Working out with weights.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working out with weights.

First, don't take this the wrong way, I'm getting old myself too. I'll be 43 this year.

I believe the average age on this forum is a bit on the older side. So I'm asking this question here.

Been working out in the gym since the college days. Just regular stuff to be in shape. Weight room, run, etc. However, as I get older, I perhaps should think more about what I do.

Back in the days, I've seen guys snap and pop something, and got hurt and never return to the weight room. I myself got one shoulder that "hurts" since my college days from weight lifting.

My question is, what should be the routine for someone that is a bit older? What do you do?

In no ways am I trying to slow down or give up, etc, etc. I just want to do the right things for my body - without hurting it. I'm not 25 anymore.

I've asked the "experts" and many would say the opposite, and point to examples of men in their 50s and 60s that would put make a young man to shame. But that's not me. That's not what I want to do.

For those that are working out, I hope you understand my question.

Re: Working out with weights.

Certainly no knock on older people, but it's inevitable that the anatomy and physiology of people change. Sort of that philosophy of being able to eat whatever you want in the younger days and not gain a pound, and now you can't think of a beer without putting on 2 inches around the waist.

Not sure what's been mentioned to you before, but definitely take a look into more pre-workout warm ups and post workout cooldowns and stretches. I'm sure with several years of experience in the weight room already, you know what kind of attention you should give to your body, but you'd be surprised at how many seasoned professionals neglect simple things like that and render them down for the count.

You really don't want to just wake up and and start pumping iron. It might have taken 5-10 minutes to warm up in the past, but may need 10-15 minutes for the same thing, just to get the blood flowing and the muscles warm and loose. Perhaps a longer jog-in-place and a push-up routine before hitting the weights can be enough to allow you to sustain longer.

Next, there's no need to over-exert anymore. The whole heavy reps until muscle exhaustion may not be necessary. It'll certainly take a little longer to repair, but if you damage it too much, you may not be able to repair. Perhaps more reps with lighter weights for tone would be more suitable than going for strength and bulking.

With that, we can go into a whole new thread about what one should eat, but this isn't about dieting, so we'll keep it on the weights topic.

Finally, if it's not one of the most important things, make sure there's a cooldown and stretch at the end. People tend to forget that they just want to pump iron all day and get massive, and yet muscle contractions tend to reduce flexibility. That, or they want to run 15 miles on the treadmill and then walk it off at the end. Shake the arms loose, roll the shoulders, and pay attention to other muscles you didn't think about, like the neck, lower back, hips, and all the supporting muscles that you used to balance yourself while lifting. You wouldn't think that doing a set of upright rows for your shoulders would actually make your hip flexors sore, but there is bending involved too. With running, you're definitely using your legs and calves, but remember to stretch the ankles, feet/toes/plantar, and even your shoulders (since you're pumping your arms when you run).

But for an example of this change, say in the past you worked out for 1 hour in the gym. The first 5 minutes was warmup and the last 5 minutes was stretching and so you did 50 minutes of weights. That may have worked then, but consider now for that same hour, you'll need to do 10 minutes of warm up and 10 minutes of stretching instead. You can still get adequate results from a 40 minute workout. Some workouts only require 15-min/day 3x/wk, but to each person their own routine.
    Last edited by bjd392; February 17, 2011, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Re: Working out with weights.

I am way over 60 and have been a gym rat for years. At one time I sported some pretty big guns and they were naturals too. As I have aged up my routines have changed though. Today I concentrate on more reps with lighter weights and above all work on technique. That is the best way to avoid injury is use good technique. Stretching and diet are a natural part of my routine. I am within 10 pounds of my high school weight and am bigger than the average American. I also cross train with a bicycle (an hour or two at 15mph average), kayaking, and swimming. I don't run anymore, just too much stress on the ankles and knees. My goal is not being buff anymore, I just want to feel good and good is what I feel, and having fun at it. Uaifi also works out with me with light wieghts just to maintain muscle tone. She is at her weight when she was 17.

I encourage you to keep working but change your focus to maintain weight, muscle tone, and injury prevention.
      Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Working...
      X