Christmas tree mosquitoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas tree mosquitoes

What's the best way to prevent mosquitoes from breeding in the water of your Christmas tree stand?

After unsuccessfully googling around for relevant discussions, it occurred to me that most people on the worldwide web will never face this problem. Most people who keep Christmas trees in their houses live where it's too cold for mosquitoes to be active at Christmas. And most people who live where it's warm enough for mosquitoes at Christmas don't keep Christmas trees in their houses. The only people who have this problem are folks like us, tropical Americans who insist on following Christmas traditions that are totally wrong for our climate.

I have come up with two possible approaches, but I'm not sure which one is better.
    1. A layer of oil (e.g. cooking oil or olive oil) on top of the water should act as a barrier that prevents the mosquito larvae from getting their breathing tubes to the surface.
    2. Soap (e.g. dishwashing liquid) in the water will lower the surface tension of the water, which should make it impossible for the larvae to stay at the surface to breathe.

What do you guys think? Which sounds like it would work better? I don't think doing both is an option - they'd probably cancel each other out.

Re: Christmas tree mosquitoes

Where else does a family put up their tree but in the living room?
    I've never seen it anywhere else, except one neighbor who had a screened in family/pool room at the back of the house, in So. Cal.

Skeeters, try a drop or two of bleach in the water. It won't hurt the tree, and in fact might perk it up.

Any bug that can survive that and you'd better move!
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

If you don't have pets put a quarter cup bleach in the water along with a tablespoon of corn syrup.

If you have pets use apple cider vinegar in the water.

Comment

A quarter cup?

How much water are we talking about for this tree?
        A very little bleach goes a long way when limiting it's use against merely mosquitos.
        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
          What's the best way to prevent mosquitoes from breeding in the water of your Christmas tree stand?
          I have come up with two possible approaches, but I'm not sure which one is better.
          What do you guys think? Which sounds like it would work better? I don't think doing both is an option - they'd probably cancel each other out.
          What about an artificial tree?
          Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
          Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
          We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
          Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Put an aspirin tablet in da wata.

I'm serious.

Auntie Lynn
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
              Put an aspirin tablet in da wata.
              That's what we always did when we put up our Christmas tree. I never knew why, though. Keeps the tree healthy?

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
                That's what we always did when we put up our Christmas tree. I never knew why, though. Keeps the tree healthy?
                I always put one in when I get roses. It's supposed to make them last longer. I suppose it's the same premise with the tree.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

(I know nothing about what I write. )

Drop a mosquito dunk that contains BTI, Bacillus Thuringiensis Israelensis in your water. These dunks are small circular cakes that float in the garden, slowly releasing a biological control agent that the larvae eat. According to the EPA, BTI is "a naturally occurring soil bacterium registered for control of mosquito larvae." It is completely safe and environmentally sound, affecting only mosquito and black fly larvae.

Also, "Do not use cooking or vegetable oils..."

Originally posted by Eric View Post

1. A layer of oil (e.g. cooking oil or olive oil) on top of the water should act as a barrier that prevents the mosquito larvae from getting their breathing tubes to the surface.
                  2. Soap (e.g. dishwashing liquid) in the water will lower the surface tension of the water, which should make it impossible for the larvae to stay at the surface to breathe.

Comment

Working...
                  X