X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honoruru
    replied
    Re: Annoying phrases

Back when I was in journalism school (UH), and later worked in journalism, and even later in advertising, it was pounded into us that saying "outer islands" was a big NO NO! The proper term to use when referring to islands other than O‘ahu (collectively) would be "Neighbor Islands" or the name of the individual island.

Recently (on several occasion) I have heard local news anchors/reporters use the term "outer islands". Whoa! Every time I heard that I was stunned! Back in my days, that would have been cause to be fired.

I guess journalism standards today are not what they used to be.

Leave a comment:

• craigwatanabe
    replied

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
    I resent that comment a lot! Not all on Oahu use that terminology and you are lumping everyone here into one big group. That is not accurate.
    accurate enough. Hey I used to live in Honolulu and the resentment goes deeper for those on the "neighbor islands" who have to take it everytime the news is on or we read it in the papers.

Leave a comment:

• anapuni808
    replied

I resent that comment a lot! Not all on Oahu use that terminology and you are lumping everyone here into one big group. That is not accurate.

Leave a comment:

• craigwatanabe
    replied

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
    Does that make Oahu residents inners?
    No but if we keep using that phrase, Oahuans will be considered an outer island by other islands. We who live on the adjacent islands call each island by their respective names unlike Oahu that lumps all of us together and calls us the outer islands as if we're not part of the state.

That's the Honolulu-centric attitude that prevails here in Hawaii.

Leave a comment:

• Walkoff Balk
    replied

Originally posted by Creative-1 View Post
    Neighbor island residents hate being referred to as ”outer islands.“
    Does that make Oahu residents inners?

Leave a comment:

• Creative-1
    replied

Neighbor island residents hate being referred to as ”outer islands.“

Leave a comment:

• anapuni808
    replied

something that really annoys me is when someone says they are "in" Maui for example, or any other island anywhere. You aren't "in" an island - you are ON the island. You can be in the city of Honolulu, but you are ON O`ahu.

Leave a comment:

• surlygirly
    replied

I'm sick of the term "posturing". That doesn't even seem like a real word! Makes me feel like I need to go stand up straight or something. And EVERYONE is using it now. Errggh!

Leave a comment:

• Walkoff Balk
    replied

Not a quote, but the dumping of Gatorade on the winning coach by his players.

Leave a comment:

• TATTRAT
    replied

I thought when life gives ya lemons, ya just smash the hell out of 'em?

Leave a comment:

• craigwatanabe
    replied

Originally posted by Amati View Post
    When something has gone wrong, to try and look at the positive by saying "making lemonade out of lemons". Well guess what, I've had some pretty baaaaaddd lemonade - it can be quite sour and tart!
    Well make better lemonade out of bad lemonade

Leave a comment:

• Amati
    replied

When something has gone wrong, to try and look at the positive by saying "making lemonade out of lemons". Well guess what, I've had some pretty baaaaaddd lemonade - it can be quite sour and tart!

Leave a comment:

• surlygirly
    replied

Lake Superior State University published their 35th annual list of words and phrases they think should be banned:

Shovel-ready
    Stimulus
    "Obama-ing" a word, as in "Obamanomics"
    Sexting
    Tweeting
    Friending or unfriending
    Bromance
    Chillaxing
    Teachable moment
    Toxic assets
    In these economic times
    Transparent/Transparency
    Too big to fail
    App
    Czar, as in drug czar

I haven't heard of some of these. In fact, the only two I agree with are tweeting and sexting. The rest of them just don't strike me as particularly annoying or I don't hear them enough to bother me. Or I just haven't heard them used at all...like shovel-ready. So this gets a thumbs-down. Just thought I'd share.

Leave a comment:

• craigwatanabe
    replied

IT's all in the dialog

Leave a comment:

• Kaonohi
    replied

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    Indeed. "Da kine" is a word whisker. And that is a concept that is far from unique to Hawaii.

Word whiskers aren't always uttered because a person is ignorant or limited in their vocabulary. Sometimes, it's just the polite thing to say in a conversation about a sensitive matter.
    Far out! (an obvious word whisker)
    I learned another new thing today. Thanks, FM.

According to the 'Urban dictionary:"

"An irrelevant, meaningless word or noise that is interjected into speech when the speaker has run out of words, but is determined to keep on speaking.

-or-

The outward symptom of a serious psychologically induced speech impediment."

"Well, um... I er, ah, well you know, like it's like this you see, I really don't have anything to say. But it makes me feel really important to hear myself talking."

You know, dakine!

K

Leave a comment:

Working...
X