Ten Year Reunion.

I went to my 20th!

OMG!!! The changes were BIG!!! hahahaha

I mean Real Big!!!

It was great to see old friends and find out what everyone accomplished after High School.

This past Oct. I went to my 50th Birthday Bash Reunion in Las Vegas. Several schools from Oahu celebrated with McKinley. Class of 74' rules!!

Once again, we were transported back in time. We danced to Disco, played games and acted like teenagers. It was FuN!! The best was when we gathered for the last time and each school sang their class song. As the Pep Chairman for mine, I didn't choose our Ala Mater. Instead, I chose "Black and Gold is Waving...Boy's we're back of you!"

I dedicated it to all our classmates who we lost.

It was awesome and touching as we sang from our hearts in unison with
              pride.

Leading my Classmates singing "Black and Gold is waving..."

"...Boys, we're back of you!"

Go Tigers!!!!

Auntie Lynn
              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Graduating from AIEA HIGH 1986 that is.......
                There was a 5 yr yes a FIVE YEAR REUNION in 1991
                I obviously skipped that one....
                From what I heard it was a Loooooooooow Turnout, REALLY who goes to their 5 after leaving high school. Toooooo sooooooon IMO!
                When the traditional "10 Year" came I definately made a date for that one!

The idea of attending your first one is to see who:

- Who Changed or Not in appearance
                - Who is making the most $$$
                - Who get kids and how many
                - If so and so was a couple during school are they still together or not
                - Whos happily married or got divorced
                - Whos still living the single life

so on and so forth

When I went to mines:

there was a lot of ppl still clung together like cliques when they were in High School, a lot of them still nevah change, A LOT OF SNOBS

Some I that I lost touched with were nice and friendly with me

I am glad that I attended mines

When the 20 came I was unable to go cuz I stay over hea now...

Comment

I know scriv's all about helping plan reunions, but I don't know if anyone else here has been part of the committee.

For the most part, I get along with the committee. Still, I noticed that some of them (the girls from the A-list back then) are WAYYYYYY into this than others. It's good because the work gets done -- but part of me can't help but think that they're still hanging on to who they were.

Really, it's as if re-living the glory days of 10 years ago is all they have left.
                  Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                  We're not here to mess around
                  Boston, you know we love you madly
                  Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                  Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                  You know we couldn't live without you
                  Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

I grad in.....back in the hippy days, and our class is still as apathetic as it was back then. When I check the class reunion websites, our class has the fewest registered members, no pics and no one is talking. I can probably count on one hand how many reunions I received notices for and I never attended any of them. Too busy with one thing or another.

I met up with one of the organizers and she was busy with her business and worked on the reunion stuff only when time allowed. She admitted it was rough as she never did have a complete and current list of surviving classmates. This was over 5 years ago.

I figure it this way, if I did go to one, we'd only be comparing how much hair we have left and talk about "shrinking" clothes. <LOL>

Comment

Man, I wish I could go to one. I wanna know what happened to all them peeps. I wanna see how they turned out.

I never even went grad, I'm not even sure what year it woulda been...74, 75?

So...if anyone can tell me jus what year Waialua High wen grad Donna Osbourn, Mike and Pat Boe, Ricky de le Cruz, John Mauer, Emily Santiago, and a bunch of others who I rememeber the names of when I see their faces...please tell.
                      http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                      http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Okay the 10th reunion for me (Kalani 78) was a blast. Girls who I thought were untouchable back then asked me why I never asked them out then (Oh yeah now she tells me )

On the 20th reunion all the guys and gals that were flirting with each other (never mind they were married already) at the 10th are now married to each other...hmmm I think at least one of my classmates must have been a divorce lawyer

Now on the cusp of the 30th (next year 2008) I wonder what to expect?
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

We just had a 50th birthday bash in Vegas last October and that was a great time. 10 schools gathered for that one, and a lot of us became friends with people who previously had only a graduating year as something in common.

Other reunions from our school were fairly well attended. The 10th. The 20th. Then it started to dwindle a bit. Perhaps our class was a bit closer knit than others so it's always great to catch up with old friends, and even the ones who used to seem either unapproachable or simply too different were no longer strangers.

As years pass it appears we have more similarities than differences.

And I ended up marrying someone I met at one of the later reunions -- we never talked back in high school as we were in entirely different social circles -- but two decades later we discovered that we were well suited for one another after all.

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
                            Man I feel old . My 10 year class reunion was during the summer of 2004.
                            Gee, thanks. I already had a reunion by the time you grad.

I think most have covered it. Reunions are a whole different thing then high school. In my case many of my friends didn't come. So I ended up talking to "distant friends".

Based on my experience, I'd say those hoping to revisit the past are likely to be disappointed - too much has changed. But at the same time, those who don't want to go because they hated high school - you might find it worth the trip. People have grown older and mellowed out. They aren't into those games anymore. You may find people apologizing for how they treated you. (I was a geek before being a geek was cool.)

As long as you're reasonably comfortable about where you are in life - go. It will be therapeutic. You'll probably surprise yourself and even enjoy it.

Comment

I couldn't make it to my 10th, but made sure I attended my 20th. That was worth it. Nobody cares anymore. It wasn't about jobs, looks, accomplishments. It was a room filled with people who were genuinely curious and caring about how each other turned out. Smiles and hugs and good times for everyone. No cliquing happened, but everybody clicked. I had a graduating class of almost 450, and about 150 showed up. Pretty good, considering.

pax

Comment

Working...
                              X