California wildfires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: California wildfires

Camp Pendleton issued a statement to military personnel and family living in their housing and barracks that only key personnel will have to report to the base all others were told not to report in.

Here's an exerpt from their official website:

1712 October 23, 2007

Camp Pendleton officials have announced that,
    effective immediately, only key and essential personnel, to include I Marine
    Expeditionary Force and Marine Corps Base personnel, should report aboard
    the base on Oct. 24 at 7:30 a.m.

All other military members and DoD employees will not be required to report
    to work due to safety concerns. However, they must contact their
    organizations and provide an update to their status.

Updates are available through the individual's chain of command, KPEN TV
    Channel 18, the base information hotline at (866) 430-2764.

For detailed information regarding the fires in San Diego check out the San Diego County Emergency Homepage. It's very descriptive.
    Last edited by craigwatanabe; October 23, 2007, 07:12 PM.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Some are calling these "wildfires". A fire chief has said at least some appear intentionally set and that the people who did some of them "knew what they were doing". I'm trying to find the link for that quote.

http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/story?se...cal&id=5721020

Funny how the satellite photos show smoke and fires right down to the Mexican border and then stop.

Comment

Originally posted by kamuelakea View Post
        Some are calling these "wildfires". A fire chief has said at least some appear intentionally set and that the people who did some of them "knew what they were doing". I'm trying to find the link for that quote.[...]
        I don't have a link for you but my daughter and I were talking about that yesterday. We both heard that the Irvine fires were intentionally set in 3 places. Today she said she heard on the news that whoever is responsible really knew what they were doing to the point that the fire authority suspects it could've been a former fire fighter.

At this point I think the term "wildfires" is just a catch-all for the overall situation.

Comment

Lei, be safe!

Those pics make me shudder. I watched on youtube about the poor newscaster who reported from his own home of 25 years that got burnt in the fire. So sad.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
            So where is everyone going?
            We're talking 1 million evacuees and
            maybe 15 thousand at some stadium.
            What I caught on the news anyway.

So where is everyone going?
            I'm sure many are staying over at family's or friend's not affected by the evacuation.

Comment

I heard on the news this morning that they are looking into terrorism as the culprit for the fires because of an Al-qaida threat back in June. Not sure how much, if any, evidence they have but it seems that everyone automatically assumes terrorism is the cause of all disasters since 911. Interesting.

Here's a newslink.
              So long...and thanks for all the fish!

Comment

http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cal...f_October_2007
                “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Funny how the satellite photos show smoke and fires right down to the Mexican border and then stop.
                  http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/m...-1n23baja.html
                  http://www.wunderground.com/wximage/...ry=CURRWEATHER
                  This one shows fire in the Ensanada area:
                  http://archive.hpwren.ucsd.edu/SDW/V...S/20071022.gif
                  Last edited by sinjin; October 24, 2007, 05:44 AM.
                  “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                  http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

For information on the San Diego are - this site updates every few minutes and has provided me with the best information so far....
                    So long...and thanks for all the fish!

Comment

I just now spoke with a friend who's a senior pilot for Hawaiian Airlines and does the HNL-LAX run. He just flew back to HNL yesterday and told me that the smoke being blown offshore is visible almost 1,000 miles from the California coast... about halfway to Hawaii.
                      He said they could actually smell the smoke inside the aircraft, and also that the smoke goes from about the 1,000' elevation clear up to 20,000'.
                      My continued thoughts and prayers for you folks...

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Some are calling these "wildfires". A fire chief has said at least some appear intentionally set and that the people who did some of them "knew what they were doing". I'm trying to find the link for that quote.

http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/story?se...cal&id=5721020

Wildfires is the technical term for what most people call brush fires.

They stop at the Mexican border huh? I knew that damned wall they put up there would benefit Mexico one way or another!

I was there in the 2003 wildfires, which were actually bigger believe it or not, at least so far. The fires make the skies appear otherworldly.
                        ---
                        Gene

"A man can surely do what he wills to do, but cannot determine what he wills." - Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                          I just now spoke with a friend who's a senior pilot for Hawaiian Airlines and does the HNL-LAX run. He just flew back to HNL yesterday and told me that the smoke being blown offshore is visible almost 1,000 miles from the California coast... about halfway to Hawaii.
                          He said they could actually smell the smoke inside the aircraft, and also that the smoke goes from about the 1,000' elevation clear up to 20,000'.
                          My continued thoughts and prayers for you folks...

I would think the scent of smoke must have entered the plane via passenger's clothing or while the plane was on the ground and it's cabin doors open.

I would shudder to think that smoke at a cruising height of 20,000 feet and 1000-miles out at sea is entering the cabin thru a "vent" as most airline cabins such as those flown by Hawaiian Airlines are sealed and pressurized.

Come on LikaNui I thought you were smarter than that
                          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                            I would think the scent of smoke must have entered the plane via passenger's clothing or while the plane was on the ground and it's cabin doors open.
                            Certainly. My bad for not separating my comments into two sentences, to make it more clear. And yes, I'm sure it was mostly from open cabin doors, and from open luggage bays too.

Come on LikaNui I thought you were smarter than that
                            Does that winking smilie mean you didn't think I was smarter than that? (sob) (sniffle)

Comment

This photo was taken last night just inland from Laguna Beach, looking northeast to Irvine. Eldest spawn lives mid photo far left. She was driving home at about the same time a friend of hers took this photo. We were on the phone at the time when she turned a corner and saw the flames. The smoke, ash and soot are blowing directly over her area.

Needless to say, the air quality is horrible and ash and soot have permeated the entire interior of her home. That's certainly a small price to pay compared to what others are experiencing.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                                This photo was taken last night just inland from Laguna Beach, looking northeast to Irvine.
                                Thanks for posting that, Tutu. Excellent photo of a scary scene.
                                One quick question, if I may. There's a light on the top of a mountain near the right-hand side of the photo. If memory serves (which it rarely occasionally does), that's Mt. Wilson, yeah? Usually only visible from Laguna when Santa Ana winds blow.
                                Continued best wishes for your spawn.

Comment

Working...
                                X