No announcement yet.

Chinatown drug shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What good is cake if you can't eat it?

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    1) IOW, you desire a police force that engages in selective enforcement of the law?
    2) In post #11 of this thread, you complained about officers huddled on a corner, talking with each other and not doing their jobs. And now, in a story about officers doing their jobs, you criticize them yet again.
    You're one tough customer, Ron.
    1) As tho they don't already? Many of them totally abuse the rule of non-selective enforcement on a regular basis. You see it all the time.
    2) There's a sensible tightrope to walk when out in big mumbers and focusing on major crime like the Chinatownthings. They can do their jobs and not step on toes that are merely breaking little white laws. That may not be 100% prudent, but that's how the majority of us overall fine citenzens feel.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Re: Chinatown drug shooting

Originally posted by D'Alani View Post
      I later noticed that for the vehicle information he wrote in "Parked vehicle" as if no one was in the car.
      One quick note of this, for the benefit of everyone here who may be wondering.

The Hawaii Revised Statues gives this definition of a parked vehicle.

http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/hrscur...0291C-0001.htm

"Park" or "parking" means the standing of a vehicle, whether occupied or not, otherwise than temporarily for the purpose of and while actually engaged in loading or unloading merchandise or passengers.

So your car can be considered as being parked, even if you are sitting inside. If an officer witnesses you seated inside your car and not actually engaged in loading/unloading anyone or anything, you can be cited for being illegally parked. Merely telling the judge that you were inside the car does not invalidate a parking citation.
      Last edited by Frankie's Market; May 12, 2009, 11:14 AM.
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Both fines are $35.00 each.
        Tu'u mama'o happens to all of us. Yeah, it's a bummer, but life is too short to worry about $70 in fines. You do the right and honorable thing by admiting you were wrong. Now suck it up, pay the fines, sin no more, and get on with all the good and happy things in your life. Next year you can contribute that $70 to Auntie's Slippah Project.

Blessed Be.
        Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Last week in Chinatown, I also got tagged on River Street by a Rookie.

1stwahine.
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

And another thing...

Isn't it 'odd' that as soon as it get's dark, the Chinatown police presence virtually disappears?

Is it because the tourist poplation dwindles to nearly 0, and all that's left to protect are locals and busnesses?
            Is it because the opportunities to ticket en-mass drops off drastically?

Isn't it the night time that the worst bad guy's really come out, most serious crimes occur, and exactly when we need the patrols?

Just curious...

Comment

Where's Chang Apana when you need him?

Comment

Re: And another thing...

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                Isn't it 'odd' that as soon as it get's dark, the Chinatown police presence virtually disappears?
                Comes in with a heavy bat.

*sighs*

Juss because you can't SEE HPD around MR. whitfield, doesn't mean they are not around.

Whack Whacks!!

Comment

Interesting...

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                  Juss because you can't SEE HPD around MR. whitfield, doesn't mean they are not around.
                  ...then why do we see them so much during the day?

Comment

Re: Interesting...

It's been explained ova and ova and ova......time and again.

You are the one who is making this so complicating. If you want your questions answered, call HPD directly!

1stwahine

Comment

It's not really necessary to go undercover to write out parking tickets. But I'm guessing maybe their vice squad does a little more than that at night, if that's what Auntie was referring to?

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
                        It's not really necessary to go undercover to write out parking tickets. But I'm guessing maybe their vice squad does a little more than that at night, if that's what Auntie was referring to?
                        Exactly.

Mahalo surlygirly.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

I later noticed that for the vehicle information he wrote in "Parked vehicle" as if no one was in the car.
                          Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                          In most places there is a distinction between "parking" and "standing." I don't know about HNL, but....
                          Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                          The Hawaii Revised Statues gives this definition of a parked vehicle.

http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/hrscur...0291C-0001.htm

"Park" or "parking" means the standing of a vehicle, whether occupied or not, otherwise than temporarily for the purpose of and while actually engaged in loading or unloading merchandise or passengers.

So your car can be considered as being parked, even if you are sitting inside.
                          Thanks, Frankie. I hope people take this as more than just useful information for future potential parking citations. People really need to educate themselves on the law. C’mon people. We live in a nation of laws, and it’s all available on the internet from the comfort of the chair you are currently sitting on. Try read up on it some time. You just might learn something.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                          USA TODAY, page 2A
                          11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
                            Exactly.
                            Which would be saying they are out in force during the daytime mainly to be seen and write tickets because the major crimesters are being surveyed by those we can't see. If their undercovers are so vigilant and effective, then the daily mass patrols are serving little added purpose.
                            And, if they are so vigilant and effective at night, then why did we have years of increasing problems that lead to blatant sidewalk murders and grave assaults, not to mention all the lesser crimes of dealing on and inside private property, on their watch, right under their noses?

I'm sorry, but I see too much in the area on a constant basis, day and night, to think our forces are being utilized in the best manners. We don't need 7 officers canvassing Aala Park or whatever district momentarily for minor offenses when they know where the hot spots are and can monitor them without wasting such effort. Especially with the no-see-ums alluded to being so on the job.

We're all happy that crime in this area has greatly lessened lately, but the same results could have been achieved without the unneccessary 300% upsurge in patrols that could be used better elsewhere.
                            And eventually they will be gone, leaving the area as it was before the surge, then what?

Comment

We're all happy that crime in this area has greatly lessened lately, but the same results could have been achieved without the unneccessary 300% upsurge in patrols that could be used better elsewhere.
                              And eventually they will be gone, leaving the area as it was before the surge, then what?
                              Happy? I agree. How could the same results be achieved? What would be your brilliant plan? Have you ever gone and voiced your concerns to the Neighborhood Board? Sent a letter to HPD? To C&C Complaint Office? To Mayor Mufi? Stop complaining and make a difference and DO SOMETHING! Period.

Comment

1) What would be your brilliant plan?
                                2) Have you ever gone and voiced your concerns to the Neighborhood Board? Sent a letter to HPD? To C&C Complaint Office? To Mayor Mufi?
                                1) Post a single officer at strategically needed intersections and have them walking the beat 1/2 a block in every direction from that intersection. That covers a lot of territory more effectively and with less man power, probably a 200% increase at best over what was had prior to the surge.
                                2) No board meetings, and a letter to HPD and Mufi is a joke. Done it with Mufi and the C&C Complaint Dept. on other matters to no avail. But the C&C CDept. is helpful on some things, so kudos to them, but they will have no impact on larger topics let alone the serious stuff.

Do something? I've tried, but the powers that be aren't truly interested. They have their agenda's and it ain't always what the officers at your board meetings say it is.

Complaining? Being pollyannish isn't gonna help, but getting the topics out and generating greater discussion may, even if some don't like the way it happens. Your grumbling at my grumbling doesn't help either, and I'm not about to stop. So turn that frown upside down!

Comment

Working...
                                X