Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: California wildfires

Originally posted by genepark View Post
    Besides the rampant elitism and cultural ignorance in the area, the Santa Ana winds were my least favorable aspect of living in otherwise lovely Southern California.
    The only good things about Santa Ana winds are that they blow the smog offshore, which in turn creates some very pretty sunsets (as the smog diffuses the colors).
    I've been following these horrible fires on CNN and elsewhere. Did any of you see the satelllite photos showing all the smoke blowing offshore? WOW. And apparently the Santa Ana winds will continue for two more days, with no rain.
    My thoughts and prayers go out to all of you folks who live there and/or have family there.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by genepark View Post
      Besides the rampant elitism and cultural ignorance in the area, the Santa Ana winds were my least favorable aspect of living in otherwise lovely Southern California.
      Ignorance of what culture may I ask?
      “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
      http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
        The only good things about Santa Ana winds are that they blow the smog offshore, ........
        ....... Did any of you see the satelllite photos showing all the smoke blowing offshore? WOW. And apparently the Santa Ana winds will continue for two more days, with no rain........
        I'm wondering if we will start to smell the smoke from the fires here in Hawaii or if the smoke will disipate before it gets here? Then we will see how "Good" it really it is.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
          Hey all you San Diegans...STAY SAFE. Breaking news on MSNBC:
          250,000 people in San Diego County alone have been evacuated. The live pictures are horrendous.
          One of our interns came into work this morning in tears. Apparently her father called her at 5AM this morning asking about the belongings she wanted them to save from her bedroom. It broke my heart so much that I wanted to cry along with her.
          Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
          We're not here to mess around
          Boston, you know we love you madly
          Hear the crowd roar to your sound
          Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
          You know we couldn't live without you
          Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
            One of our interns came into work this morning in tears. Apparently her father called her at 5AM this morning asking about the belongings she wanted them to save from her bedroom. It broke my heart so much that I wanted to cry along with her.
            How horrible. My heart goes out to her.

sinjin, certainly not pop culture. I lived mostly in Orange County, among the nation's richest and most conservative counties. I'd rather not derail the discussion further, but simply look to TV's Bluth family in "Arrested Development" to know what I'm talking about.
            ---
            Gene

"A man can surely do what he wills to do, but cannot determine what he wills." - Schopenhauer

Comment

Friend of mine sent me this San Diego Google-map:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...42957&z=9&om=1

here's a little screen-shot, for those disinclined to clicking:
              Attached Files
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

No school in our city until further notice. The next town over and the town above us are both having a mandatory evacuation. Our area of town is under a "voluntary evacuation" right now due to how bad the smoke is here. It's even a bit smokey in my house. I took more pictures today that I will load up in a bit.
                I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Lei, Please take your Ohana and go to safer ground.

Auntie Lynn
                  Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                  Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Our city is packed with everyone from the mountains and other cities so figuring out a place to go is the issue. A few of the freeways are shut down and are only open to those evacuating out of mandatory evacuation areas. A few streets down from me the cops have a whole intersection blocked off to clear the roads for those who absolutely have to evacuate. CDF is using one of our public parks around here as a base camp to fight the surrounding fires.

Comment

Sent a Prayer to you.

Keep us posted dear.

Auntie Lynn
                      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Here is the sky around my house and area of town early this morning. It just got worse through the day so we ended up staying indoors. But now it's even sort of hazy IN my house. The wind is starting to pick up again outside. My youngest one is having a hard time breathing and all of our eyes and lungs feel like crap.

Right by my house early this AM:

Through my part of town:

Comment

A few blocks over:

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                            Sent a Prayer to you.

Keep us posted dear.

Auntie Lynn
                            I mahalo you Auntie. I really do.

*had to fix what I quoted. Oops. But again Auntie you know you are dear to me too.
                            Last edited by Lei K; October 23, 2007, 04:37 PM.

Comment

So where is everyone going?
                              We're talking 1 million evacuees and
                              maybe 15 thousand at some stadium.
                              What I caught on the news anyway.

So where is everyone going?
                              Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

San Diego county is a catastrophe of epic proportions. So far my daughter is unscathed and that fire is now headed away from her home. For how long, who knows. It takes just one, wayward ember to change all that. She's offered her spare bedroom to San Diego acquaintances who are under mandatory evacuation and they're trying to find their way out of SD.

Take care, Lei, and listen to Auntie!!! Oh wait, you're right. There's nowhere to go. Man, I feel for all of you affected by the fires. The "trickle down" disasters, when this is all over, will be horrendous...as New Orleans and surrounding areas found out.

Comment

Working...
                                X