Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When did Fort Street became Fort Street Mall?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When did Fort Street became Fort Street Mall?

Can someone offer a general history.

- When did they closed off Fort Street?

- When did they "created" Fort Street Mall? What was it like when it first happened? Was it just a closed street that people walked on?

- The current mall (with the red brick tiles), when did this "renovation" took place?

Re: When did Fort Street became Fort Street Mall?

Fort street Mall opened to the public back in 1968

It was a street before that

It was named after an attempt by the Russians to create a stronghold above Punchbowl via Kauai's ruling ali'i Kaumuali'i. Kamehameha didn't like that and sent in some of his own and the Russians retreated back to Kauai.

As for the red brick conversion, I do remember when Fort Street Mall was a street but cannot remember if or when it was converted.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I work right on Fort Street Mall and walk that path everyday, and never knew this history.

Learn something new everyday!
      Eating my way through restaurants at http://www.nomnomfoodie.com

Growing a local Hawaii food blogger community at http://www.hawaiifoodbloggers.com

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
        Fort street Mall opened to the public back in 1968

It was a street before that

It was named after an attempt by the Russians to create a stronghold above Punchbowl via Kauai's ruling ali'i Kaumuali'i. Kamehameha didn't like that and sent in some of his own and the Russians retreated back to Kauai.

As for the red brick conversion, I do remember when Fort Street Mall was a street but cannot remember if or when it was converted.
        The version I heard about the name "Fort Street" was that it was named for the Fort of Honolulu which was at the foot of the street. You can still see the cannons out in front of the AmFac Building.

I remember when it was still a street and recall the same time of conversion as CW - around 1968. It was very strange when it first happened.
        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Sort of releated...wasn't there also a Union Street that became a mall? And Kress was on Union Street where that big brown ugly building is now located? And you used to be able to walk thru Kress from Union Street to Fort Street?

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
            Sort of releated...wasn't there also a Union Street that became a mall? And Kress was on Union Street where that big brown ugly building is now located? And you used to be able to walk thru Kress from Union Street to Fort Street?
            Union Mall is located on the back of FHB Building. Many years ago you could go through Ritz Store from Union Mall to Fort Street Mall. Kress Store too.

Auntie Lynn
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
              And there was a time when you could cross over from Bishop street near the corner of Bishop and Hotel into the courtyard of the Alexander Young Hotel thru a passageway right at that corner.

But yeah walking in the middle of Fort Street for the first time was like walking down the center lanes of Kalakaua during the Hoolauleas. Just didn't seem right.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
              X