Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ainokea

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    Good morning, my dear! Much aloha to you and PK.
    Yeah - and I've always wondered why people so often connect Jimmy Buffett & his fine music to the Hawaiian Islands, when it's more of a Florida Keys vibe. (Used to have this argument with music-program clients all the time, when they would mention his name when they wanted a Hawaiian element in their programs...) Maybe aikea too much?
    Doesn't he favor aloha shirts? Maybe that's where the confusion started.
    “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
    http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

I've always wondered why people so often connect Jimmy Buffett & his fine music to the Hawaiian Islands, when it's more of a Florida Keys vibe. (Used to have this argument with music-program clients all the time, when they would mention his name when they wanted a Hawaiian element in their programs...)
      More Florida Keys and Caribbean than Hawaiian, especially the songs that have steel drums. But the answer is probably because of his endless supply of Aloha shirts and the whole tiki thing, which is more Polynesian tropical than Caribbean. Bottom line is that Buffett's "vibe" is simply... tropical.
      Aikea, because I got my doctorate degree in Parottheadeology.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I always thought it was created as a tongue-in-cheek counter to 'Kau Inoa'.
        May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
          Sort of like the sailboat that was named, Kamana'aiwanaleia.

Let's see something comparable to Ainokea in the Caribbean is, "Don't worry, Be happy."
          And as we compare it, there is no comparison. I don’t see how “happy” fits into the ‘Ainokea’ mantra, or even that it is implied.

If I were to try to give as close a translation of Ainokea as possible, it would be I don’t really give a flying f*#k. IMHO.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
          USA TODAY, page 2A
          11 March 1993

Comment

So, are you upset by the neologisms themselves, or by the attitudes they express?
            Hmmm. I would think I made that abundantly clear.

I might ask you if you are retaining resentment from an earlier post and expressing it here. Just a question - I'm not making assumptions.

Although I think the phrase "Ainokea" is patently anti-aloha, that's nothing new in Hawaii. I really don't care what people choose to say, or how they express themselves (as long as others are not hurt in the process) - we have more 'neologisms' (neat word!) today than ever, thanks to the internet and phone texting. Like I said, I thought it clever!

People are going to say - and do - whatever they choose; nothing will stop that. And people are going to have opinions about what others do. I find it sad that people would have a lack of caring about anyone other than themselves. Perhaps there's a better word for it.

Upset? No. Disappointed? Not really.... cause it is to be expected. It's more like the kind of feeling I get when we lose another mind to crack or meth. Sad.
            Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
            ~ ~
            Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
            Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
            Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

It isn't about aloha or lack thereof. It is about hoʻokuʻu and hoʻomanawanui. In other words, let it go and be tolerant.

pax

Comment

It's just about marketing to local kids. That's all. Remember "Bad Boy?" How about "No Fear?" This kind of stuff comes and goes, just as it will with "Ainokea."
                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
                  It isn't about aloha or lack thereof. It is about hoʻokuʻu and hoʻomanawanui. In other words, let it go and be tolerant.
                  Of course. Mahalo. I was thinking about just that thing while driving home tonight.
                  We are a cultureal conglomeration, and it is important - no, imperative, for us to be tolerant of differences among us.
                  When I started thinking about "Ainokea" in this light, it became: "I don't care if you don't understand or approve of me, my choices or why I do what I do - this is the way we do things."
                  And I saw that this was a completely valid usage of the term in this multi-cultural environment, and totally appropriate.
                  Mahalo for your mana'o!
                  K
                  ~ ~

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                    Hmmm. I would think I made that abundantly clear.

I might ask you if you are retaining resentment from an earlier post and expressing it here. Just a question - I'm not making assumptions.
                    Well, I thought it was about the attitude, until you highlighted your line about "no such words in Hawaiian" - which is why I wondered if you were linguistically peeved instead.

Nothing in my question was related to any other post in this or any other thread. I like to think I'm more clearly focused than that.

Looks like P.M. has ridden to our rescue once again.
                    Last edited by Leo Lakio; February 4, 2009, 07:21 PM. Reason: Where did that apostrophe come from?

Comment

Re: Ainokea? (A`ole, Aikea Loa!)

Well, I thought it was about the attitude, until you highlighted your line about "no such words in Hawaiian" - which is why I wondered if you were linguistically peeved instead.

Nothing in my question was related to any other post in this or any other thread. I like to think I'm more clearly focused than that.

Look's like P.M. has ridden to our rescue once again.
                      Nah, nah, nah. It's only that so many create pseudo-Hawaiian words or imagine faulty meanings thereof that I wanted to make it clear. Hence the emphasis.

I believed you were clearly focused, respected your criticism in another thread, and even expressed my respect in a private message re: your comments, and extended my offer of friendship. When there was no response to my offer I wondered if was because of some resentment or prejudice. Hence my question. Maybe you just need time to get to know me better? Take your time, I guess. Your choice; I made mine.

PM is where I'd hope to be, someday. I mean, WOW! I am humbled, impressed by the perspective. I recognize I have much to learn to get to where I want to be.
                      ~ ~

Comment

Da bugga sta mad(habut).
                        Last edited by Walkoff Balk; February 4, 2009, 08:21 PM. Reason: add

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                          even expressed my respect in a private message re: your comments, and extended my offer of friendship. When there was no response to my offer I wondered if was because of some resentment or prejudice. Hence my question. Maybe you just need time to get to know me better? Take your time, I guess. Your choice; I made mine.
                          Ah - there's the source of the confusion. I did reply, in a positive manner, to your private message, shortly after you sent it. For whatever reason, you must not have seen the reply. Neither of us seems to be mad at the other! (Though I did "decline" all the friend-requests that were here on HT, because I never got any satisfactory answer to my thread asking about said requests and what, if anything, happens if you "accept" them. I got tired of having them pop up every time, so I erased them all - sorry if that implied any dislike of you on my part.)

Comment

Ah - there's the source of the confusion. I did reply, in a positive manner, to your private message, shortly after you sent it. For whatever reason, you must not have seen the reply. Neither of us seems to be mad at the other! (Though I did "decline" all the friend-requests that were here on HT, because I never got any satisfactory answer to my thread asking about said requests and what, if anything, happens if you "accept" them. I got tired of having them pop up every time, so I erased them all - sorry if that implied any dislike of you on my part.)
                            Communication works wonders- most times. I may have forgotten your positive reply, as I do forget things at times...
                            I respect your right re: "friend" designations; I think mostly it's like a quick-connect shortcut. For forgetful people (like me), a reminder of connections made. Don't worry, I'll remember now.
                            Mahalo.
                            ~ ~

Comment

Working...
                            X