Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does being a tobacco smoker lessen the dating pool?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Does being a tobacco smoker lessen the dating pool?

I smoked for years, but I quit not too long ago. My husband still smokes. I don't care for it, but what are you gonna do? I really wish he'd quit, but I totally understand that nagging a smoker is tantamount to poking snake with a stick. However- the whole time I smoked, I NEVER smoked in my house, and limited the number of cigarettes I smoked it the car, just like Jason does now. That really cuts down on the smelly factor. Yeah, it is like kissing an ashtray, but he knows I won't kiss him after he smokes, so it's his choice. I try very hard not to be a snotty ex-smoker. Sometimes if I'm in a bar or other place where it gets to be too much, I have to step out for a while, but otherwise I'm usually okay. And every so often, if I've been drinking, I may have just one.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
      I smoked for years, but I quit not too long ago. My husband still smokes. I don't care for it, but what are you gonna do? I really wish he'd quit, but I totally understand that nagging a smoker is tantamount to poking snake with a stick. However- the whole time I smoked, I NEVER smoked in my house, and limited the number of cigarettes I smoked it the car, just like Jason does now. That really cuts down on the smelly factor. Yeah, it is like kissing an ashtray, but he knows I won't kiss him after he smokes, so it's his choice. I try very hard not to be a snotty ex-smoker. Sometimes if I'm in a bar or other place where it gets to be too much, I have to step out for a while, but otherwise I'm usually okay. And every so often, if I've been drinking, I may have just one.
      You're not snotty. You have every right to be selfish when it comes to your relationship.
      Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

neither eric or i smoke cigarettes, 99% of the time, mostly bcs we've had beloved folks in our lives die from lung or other cancer. we'll readily admit we've had our moments, during exceedingly stressful and angry moments of who-gives-an-ufk-edness where we've bummed a cig or two off a friend outside a bar. we do enjoy a cigar now and again. one of the things i am most glad i brought home from my summer trip to the philippines was a box of don j. urquido robustos.

eric and i both have dated smokers - the cigarette kind - but none of those forays lasted very long. in the end, for us, a smoker turns on all kinds of genetic warning bells for us, and--practically speaking--if we wouldn't deign to spawn with someone, why get involved seriously?
        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Disgusting advice but it might help quit ? Dunno ?

I collected all my ash trays and put them into a coffee jar. When I felt like a ciggy, I used to take the lid off and sniff it,,,, "Saying,, That is Me."

All my £'s that I had spent on ciggies, I put into a jar every day and then at the end of the month,,,,, I got the 'A' cleaning team into my house.

Expensive, but worth it. I never realised that the ciggy smoke was embedded into the wall paper. ?? I had all my clothes professionally washed and ironed.

Last week, I had to go to my doctor for a Flu injection. On her monitor its says that I have been a non-smoker for 18 months !

I don't think of it like that,,,,, when I get up in the morning, I just think,,,, hmmmmmmm I don't think I will smoke today.
          Sort of a day at atime.

Barry
          Last edited by Barry; December 2, 2008, 02:31 AM.

Comment

Before my girlfriend and I got together she was going out with this guy who had a BMW. As they were driving along she wanted to smoke and this dude said she couldn't smoke in the car and she'd have to wait. She told him to pull over, got out of the car and started walking. She never went out with him again.

No matter, now she goes out with a man who understands her lifestyle. Even with the windows up because it is raining, it's all good.

Comment

This was my first poll that I started, it has been an interesting process. Next time I do a poll, I might use the option to see who is voting (I think that was an option...). This poll will close in a couple of days, and the figures I did in an earlier post are still almost the same now. The results seem to indicate that smokers eliminate about 1/2 of the dating pool due to their smoking.
              Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by AlohaKine View Post
                No matter, now she goes out with a man who understands her lifestyle. Even with the windows up because it is raining, it's all good.
                Yeah, we know who wears the pants in your relationship.

But if that's alright with you, then more power to you ... or maybe her.
                Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
                  Next time I do a poll, I might use the option to see who is voting (I think that was an option...).
                  If you do, I'm not likely to vote - I like the anonymity. Maybe you should take a poll on how people prefer the voting to be structured...?

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                    If you do, I'm not likely to vote - I like the anonymity. Maybe you should take a poll on how people prefer the voting to be structured...?
                    You know that's a good idea ... a poll to see if someone will vote on a poll where they need to identify themselves. Although, most responders won't "really" be identifying themselves, because being on HT itself is anonymous for most.

One thing that I was pondering is about HTers who "visit" the threads but do not usually comment, I wonder if they do participate by voting in polls? For example, in the "Smoking Dating Poll", were the respondents the usual HT posters, or were there "non-posting" HTers in the mix?

NOT that it matters, just for interest's sake.
                    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
                      Only about 1/4 the population smokes cigarettes. Does being a smoker mean you lessen your potential "dating pool" by eliminating the other 3/4 of the population (non-smokers)? Do non-smokers prefer to only date other non-smokers, not smokers?

Poll:
                      If you are a non-smoker, will you date a smoker? [If married, did this come into play when dating?]

This is my first attempt at doing a HT poll, the topic came about in another thread and I thought I'd give a poll a try.
                      Can't really answer the original question. Sorry.

Something that happened tonight was an interesting study in human behavior when subjected to advertising.

My soon to be 15 year old god-daughter was over purchasing I-Tunes,
                      when she noticed my pack of Camels. Never before had she picked up my smokes, but the artwork got her!
                      See they are targeting the young ones.
                      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

I might take a smoker for a test run, but I'd never sign the contract.
                        http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                        http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
                          I might take a smoker for a test run, but I'd never sign the contract.
                          I think that's the kind of relationships most guys are looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                            My soon to be 15 year old god-daughter was over purchasing I-Tunes,
                            when she noticed my pack of Camels. Never before had she picked up my smokes, but the artwork got her!
                            See they are targeting the young ones.

Wow...that's very Ed Hardy. Considering the popularity and trendiness of Ed Hardy for the past several years, that artwork would DEFINITELY get the attention of anybody in the teen demographic. Very sneaky of them.

Comment

It is nice art, I like it also and I'm no teenager. If something looks good it transends age. I miss Joe Camel myself. I knew people that where 50 that wore the Joe Camel T-shirt.

Comment

My dad was a lifelong Camel smoker even tho' he directed the Marlboro man commercials! What's not funny is Pop died of emphysema and COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder). He quit smoking, cold turkey, 11 years before he passed. Most of those years were spent tethered to an oxygen tank. I'd give anything to have him back.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I'm allergic to ciggie smoke; a result of over exposure over so many years. I was married to a smoker. Under no circumstances will I date a smoker. I have no objection to someone smoking. Just don't do it in my air space!

Comment

Working...
                                X