X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pomai
    replied
    Re: Blue Angels Over Kaneohe '07: SH-60B Sea Hawk

Sea Hawk chopper's 25-tube Sonobuoy launcher...

Control Station for the Sonobuoy system...

Hey, watch where you point that!...

Leave a comment:

• Pomai
    replied
    Re: Blue Angels Over Kaneohe '07

Put that ZZ Top back in the CD player...

This is a cool shot, with Aloha Airlines and the Koolau range in the background...

As much as I love cars, I have no idea what year, make and model these classics are. If you know, once again please let us know!

Leave a comment:

• Pomai
    replied

Na Alii, nice shots. Much more detail than I could get.

I'm guessing this Ferrari was the most expensive STOCK car at the show...

Couple of race cars there could have been more.

I have no idea what these next two classics are. If you know, let us know...

Leave a comment:

• GeckoGeek
    replied

Originally posted by EastCoastTropics View Post

Wow, they still do this?! This move is soooo cool.
    Oh yes. I remember them doing it in 2004, so I went hunting on the Internet to find their show and figure out when it was coming.

Maybe I'm just strange, but I can have almost as much fun just watching the planes flyby at close range as at show center. Put me on a hill top near the turn around point or the path and I'm happy.

Leave a comment:

• EastCoastTropics
    replied

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
    During the Echelon Roll, just as it's completing and your attention is on the formation, one solo come in from the left. Right on the deck. If you're not on the front row, you can't see him. All I saw (and I was looking for it) was the moisture coming off the wings as he screams down the runway just under he speed of sound. No sooner then you start to recover from that one, the other solo come from behind the line and shoots overhead.
    Wow, they still do this?! This move is soooo cool. Saw this BA move at an airshow at Pease AFB in Portsmouth, NH, what, I can't recall.....maybe 10-14 years ago? It was the year my oldest daughter had her photo taken in the mini F-16. Went with my oldest daughter, a friend and SIL and we had a blast! The best part about this move is the solo coming from behind makes ya duck!

Leave a comment:

• na alii
    replied

Leave a comment:

• na alii
    replied

Last edited by na alii; October 15, 2007, 12:08 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Leo Lakio
    replied

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
    I'm not sure what the blue car is
    '53 Chevy, according to the AF's father. (Her folks are visiting us from Kane`ohe for a couple weeks - thus they are missing this weekend's show - and are overjoyed to see your great photos.)

Leave a comment:

• GeckoGeek
    replied

Hey, hey, hey! You're supposed to wrap that part in SPOILER TAGS!
    Oops.

Did you get any photos? Buss' 'em out brah!
    I have to figure out where to put them first - and then get to it.

One thing I think is important when composing these shots is at least getting some sense of place; in this case being the Koolau range in the background. Otherwise if it's just the planes in the air, it could have been shot in Texas or California. You want the viewer to know this took place in Hawaii!
    Agreed. Which is why you DON'T want a long lens at times.

Announcing over the PA system: "Will GeckoGeek please come forward to the flight line. We have Number 2 seat waiting for you"...
    <Mad disturbance in crowd>

PA: "Will the REAL GeckoGeek come forward?"

Yeah, I'd take the ride. Hell yes, I'd take the ride!!

Leave a comment:

• Pomai
    replied

For those wanting the challenge of getting the sneak pass, there's only one: A double.

During the Echelon Roll, just as it's completing and your attention is on the formation, one solo come in from the left. Right on the deck. If you're not on the front row, you can't see him. All I saw (and I was looking for it) was the moisture coming off the wings as he screams down the runway just under he speed of sound. No sooner then you start to recover from that one, the other solo come from behind the line and shoots overhead.
    Hey, hey, hey! You're supposed to wrap that part in SPOILER TAGS!

OH! Those are flyers! They pass them out to the left of the grandstand after the show. (Right where you were. You didn't bag too early, did you?)
    Nope. While I didn't wait at the flight line to meet the pilots, I DID stay for several hours walking around the tarmac taking all those pictures posted here. Did you get any photos? Buss' 'em out brah!

For sure I don't have enough "lens" (like Mel) to grab a really detailed shot of something like this, although I did get it!...

And this...

One thing I think is important when composing these shots is at least getting some sense of place; in this case being the Koolau range in the background. Otherwise if it's just the planes in the air, it could have been shot in Texas or California. You want the viewer to know this took place in Hawaii!

Announcing over the PA system: "Will GeckoGeek please come forward to the flight line. We have Number 2 seat waiting for you"...

