Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody watching the UFO on the North shore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody watching the UFO on the North shore?

Twice tonite I've seen a ball of fire like 'something' appear off shore, seemingly not too far away. I've only gotten about a 3 second look each time I looked away from the computer before it fades out.
    Very curious.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Re: Anybody watching the UFO on the North shore?

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
    Twice tonite I've seen a ball of fire like 'something' appear off shore, seemingly not too far away. I've only gotten about a 3 second look each time I looked away from the computer before it fades out.
    Very curious.
    I stopped drinking two months ago.

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Okay--you got me out of my chair and onto the "virtual lanai." From Waialua all I see is one of the dippers and a pretty starry sky. DH is watching for "it" and now has retreated to the couch with the guitar.
      We no see nothing. Will keep an eye out.

Comment

I told my Honey there's a UFO on the North Shore.

He yelled at me to Take your damn PILLS!!

I am a Lumerian Decendent.
        Last edited by 1stwahine; March 25, 2008, 08:54 PM.
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

No drinkee tonite.

99, it hasn't been seen for about a half hour since the last sighting.
          Where you? I'm in cement city tonite, 5th fl. full ocean/sky view.

Comment

Hey Ron--DH says there are active military exercises to the north of us all night until about 0200. My location is Cement City oceanfront 2nd floor. Maybe meet you at the picnic!

Comment

That sounds logical. Thanx for the good info.
              You must be in the monster apts. that block my entire view towards Kuilima.
              I'm at Mokuleia Sands.
              Now, clue me in on the picnic!

Comment

See HT Annual Picnic thread.....Looking forward to it.

Comment

Ugh, military exercises. There were bombers flying over all day here in Kaneohe. Seems like they're trying to make up for the peace and quiet we had on Easter Sunday.
                  ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Hey Agent 99, I meant to ask, what kind of guitar you got/play?

I always have my stuff at hand, especially my lap steel.

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                      Ugh, military exercises. There were bombers flying over all day here in Kaneohe. Seems like they're trying to make up for the peace and quiet we had on Easter Sunday.
                      I might be weird (restrain from voting please) but I find the military presence in these islands somewhat comforting. Planted out here as we are, sitting ducks for various and sundry hostile forces, it might be considered a good thing that we have some firepower readily available. If we didn't do ya think we might be considered a rather tasty target, with all that entails?
                      Peace out.

Comment

Now, when I was a kid, growing up at Mokuleia Stables (just on the left, right before the first entrance to Dillingham Airfield)(I'd LOVE a picture of what might still be left there, like the coconut tree by the house), we were always having that kind of stuff....1968, Vietnam war.

We had an outdoor shower behind the house and my Mom put a roof on it because of the cropspraying biplanes and the gliders that would fly so low over us...the screaming military jets with their sonic booms probably never got a glimpse of what was under the showerhead. That was back when the gliders got pulled up by cars and a rope, and sometimes the rope fell onto our pastures and Mom would be worried aboutthe horses getting hurt.

Once, a helicopter landed in the pasture and Mom went storming out there like Granny Clampet with a gun. Turned out they were lost, and simply trying to find the Polo Field that was down the road.

At night, we'd sometimes have this strange glowing stuff in the sky...looked like a big glop of that green goopy stuff that kids play with...only it was up in the sky like a big green fluo cloud, lighting up the sky. THAT looked like something out of a science fiction tale, I can tell you.

Sometimes Schofield would shoot up some kind of flares from their side that would be slow to fall..sparkling stars to light up the night until they fell out of view behind the mountains.

And often the night-time choppers would come, going back and forth behind the canefields, over by the big reservoir that belonged to WACO and the lands that belonged to Dillingham Ranch...I guess they were plaing hide-and-seek, because they had huge floodlights that would play out over on the ground as if the were looking for something or someone. I always thought it was kind of silly to advertise themselves and their position in the sky with those floodlights. Any way, they certainly scared the Dillingham cattle.

The entire mountainside in Mokuleia has a long military history. As kids, we'd hike out to behind the older runway (a cracked and overgrown cement runway that runs diagonal to the newer one, home for Dillingham cattle and big tubs of molasses for the cattle to lick..had to squeeze through plenty of barbed wire fences and go under big rollers of fly repellant. The cattle never bugged us, they just watched us with mild curiosity). Behind the runway is a very old group of bunkers, complete (well, this was 40 years ago) with desks, C-rations (edible...we tried), old papers and documents, and miles of communiction wire.

