Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you recommend good places to volunteer at?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can you recommend good places to volunteer at?

Originally posted by D'Alani View Post
    I volunteered at Meals on Wheels for a year and it definitely made me appreciate what I have immensely. I stopped after a year because I "lost" a few clients on my route and it took a little out of me.[...]
    Ooooh my, can I ever relate to that. I volunteered on Christmas Day at the Ronald McDonald House in Manoa. The place was abuzz in Santa excitement. The kids who were well enough to get out of bed were running around like nuthin' had ever happened when, in reality, they were incredibly sick. Four year old Fia became my pet, sticking by me the entire day. She was on a chemo break but still had the shunt attached. Whatta little pistol! The parents were looking to move from Samoa to Hawaii to continue Fia's ongoing treatment. My friend and I told them to call us and we'd help find them an apt. We didn't hear from them which wasn't surprising because the RMH was so available to them. That was one of the most wonderful Christmases I've ever experienced.

I volunteered the following year also. I checked in at the office and immediately asked how Fia was doing. The staffer first handed me a box of kleenex then gave me the news. Cancer took her a few months after the previous Christmas. Wow. Did I ever need that kleenex. The icing on that very sad cake was that very Christmas day, to thank the staff and volunteers, Fia's parents attended the celebration at the RMH. I nailed a 2nd box of kleenex.

I've done a variety of volunteer work over the years but I can honestly say my holidays at the RMH are the most memorable and fulfilling. I know I got way more out of the experience than what I gave. A major highlight in my life.

Comment

You can always volunteer at the KauKau wagon, pass out food on Saturdays or help prep.

Contact Kalona here:

KauKauWagon@aol.com

Comment

um..i too am looking for a weekend volunteer program....i think i'll volunteer at IHS

have a pleasant evening HT ohana
        stay forever young

Comment

Originally posted by Seeking Penance View Post
          have a pleasant evening HT ohana
          Hey SP, where you been hiding out? Nice to see your posting.
          Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Any other options? I'm looking into being a volunteer as well, I think it would be an eye-opening experience.

Comment

Working...
            X