Leave a comment:

• GeckoGeek
    replied

Wait, wait, wait... stop the jet! OK, since when was BA #2 a 2-seater?! AAAAAAAnnnd..... why in the HELL is the back seat EMPTY! If nobody wanted to ride, I'LL GO!
    Oh, is that was the pilot was talking about? Some of the kids was asking him about that. He said two of the planes broke down so they left them in LA.

They may have repainted the number. That might be the one that's normally #8.

The two seater of course is for giving media rides. Hmmmm. Who got to ride on this visit?

Leave a comment:

• GeckoGeek
    replied

Excuse me sir, I know you're busy with the an airshow, but your wife sent this UPS package of Beef Jerky from Las Vegas (see box on ground)...
    OH! Those are flyers! They pass them out to the left of the grandstand after the show. (Right where you were. You didn't bag too early, did you?) Then the 8 pilots take up station there and sign them. Kids and teens seem to get priority attention. (Recruiting, don't cha know?) Just be patient and let them get to you. The crowd for #1 seem to be the largest.
    Last edited by GeckoGeek; October 14, 2007, 10:46 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Pomai
    replied

One word of advice, leave your leatherman (or other pocket knife) in the car. They do have metal detectors at the entrance, but it's far easier then TSA.
    Don't bring any drugs either. They have Sentry Dogs at the gate ready to sniff you out.

Fans wave as the Angels head out for Saturday's 3:30pm performance...

Maximum thrust in a stall pass...

Excuse me sir, I know you're busy with the an airshow, but your wife sent this UPS package of Beef Jerky from Las Vegas (see box on ground)...

Leave a comment:

• GeckoGeek
    replied

One word of advice, leave your leatherman (or other pocket knife) in the car. They do have metal detectors at the entrance, but it's far easier then TSA.

Took me an hour to get parked on base. Back log stared by the saddle road near Kalaheao High School on the H3 and creeped bumper to bumper from there. (I joined the line a little after 11AM) I ended up parking on the other side. Existing was a little faster, but they herded us out the back gate.

Now to figure out a good spot outside of the base to watch today's show. Too far away to see the show itself, but to catch some flybys.

There's also an area back behind the Galaxy where they have a UH-1 and some gear (rifles, helmets) the kids can pose with.

For those wanting the challenge of getting the sneak pass, there's only one: A double.

Here's my notes that I took from on-line videos from the 2007 shows in other areas. They didn't quite follow it as the clouds moved in so they did the "flat show". Today may be better.

Some of the notes are inaccurate as in come cases they come in from in front or behind the line rather then left or right. (such is the limitation of looking at videos.)

The Parade is unique and a good photo op. That where they are in a line close together. After that the two solos go at each other and then the maneuver where the sneak takes place.

Enjoy! (Come on Mel, we want to see those photos! )

F=Formation
    S=Solo
    L->R = Left to Right

F R->L Diamond Pass in Review
    S Opposing Knife Edge Pass
    F R->L Diamond Roll
    S Opposing Inverted to Inverted Rolls
    F L->R Simultaneous Diamond Aileron Rolls
    S R->L Fortus (one inverted)
    F L->R Diamond Dirty (gear down) Loop
    S L->R Minimum Radius Turn
    F R->L Double Farvel (two inverted)
    S L->R Crossover Break and Opposing Minimum Radius Turns
    F R->L Echelon PARADE (Stacked)
    S Opposing Horizontal Rolls
    F L->R Left Echelon Roll and L SNEAK PASSES

5F R->L Line Abreast Loop
    S Opposing Four Point Rolls
    F L->R Vertical Break (Line -> Diamond -> flower)
    S Opposing Pitch Up (Cross, Loop, Cross)
    F Tuck Under Roll (Follow the leader roll)
    2S R->L Section High Alpha Pass (SLOW)
    F R->L Barrel Roll Break (Loop with break at bottom)
    2S R->L Double Tuck Over Roll (formation)
    F L-> Low Break Cross and Crossover (roll out)
    6F R-> Delta Roll
    6 L-> RFleur De Lis
    6F R-> Delta Loop Break
    Delta Pitch to Land
    Last edited by GeckoGeek; October 14, 2007, 10:34 AM.

Leave a comment:

• helen
    replied

Your picture of the C-5 showing the front ramp down and the nose up does answer an age old question as to what happens to the cockpit when the nose goes up.

Was there a flying demostration of the C-17? One of the TV news showed it flying during the practice run.
    Last edited by helen; October 14, 2007, 10:11 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X