a medical ethics issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a medical ethics issue

A question: should I try for (somewhat) premature knee surgery while I still have ins?

Re: a medical ethics issue

Not knowing what your "ins" might be, the first thing that came to my mind, PL, is...why not! Or, are you saying you know a doc who will perform the surgery, regardless if it's the right time or not, but you're not sure if you should go thru with it? If that's the case then a 2nd opinion might help your decision. If that's not the case then it seems to me you have nothing to lose (except some money) by making an appt. and trusting that the doc advises what's appropriate.

Comment

I think the "ins" might stand for medical insurance? if that is the case and the surgery is medically necessary, then of course get it while you have coverage. However if, as you say, the surgery would be "premature" (meaning you don't need it NOW), the insurance company might balk at paying for it.

The only "ethics problem" I see would be your Doctor's - they might be considered unethical for consenting to perform unecessary surgery. I would have a problem with a doctor who would do that. I don't see where YOU would be considered unethical - after all, you have been paying for the insurance so you would be covered for surgeries and other issues. This is why you have insurance in the first place.
      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

The original message is too confusing to have any idea what we are talking about. Don't know what a "premature surgery" is.

I would never have a surgery unless it was absolutely mandatory. Most types of surgery are invasive to one extent or another. I had a "minor surgery" 13 years ago that caused a domino effect. After 3 more surgeries to repair subsequent damage and enough titanium in my body to set off the airport scanner, matapule said "'nuf!" I just live with the results today. It is fine, you learn to adapt.
        Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

If I had paid attention to my knee pain when it first started instead of trying to get by with a knee brace, I could have had a less invasive procedure (injections of cartilage lubricants) instead of a total knee replacement.
          Check with your doctor to see what can be done NOW, and how effective it may be. Otherwise, get it sooner rather than later. If you are having pain now, you probably need intervention.
          Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
          ~ ~
          Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
          Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
          Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Nevermind.
            Last edited by salmoned; April 22, 2011, 03:43 PM.
            May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
              Nevermind.
              Music to my hears! (the devil made me say that) We still love you, oh salt water trout Edward.
              Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Working...
              X