Sen. Inouye killed analog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sen. Inouye killed analog

We now know who the main man behind instituting the airwaves completely to digital was, our own Senator Dan, along with his fellow Senate buddy in Alaska, Stevens.
    This was a seriously pitiful and dangerous move, the worse part being that in the process, all analog transmitters and equipment are now being
    destroyed, putting us soley at the mercy of satelites that can and will be come unavailable in some 'enexpected' manner and destroyed by our enemies, leaving us totally up the stinky creek.
    To have made the move to digital option is one thing, to have us completely disposed to this easily fallible/destroyed convenience is mad and we will surely pay dearly for it eventually.
    Dan needs to be called out on this for a full and in depth explanation, not just a surface quip.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Re: Sen. Inouye killed analog

Do you have any links that would support your position ? It would've been helpful if you included them in your diatribe.
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Comment

I can't recall where I noticed the news this weekend, one of the Q&A columns in a local rag, but a search of - inouye stevens digital - brings up info on the history of the bill and such to more than support my diatribe.

Comment

You’re asking Ron Whitfield to research his position, Konaguy? LOL! That’s like asking a drug addict to voluntarily abstain. After 1,442 posts, you should realize the best you’ll get out of him is the signature “oh, I read it somewhere.”

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
        USA TODAY, page 2A
        11 March 1993

Comment

Then do a search and prove me wrong...

Comment

I thought the process was to make a statement and present supporting evidence, not to make a statement and then invite others to disprove it?
            Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

So what... analog is a dying technology for television transmission. at some point you move on. those analog signals are being freed for other uses.

Analog only provided local television anyway. you don't get ESPN via analog. and with local broadcast they can be fed to the head end via fiber, so "knocking out" a satellite is not going to prevent you from getting a form of local tv. We'll have a lot more troubles after a sat goes out than not getting local tv stations.

you're making a mountain out of a molehill
              website - http://www.brianhancock.com
              blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                This was a seriously pitiful and dangerous move, the worse part being that in the process, all analog transmitters and equipment are now being destroyed, putting us soley at the mercy of satelites that can and will be come unavailable in some 'enexpected' manner and destroyed by our enemies, leaving us totally up the stinky creek.
                That's called EMP - electromagnetic pulse. In the stratosphere (I think) detonating a nuke can theoretically put every sattelite in orbit out of commission.
                Losing TV would be the least of our worries.
                Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                ~ ~
                Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

This was a seriously pitiful and dangerous move, the worse part being that in the process, all analog transmitters and equipment are now being destroyed, putting us soley at the mercy of satelites that can and will be come unavailable in some 'enexpected' manner and destroyed by our enemies, leaving us totally up the stinky creek
                  I thought the whole purpose of the digital conversion was to free up the legacy analog bandwidth for more digital applications.

The spectrum allocation is being continuously reworked for more features, including search & rescue as well as defense applications. It's not all oriented toward advertising or entertainment... or better cell phone coverage.

I think the benefits outweigh the politics or defense issues. I suspect that far more traffic is carried via undersea fiber than satellite links, too, and they're far more susceptible to "operator error" or "upgrades for our valued customers" than sinister enemy consipiracies.

I'm curious about who'd spend the money, time, or effort to "destroy" the legacy transmitters & equipment.
                  Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                  Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                  We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                  Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

I'm not much of a TV watcher, so that wasn't a major part of my post, and analog was used for more than just TV.
                    It's more that I suspect there is something beyond the common statement of freeing up analog lines to sell off and utilize for other things. We end up losing privacy, abilities to communicate on less controled mediums, and if a 'malfunction' occurs, then we're highly suceptible if everything is directed thru a centralized means.
                    I heard that ham radio (and other systems) was also going to be killed off. If that happens, then we are even more isolated in our abilities to communicate outside the box of control.

Maybe the mountain is masquerading as a molehill and will be more apparent when it's too late?

Comment

Ham radio is not going to be killed off. How would you kill it anyway? It's in the hands of the people across the world and has been for a very long time.

If the events you describe were to happen, I think we'd have a lot more to worry about than missing our favorite TV shows.

On a related note, I heard somewhere that 90% of all statistics are made up out of thin air! Someone else told me that goes for conspiracy theories too.
                      Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine!

Comment

Originally posted by Richfuel View Post
                        On a related note, I heard somewhere that 90% of all statistics are made up out of thin air!
                        I think the correct statement is that 84.5% of statistics are made up.
                        Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

I'm not much of a TV watcher, so that wasn't a major part of my post, and analog was used for more than just TV.
                          It's more that I suspect there is something beyond the common statement of freeing up analog lines to sell off and utilize for other things. We end up losing privacy, abilities to communicate on less controled mediums, and if a 'malfunction' occurs, then we're highly suceptible if everything is directed thru a centralized means.
                          I heard that ham radio (and other systems) was also going to be killed off. If that happens, then we are even more isolated in our abilities to communicate outside the box of control.

Maybe the mountain is masquerading as a molehill and will be more apparent when it's too late?
                          This transition is only for a small portion of the analog spectrum, part that TV broadcast were using. Part of the benfits:

Freeing up parts of the broadcast spectrum for public safety communications (police/fire/rescue).

Allowing some of the spectrum to be auctioned to companies that will be able to provide consumers with more advanced wireless services (such as wireless broadband).

Also not all analog equipment is going to be "destroyed". Local TV still broadcast HDTV via analog as well. They just use a higher spectrum for that which is not going away.

HAM radio is going nowhere because we are not disconnecting ALL analog equipment/towers.

I don't mean this is a bad way, but i don't think you understand exactly what is happening with the analog to digital TV transition.
                          website - http://www.brianhancock.com
                          blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

You are correct, I don't, and that's one reason I put this thread up, not just as a diatribe, but to garner an informative discussion on it. But I still feel there is more than meets the eye on all this and will one day rue the termination of the majority of analog services.

Comment

The electronics in an AM radio set cannot detect DC signals which you need to do in order to process digital signals.

Comment

Working...
                              X