Local Entertainers from "back then"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Local Entertainers from "back then"

Going through some old albums and tapes, I began to wonder about some of the great entertainers of the past. Remember Melvine Leed, Bobby Nelson, Sterling Mossman, the Kinimaka boys, Charlie Madieras and the "beach boys" at the Queen's Surf?

Re: Local Entertainers from "back then"

Ahhhhh....Bob Nelson. My favorite piano man. It would usually be at the Yacht Harbor Restaurant. You've hit a sweet memory in my heart and mind. I remember sitting around the piano with my late husband and good friend Wesley Masaki who are both departed. Wes would sing Maui Waltz. Boy would listen to me sing oldies and smile. The holidays were wonderful with Bob and the gang.

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

At the Monarch room there was this woman who could sing really nice, I can't remember who she was but boy oh boy she was smooth next to the piano. Baker Brothers eat your heart out.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Melveen's still around.

Comment

There was someone else other than Melveen Leed that sang there. Not too well known unless you were a regular.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
            There was someone else other than Melveen Leed that sang there. Not too well known unless you were a regular.
            I'm from the Del Courtney and the Tea Dance days! Shoots...that was so much fun!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
              I'm from the Del Courtney and the Tea Dance days! Shoots...that was so much fun!
              Me too. Those sunday morning tea dances was the perfect way to start a sunday. My table was the front left table I always sat at with Bill Morse and his wife, and my friend from Canada, Johnny Bohonos who did the Canadian Connection on KGU for decades.

We need tea dances, it helps slow down our hectic lives.

Comment

Before the Yacht Harbor, Bobby and friends gathered at the Chart House, makai side of the Ilikai. Great group, great nights!

Comment

Tutu...I had the most horrible crush on Melveen My wife and I were on that last Island Cruise of the Lurline, and Melveen was one of the entertainment staff. My wife fell for the bass player.
                  (fickle weren't we)

Comment

Craig, the tea-dances they had at the Waikiki Sheraton were great, great fun, too.

Comment

Originally posted by pickd View Post
                      Craig, the tea-dances they had at the Waikiki Sheraton were great, great fun, too.
                      Yes they were. Tea dances gave true meaning to hob knobbing in town. Unfortunately I never went to the Sheraton Waikiki for Tea dances, only at the Monarch room in the Royal Hawaiian.

Comment

My three grey cells just came up with some more. Nina singing at the Kamaina lunches on Thursday. First at the place with the great pie, then later on Waikiki...maybe Prince Kuhio?
                        Aku's wife, Emma Veary.
                        Gabby at the Rabbit Island Music Festival.
                        The new, young local acts introduced at the Territorial Tavern out there near the Tower.

Comment

"kamaaina" I meant.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                            Me too. Those sunday morning tea dances was the perfect way to start a sunday. [...]
                            We need tea dances, it helps slow down our hectic lives.
                            Sunday morning? That musta been before my time! I remember the 5p-8p tea dances and those gorgeous sunsets between dances. Jimmy Borges. Herb Jeffries (Flaaaaa-miiiiing-oooo!). Connie Haines. yada. yada. yada. Danced 'til I dropped.

Comment

Working...
                            X