North Shore: How lost can you get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North Shore: How lost can you get?

anyone seen this review of the north shore?

http://www.latimes.com/travel/la-tr-...la-home-travel

This jerk from el lay times recommends coming here to pet sea turtles...
    sheesh.

This is another in a long line of irresponsible, presumptuous, blowhard mainlander reviews of Hawaii.

Too many here on Oahu would take exception to the general tone of this article, especially the incredibly idiotic, irresponsible, ignorant quote describing the experiences the North Shore affords: "It is a sleepy place with a frisson of decadence" with "giant sea turtles you can pet".

ALL sea turtles are protected as endangered species under state and federal law. Harassment and disturbance are strictly prohibited. This includes any physical contact with a turtle.

And you don't second guess the many reasons for the law. And you don't come here and get pissed off because you are restricted in your behavior. And then find ways to push your weight around to get what you want and demand to be satisfied.

One thing locals are tired of is the "ugly american" syndrome too many visitors display, happily promulgating the stereotype.
    And you don't assume "keep out" signs are not to be taken literally. Jeez. What a creep.

Re: North Shore: How lost can you get?

You could contact him and set him straight if you were so inclined.

Times Staff:
    To contact a staff member by e-mail, please compose an e-mail to them using this address format: Firstname.Lastname@latimes.com.
    “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
    http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin
      You could contact him and set him straight if you were so inclined.
      thanks!

you can believe I shot out an email.
      to all concerned...
      the moment I put this up on this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
        thanks!

you can believe I shot out an email.
        to all concerned...
        the moment I put this up on this thread.
        Kimo,

Thanks for the HS links on the other thread btw, I've been trying to educate myself. I must ask you though about your apparent comtempt for Los Angeles. It's hard to reconcile your statements about not disparaging groups, only individuals, when you use terms like "el lay", for me at least. If I reside there, don't I fall into the "group" that is the object of your contempt?

Anyway, I enjoy your sense of humor and hope at least one haole from Los Angeles is counted among your friends.
        “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin
          Kimo,
          I must ask you though about your apparent comtempt for Los Angeles. It's hard to reconcile your statements about not disparaging groups, only individuals, when you use terms like "el lay", for me at least.

I lived there for a while and did business with the studios, which I loved and miss.
          many of my friends are from and in el lay. (el lay... is a term of endearment used by many over the years who have a love/hate relationship with the city of the fallen angels...)

I loved burbank, the hills of beverly, venice, marina del rey, even san pedro.
          Miss the film studios and the industry and all the characters that make it intriguing. made many friends with producers, directors, set decorators, prop masters, actors over the years, as well as creative people in the music and record industry.
          (these seem to be, in my mind, separate, for many reasons, from what makes el lay a vast wasteland... )

But generally, lost angels, as with many big cities, has alot going against it.
          Giving equal time, tho I am glad to say it has much that I enjoyed and still do, when I find myself there on binizz or pleasure.

If I reside there, don't I fall into the "group" that is the object of your contempt?
          Not in the least.
          In this instance, members of a group are separated by their behavior, rather than JUST as a resident...
          When I say "jerk from el lay" I mean this particlular person is a jerk and this is where he is. I am not implying el lay is constituted of nothing but jerks.
          My rebuttal to that LA times article reminded me of a similar review of Hawaii in the San Fran chronicle about 8 months ago. Same thing. Arrogance and dissing our land.
          Will dig it up if I can.
          (see next post.)

many cool people make up the population of Los Angeles as well as the creeps who seem to allll be out on the 405, 101 and PCH. and they ride yer ass. and they flip ya off. and they lean on their horn. Cuz why!? YOU are on THEIR road. Even in the slow lane.
          Last edited by kimo55; March 30, 2005, 03:38 PM.

