• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LikaNui
    replied
    Re: Things we can't get here

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
    LIka, I heard the thunder in Waialua last night; faint, and didn't hear it again, so I thought it was the condo upstairs. Hope you all didn't get flooded out! I read about the post office in Kaneohe.
    My earlier post was for thunder/lightning at around 9pm out toward Kahaluu. But then... I woke up around 1am and it was POURING here in Kaneohe, and the thunder and lightning was here. Steady non-stop heavy rain for at least three hours. Wow!
    Minor flooding damage is visible on all the streets, and supposedly the post office was going to re-open late this afternoon. I drove by it a few minutes ago and saw folks walking in and out the doors, so I think it is indeed open again.

Leave a comment:

• cyleet99
    replied

LIka, I heard the thunder in Waialua last night; faint, and didn't hear it again, so I thought it was the condo upstairs.

Hope you all didn't get flooded out! I read about the post office in Kaneohe.

Leave a comment:

• LikaNui
    replied

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
    Thunderstorms? Do you ever have thunderstorms there? I only remember one the whole time we lived there and it was the night of the Oahu-Wide Blackout. Heard thunder, saw a flash of lightning. Said to J, "That's the first time I've seen that since we moved here!" Then -boom- electricity is gone. So I'm assuming they aren't very common occurrences, even though we ALL know rain is.
    There's been thunder and lightning for the past hour just north of me here in Kaneohe. Looks like it's mostly over the Temple Valley, Kahaluu, Waiahole and Waikane areas.

Leave a comment:

• surlygirly
    replied

We had a brisk morning today. There was dew everywhere and I made a big mistake going outside in my tank top/PJ shorts combo. Brr. It's was about 50...but I missed most of last winter so I guess I'm a wimp now about cold weather.

Leave a comment:

• cyleet99
    replied

Yeah, I remember there being quite a bit of lightning and thunder over December and January of this year, with the stormy weather.

I sorta miss crisp frosty mornings, so I stick my head in the freezer occasionally.

Leave a comment:

• Barry
    replied

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
    Thunderstorms? Do you ever have thunderstorms there? I only remember one the whole time we lived there and it was the night of the Oahu-Wide Blackout. Heard thunder, saw a flash of lightning. Said to J, "That's the first time I've seen that since we moved here!" Then -boom- electricity is gone.

So I'm assuming they aren't very common occurrences, even though we ALL know rain is.

About 4 years ago I was walking from the International Market to McCulley. I took the route along the Ala Wai canal and the rain was coming down in torrents. There was a flash of ligtening and a loud clap of thunder, no more but the rain didn't stop.
    I heard that a lot of the pesticides from the golf course were washed into the canal. That, along with a burst sewer which was pumped in, made sure that there wasn't a fish alive.

Leave a comment:

• surlygirly
    replied

Thunderstorms? Do you ever have thunderstorms there? I only remember one the whole time we lived there and it was the night of the Oahu-Wide Blackout. Heard thunder, saw a flash of lightning. Said to J, "That's the first time I've seen that since we moved here!" Then -boom- electricity is gone.

So I'm assuming they aren't very common occurrences, even though we ALL know rain is.

Leave a comment:

• Sharilyn
    replied

Originally posted by Vanilla View Post
    Kinda on topic, kinda off topic. But I buy spice from the spice house online (spicehouse.com) - the shipping to HI is very reasonable and fast and you can buy just small amounts and share them with neighbors and friends.
    Thanks for the info! I can never find saffron here on Maui, and I've been trying to find a good online source.

Leave a comment:

• Kaukura
    replied

Originally posted by Albert View Post
    "that was LaChoy! I think they still sell it, too."

Never saw it in a store here.
    just saw it last week here. crunchy noodles as well. same blue can.

Leave a comment:

• Vanilla
    replied

Kinda on topic, kinda off topic. But I buy spice from the spice house online (spicehouse.com) - the shipping to HI is very reasonable and fast and you can buy just small amounts and share them with neighbors and friends.

I make fruit cakes from scratch every year, but I could never afford to if I bought spice from Star market or something - ouch.

Leave a comment:

• leashlaws
    replied

I thought I did with they jingle!

Leave a comment:

• cyleet99
    replied

thanks ever so much, leash!

"La Choy makes Chinese food...Swing, American!...La Choy makes Chinese food...Swing, American!...La Choy makes Chinese food...Swing, American!..."

somebody help me

Oh, yeah, things we can't get here...ummm Bath and Body Works! gotta get some when I go back to the mainland, I guess.
    Last edited by cyleet99; September 2, 2009, 10:47 AM. Reason: gettin' back to the subject at hand

Leave a comment:

• leashlaws
    replied

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
    Hey, Albert; that was LaChoy! I think they still sell it, too.

Course, we got the real thing here, so no need.

You can get large bags of chow mein noodles at the local grocery stores, I think.
    They had that song "La Choy makes Chinese food Swing American"
    This thread has me hearing that now!

Leave a comment:

• Albert
    replied

"that was LaChoy! I think they still sell it, too."

Never saw it in a store here.

Of course, "cotton candy" is pretty rare here, too. (Speaking of kid-time favorites.)

Leave a comment:

• cyleet99
    replied

Hey, Albert; that was LaChoy! I think they still sell it, too.

Course, we got the real thing here, so no need.

You can get large bags of chow mein noodles at the local grocery stores, I think.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X