Local retail rip-offs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Local retail rip-offs

Got a tale of deception, 'miscommunication', or outright theft by a company here in Hawaii?! Post it.

A friend's Japanese girlfriend was charged $80 for two bottles of nothing special water at an ABC store near IMP in Waikiki. Upon questioning the issue the head mgr. comes out with an intimidating style which suddenly changed when my friend stepped in front of his girl..., they found the error but with no satisfactory explanation, and the clerk that made the 'mistake' didn't even bother to apologize.
    This was such a blatant non-error that there really is no legit excuse. Any cashier knows 4 very minor items does not equal $100 and to immediately recheck, and to then have the mgr. behave beligerantly hoping to scare off the timid/unsuspecting Japanese says this is not an uncommon occurance and is probably a typical ripoff practice.

We have undercover's for this stuff and they have made busts, but no doubt it's underfunded and overwhelmed like our food and safety divisions, into infinity...
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Re: Local retail rip-offs

Your friend and his girlfriend might want to send a letter of complaint to the corporate office, including a photocopy of the receipt.
    3. Mail:

ABC Stores
    Customer Service Center
    766 Pohukaina Street
    Honolulu, Hawaii 96813 USA

Comment

Sounds more like this clerk is gouging tourists from other countries that do not speak english very well. Making the sale yes but cashing in on the difference into their pockets. As tutusue already said i'd foward this to the better business bureau, document the time and date, name of (to be) ex-clerk and descrip.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
        Your friend and his girlfriend might want to send a letter of complaint to the corporate office, including a photocopy of the receipt.
        3. Mail:

ABC Stores
        Customer Service Center
        766 Pohukaina Street
        Honolulu, Hawaii 96813 USA
        I agree with you. It's great to tell others about this here but it's even more important to communicate with the corporate office. Even if you don't have the receipt maybe just remembering the date/time you were there could help.
        That way they can trace the MOD and then the cashier.

Comment

Most important is to communicate to visitors the exchange rate, so they can easily tell when they are being over-charged.
          Last year, in Eire, we were spot-on with dollars to Euros, and so when we thought we were being overcharged, we called them on it.

K$$
          Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
          ~ ~
          Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
          Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
          Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

I'm guessing that the store clerk was "per hour", not on a commission basis. Thus, there'd be no personal gain for the clerk to overcharge. So it would be a case of just pure carelessness and inattentiveness. Which is still something that needs to be reported to the corp office.
            Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

There's three ABC Stores near IMP.

One on Kalakaua on the left as you exit, one inside
              and one located at Waikiki Town Center.

Both stores located in the IMP and WTC
              should be also reported to The Queen Emma
              Foundation who manages the site. And
              all stores have video's which covers the
              whole area and can show all merchandise
              perchased.

1stwahine
              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                Most important is to communicate to visitors the exchange rate, so they can easily tell when they are being over-charged.
                Last year, in Eire, we were spot-on with dollars to Euros, and so when we thought we were being overcharged, we called them on it.

K$$

YES! Thats definately the way to go when travelling another country... Do your homework and know the conversion rate cause a un-suspecting person may try to swindle you. If you have the feeling youre being ripped off u can always walk away and take your business to someone else.

Comment

Thanx for all the info/tips. Looks like we still have the reciept, and more follow up to happen.

The first/floor mgr. said the cleark had her finger over the bar code which made the error = BS. It wouldn't have registered at all.
                  The first/floor mgr. didn't even know what the item - HM Deluxe - was..., costing $41.00 ea. There is no item of such on the shelves.
                  I don't finger the clerk, if there is something dirty going on here I see it as an inside job from mgmt. And tampering with a cash register is a federal offense.
                  https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Overcharging customers was one of the major reasons pedicabs were chased out of Waikiki.

Many smart phones have currency converter aps.
                    Burl Burlingame
                    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                    honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Working...
                    X