California wildfires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California wildfires

Eldest spawn, a Lakers fan, started receiving text messages and voice mails while attending tonight's game. It seems the Irvine wildfire had approached her home and her complex, at that point, was under a voluntary evacuation. She left the game in L.A. and called me while driving home to pack important stuff and get the heck outta Dodge! Don't know if she's reached home yet or if it's now a mandatory evacuation or, heaven forbid, she won't even be allowed back in.

I can't find any online news coverage about it. I did find someone's Flickr site with photos. Yikes! Still, I'd like to find some place to follow the fire. Any ideas? I googled on Irvine fire.

The good news? E.S. didn't have to see the Clippers win!

Re: California wildfires

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21413323/

Best of luck for your spawn.

Comment

http://news.aol.com/story/_a/deadly-...21110509990001

Keep us posted as well please Tutu.
      ___
      "Be god to each other."

Comment

Oh...thank you very much. Daughter lives in Northwood which is mentioned in the article. What did you search on to find that? I went directly to cnn.com but they covered only the Malibu fire. More interesting, I guess, 'cuz of all the celebrity residents!

Comment

Prayers and Well thoughts tonight for your daughter!

And everyone there!

Auntie Lynn
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
            Oh...thank you very much. Daughter lives in Northwood which is mentioned in the article. What did you search on to find that? I went directly to cnn.com but they covered only the Malibu fire. More interesting, I guess, 'cuz of all the celebrity residents!
            I didn't do a search, but one of my email addresses is through AOL.COM and it's been the lead story for most of today.

Best wishes.
            ___
            "Be god to each other."

Comment

My next door neighbor is a student at Pepperdine in Malibu. According to her MySpace bulletin, she's fine. Classes are cancelled tomorrow and she and a girlfriend are driving as far away as possible. The air's horrible, even for surrounding areas miles away.

No word yet on another friend who lives in Ramona. I heard Ramona's under mandatory evacuation!
              Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
              We're not here to mess around
              Boston, you know we love you madly
              Hear the crowd roar to your sound
              Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
              You know we couldn't live without you
              Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by InfinityProductions View Post
                I didn't do a search, but one of my email addresses is through AOL.COM and it's been the lead story for most of today.

Best wishes.
                Thank you. I think they updated the story by the time I read it 'cuz it, too, focused on Malibu!!! Don't those news folks know that California is bigger than Malibu?

While the previously mentioned msnbc.com link is all about Irvine I'm surprised that the story has been hard to find. Not enuf celebs there, I guess!!!

Comment

While the previously mentioned msnbc.com link is all about Irvine I'm surprised that the story has been hard to find. Not enuf celebs there, I guess!!!
                  You mentioned Irvine in your OP. I just googled Irvine "latest news" in case your wondering how I came up with the link, and once again I hope your spawn is safe and sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
                    [...]No word yet on another friend who lives in Ramona. I heard Ramona's under mandatory evacuation!
                    Wow. Another disaster for HT to ponder over and worry about. There's always someone here who knows someone there...wherever "there" might be. Good luck to your friend Lei.

I just got off the phone with the spawn. She's packing but resisting the effort it'll take to load her car. Her home is full of smoke which is as good a reason as any to get outta there. The evacuation is not mandatory yet but she did say there are only about 1/3 the number of cars normally parked on the street.

Funny story...as she was hurriedly leaving the Lakers game a ball boy stopped her in her tracks and told her one of the players (can't remember his name and it didn't ring a bell with me!) was asking for her phone # and wanted to ask her out for dinner. She told him of her emergency but her friend yelled at her..."Give him your card, dummy."!!!!!! I wonder if it'll be the ball boy who asks her out!

Comment

Originally posted by titilejomi View Post
                      You mentioned Irvine in your OP. I just googled Irvine "latest news" in case your wondering how I came up with the link,
                      I am!!! I was googling on +irvine+fire and even the msnbc link didn't turn up. Well, that may not be entirely true. There were multiple pages of hits and I didn't come close to going thru all of them. My daughter told me to check ocfa.org (Orange County Fire Authority). That lists the details.
                      and once again I hope your spawn is safe and sound.
                      Thank you. So far she's not panicking but I doubt she'll get much sleep tonight. She's already told work she won't be in tomorrow!

Comment

I am!!! I was googling on +irvine+fire !
                        Maybe that was a google overload

Try just "irvine" and the latest news. Using the "+" signs may have limited your search.

Google is your friend, fighting it can be frustrating.

Comment

you could also try the Orange County Register site - they probably have breaking news.

(just checked the site - they have good coverage including photos)

www.ocregister.com
                          Last edited by anapuni808; October 21, 2007, 11:25 PM.
                          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

For fire news from the firefighters' perspective, try the National Interagency Fire Center. I tried getting through to the State of California's own fire news sites, but (big surprise) their servers seem to be very busy.

Comment

I just got a call from my good friend in Rancho Santa Fe. Their family owns Wasa Electric in Hawaii. They were informed of a mandatory evacuation early this morning. They could only take their pets and a few items. Her voice was hoarse due to all the smoke inhailation. She could see the fires closing in and is afraid they may lose their house. Firefighters are in the area trying to keep the flames away from the houses.
                              They evacuated to Torry Pines -- which is still nearby. There are no flights in or out of the area, the freeway is closed going north, and there are more fires south in Mexico - so they are pretty much trapped for now.
                              It's very scary!
                              So long...and thanks for all the fish!

Comment

Working...
                              X