Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best Part of Today - Chapter 2

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
    Looking forward to the Lantern Floating Ceremony from Magic Island this evening @ 6:30pm. Anyone else gonna go?
    http://www.lanternfloatinghawaii.com/
    [...]
    I wish I could go but I'll be taking my daughter to the airport. We attended last year and encourage everyone to go at least once. It's amazing to be one, small human in a sea of 40,000 other humans where the ambiance is one of overwhelming love, peace and respect. The flickering of lantern lights after the sun sets is breathtaking. A beautiful experience...

Comment

When I had my boat on the oceanfront 800 row at Ala Wai, the yearly lantern float and Christmas parade of boats was fun to watch, but it's usually a mob scene now during MDay. Have fun, and get some great pix to post!
      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Arrived in Las Vegas yesterday morning on Hawaiian Airlines. My back was aching. Six other passengers, MAMA and me --- luggages all lost. We went to our hotel with the clothes on our back and our purses.

We went to Walmart to get some clothes and whatever we needed for the time being. All luggage was returned to us by this afternoon!

I'm watching MAMA enjoy herself.

Am enjoying the sights, FOOD, SHOWS, FOOD, FOOD, etc.

Auntie Lynn
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Finishing the last of four live performances over the four-day weekend at this year's Northwest Folklife Festival in Seattle (the 40th annual). I played bass in two Hawaiian bands, as well as with our halau in the annual hula show, plus I also led a group of about 30 `ukulele players in a half-hour of Beatles songs, where we packed the house (and turned away about 100).

Comment

Going to rehearse shortly, then play a couple gigs in the Seattle area today & tomorrow, with two musicians from Hawai`i that I've not met before - Jon Yamasato & Darin Leong.

(Nice sub-note: this means I will finally have worked with all three members of the band Pure Heart: Jake Shimabukuro, Lopaka Colon & Jon Yamasato.)

This gig is a big step for me as a bassist; first time Hawaiian musicians I've never known in person have hired me, based on a friend's recommendations. Yeah, I'm more than a bit nervous - but also confident that I'll do fine (something I wouldn't have said a year or two ago).

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
              Going to rehearse shortly, then play a couple gigs in the Seattle area today & tomorrow, with two musicians from Hawai`i that I've not met before - Jon Yamasato & Darin Leong.
              A wee touch of video history here.

Comment

I was driving up the Likelike Highway and in front of me was a work truck towing a mortar mixing machine. The name on the machine was... Putzmeister. Really.
                I've never seen that and figured it was a joke, but... http://www.putzmeisteramerica.com/ .

It wasn't necessarily the best part of the day but it sure was the funniest!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Best part of yesterday was helping handicapped kids with Halloween stuff... and the best part of today is that today's date is 11/1/11. Cute.

Oh, and the best part of last week was that I'd had to go into the emergency room a few days earlier and last week the hospital sent a Thank You card! It looks like a normal glossy birthday card kind of thing, but it says "Thank you for coming to Castle Medical Center" on the front and inside it says "Thank you for coming to Castle Medical Center's Emergency Department for your medical care. Your satisfaction is important to us, and our goal is to provide you with an excellent experience.
                  We hope you're feeling better!
                  Sincerely,
                  Physicians and Staff"

I don't recall hearing about any other hospital doing that. It was a pleasant surprise.
                  Last edited by LikaNui; November 1, 2011, 09:13 AM.

Comment

I know this isn't a big deal for some of you here, because you get to do it regularly, but here on the mainland, we don't get as many opportunities to play Hawaiian music with some of the big names.

There's a slack-key festival in Seattle tomorrow, and tonight, I got to play bass at a VIP party for Cyril Pahinui, Jeff Peterson, Sonny Lim, Mark Yamanaka, Kawika Kahiapo, Kunia Galdeira & Mike Kaawa - what a treat! Skylark Rosetti was there, too.

I'm exhausted now!

Comment

Let us know when you get a GOOD gig!
                      That should be a moment to remember, Leo. If anybody you know records it, post it if you can.
                      And try to have fun, k?
                      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                        ... and tonight, I got to play bass at a VIP party for...
                        I'm exhausted now!
                        What a treat! Great time yeah?! And it's a 'good' tired. HaHa!
                        Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Best part of today was completely cleaning up our lanai.
                          Our stuff was encroaching in on my cruising space.

One of 'those' projects I've been putting off, but appreciate and am thankful it's done!

Comment

Those are the kinds of projects that make you feel virtuous when they are done, aren't they, MM? Congratulations on tackling another of 'em.

Comment

Today was wonderful!
                              First we went to near the wall in Waikiki to watch the Toys for Tots motorcycle run. Great fun! These are my friends Sal & Bobbi.

After that we motored down to Keehi South Lagoon to anchor(I walked it up on the beach) so we could scrub and inspect the bottom. Kolohe's doing fine. More Great fun!

B17

Comment

Just saw yours, MM... great stuff! Good job on the boat. And I used to ride in the Toys For Tots every year until I sold my motorcycle a couple of years ago.
                                Best part of today for me was learning that Van Halen is going on tour in 2012, and with David Lee Roth as the frontman! They're also recording a new album with him. First time in 28 years.
                                I always pay attention to Van Halen news. Back when I was in college, they were a garage band in Pasadena and we used to see them play at lots of local parties and small bar gigs.

Comment

Working...
                                X