Behind the bunkers there is a rockfall, and at the top is a group of little babana trees with the sweetest of fruit. To the right of the rockfall is a zig-zag path that leads all the way to the top, which, I believe, is called 'Peacock Flats'...probably because there really ARE peacocks up there, that scream in the evenings and can be heard very well on overcast, low-clouded dusks, when the sound echoes loudly.

Lots of sour orange trees and mulberries, guava and limes, macadamia nuts and a papaya or two, and I remember one big starfruit tree. If you go up to the WACO reservoir (as the crow flies, just mauka of the old stables, behind the canefields at the foot of the hills), there are tilapia and crayfish to be caught (an old coffeecan served as our boiling pot)...and just maybe there is still the treehouse in the big tree at the right of the water, where the mainland hippie came to try and live, before Nito Lavarius of WACO came and kicked him out.

I never remember anything out on the ocean. Just the small temple with offerings of fruit in the empty lot across from the stables....I never knew why it was there, with it's beautiful cloth fabric 'aprons' covering the stone..maybe fisherman's luck (I imagined a tragic tale of drowned fishermen)? And Sammy Amalu and his wild parties and how he wrote an article in the paper about one of my calves coming over to visit him.

There was the reef that curved out from the Church Camp, and at low tide, went almost all the way to the Mokuleia Beach Colony...back then, the Beach Colony was home to Vietnam wives, whose husbands were off fighting the war while they turned into hippies and had affairs. Us kids just thougt it was neat because they had a pool AND a coke machine.

The water inside the reef was kind of dead, with only a few seashells to be found and sometimes, lacy coral. Outside the reef, however, was another matter...a friend of my Mom's used to regularly come all the way from town (a big trip, back in those days, up the windy road and through Kipapa Gulch, past the sugar refinery in Aiea, and down the narrow lane below Tripler), just to dive for the most beautiful and big live shells. She's also bring along a jar of her 'home-made secret salad dressing'...whih I discovered years later to be Hidden Valley.

Along the beach, we'd find glass floatballs from fishing vessels, catseye button-shaped shells, and, at night, flourescent grains of sand. Sometimes, during the winter, the waves would get so big that they'd crash over the houses and onto the road, and leave sand on the road for us to gawp at. After a time, the beach was nearly gone and some of the houses built retaining walls...I wonder what it's like nowadays?

We all went barefoot all over the place, including bareback on our horses and ponies, of course...but watch out for the scorpions and the centipedes.
                        http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                        http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
                          I might be weird (restrain from voting please) but I find the military presence in these islands somewhat comforting. Planted out here as we are, sitting ducks for various and sundry hostile forces, it might be considered a good thing that we have some firepower readily available. If we didn't do ya think we might be considered a rather tasty target, with all that entails?
                          Peace out.
                          Especially what with Kim Jong Il's penchant for firing off rockets on the Fourth of July.

Comment

Wow, Susie, great read. I love knowing about this area. Tell me, did the Waialua region during your day's ALWAYS have THE best weather on Oahu? It takes the crown these day's for sure.

Those talapia, were they the gold kind? I'd like to find the spots you mentioned. How big were the crawdads?
                            I used to have a special spot way in Waikane Valley under a big rock overhang where the stream was dammed up a bit and kept a supply of gold talapia for the picking. The fresh water prawns we'd nab in the Ka'a'awa Valley mangroves had (skinny) arms 3 feet long and bodies like nice lobster. Another reason we called the valley Jurassic Park. They had lived there forever, had no predators and no one ever bugged them, so you could just pick them up. Big suckers.
                            My friend once got a 25 lb. crab from outta under the bridge by Trout Farm Rd. Get some monsters hiding still, all over.

Comment

I don't remember what kind of tilapia was there...I just recall the year of the big drought and there was a strike and there was not too much water left in the reservoir so all the fish were crowded in puddles....and what water there was was wasted by us kids...we'd tie a rope around our waists and go 'flooming', sitting in the cement water canals and letting the barriers go and having the water wash us at speed down the floom, with someone else holding the rope to pull us to a stop and get out and have another go...until the man in the WACO truck would come and yell at us and we'd run away.

The crawdads were the little fat kind, pinch like hell, so you'd have to grab them from behind or catch them with some meat tied onto a string.

Lots of wild pig, too. One time, my Mom came home with a big dent in the 1959 Vauxhall (the one with the big flower-power stickers on it), and said she'd stopped by the road to watch a wild pig and it had rammed into her car. I've never really believed that story all these past forty years, but she's still insisting it's true. One time we followed hunters and they got angry at us cause we scared off a perfectly good mama pig and babies.

There were lots of big Buffa toads and African snails. The snails in Franch are pretty good, cooked with garlic and parsley and butter, but I hear the African ones can give you spinal infections.

Comment

Working...
                              X