Comment

"John versus the Volcanoe"
            re;
            John Flinn, Chronicle Staff Writer 's current Hawaii articles
            http://p217.ezboard.com/fmediabingef...opicID=2.topic

John Flinn misses the boat on his latest condescending Hawaii review:
            He exaggerates ito an unprofessional degree and his mainland style of arrogance shines through ... NO one shows off their six pack abs on Lanikai Beach.
            I was raised there and am there many times a week and I have never seen what he reports:
            "Absurdly fit, ridiculously gorgeous men and women jog up and down the street... Sports Illustrated swimsuit models strike yoga poses on the beach. "
            (he likes to use the word: "absurdly" Lanikai is "absurdly gorgeous")

Nope, he's apparently been smoking da local pakalolo.
            Then he tells us:
            "...there's a good chance you'll spot celebrities in Lanikai."
            (even though he mysteriously then claims: "I never saw any of these folks"...)
            Not only is this not true to any degree, it does a disservice to windward Oahu residents; The community becomes trod upon by star gawkers. We don't want or need this. It is a quiet community... we want it kept this way.

He goes on: "Some owners of B&B's don't follow mainland notions of business efficiency"
            Here's a clue; a basic universal rule of what not to do when you visit the islands;
            "Don't tell us how it's done on the mainland."

It's amusing to see another current article by J.L. on how to learn a little of the islands to get along better.
            You want to NOT fit in and make yourself unwanted?! Act like someone fresh off the boat and act like you think you are the center of the universe and complain about things.
            " I've found two small rentals neither of which get an unqualified rave. I'm still searching for the perfect place."

He states with slimy superciliousness: "Maybe we will join the Lanikai Canoe Club"
            You don't just come to Hawaii and swiftly join a tightly knit, fairly elite club of dedicated athletes and experts in the canoe lifestyle. It'll never happen. They obviously won't have you. Especially if you just happen to have a little whim to do so..

John Flinn does another disservice to a kama'aina favorite when he describes: "Giovanni's Aloha Shrimp is a beat-up old van, nearly every inch festooned with graffiti". It MAY be an older van but is is hardly "beat up".

Additionally, if he performed any journalistic research, he would learn this so called graffiti (which implies defacement and vandalism, since graffiti is "unauthorized writing or drawing on a public surface")... this writing obviously and actually is names and complimentary slogans of their regular customers and appreciative audience, (with the smiling approval of the owners) and it is written on PRIVATE property.
            Last edited by kimo55; March 30, 2005, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
              I lived there for a while and did business with the studios, which I loved and miss.
              many of my friends are from and in el lay. (el lay... is a term of endearment used by many over the years who have a love/hate relationship with the city of the fallen angels...)

I loved burbank, the hills of beverly, venice, marina del rey, even san pedro.
              Miss the film studios and the industry and all the characters that make it intriguing. made many friends with producers, directors, set decorators, prop masters, actors over the years, as well as creative people in the music and record industry.
              (these seem to be, in my mind, separate, for many reasons, from what makes el lay a vast wasteland... )

But generally, lost angels, as with many big cities, has alot going against it.
              Giving equal time, tho I am glad to say it has much that I enjoyed and still do, when I find myself there on binizz or pleasure.

Not in the least.
              In this instance, members of a group are separated by their behavior, rather than JUST as a resident...
              When I say "jerk from el lay" I mean this particlular person is a jerk and this is where he is. I am not implying el lay is constituted of nothing but jerks.
              My rebuttal to that LA times article reminded me of a similar review of Hawaii in the San Fran chronicle about 8 months ago. Same thing. Arrogance and dissing our land.
              Will dig it up if I can.
              (see next post.)

many cool people make up the population of Los Angeles as well as the creeps who seem to allll be out on the 405, 101 and PCH. and they ride yer ass. and they flip ya off. and they lean on their horn. Cuz why!? YOU are on THEIR road. Even in the slow lane.
              Thanks for such a thoughtful response.

Funny thing is that only about 1 in 4 Los Angeles residents are "local".

I was born in Los Angeles as was my father before me.

Comment

Working...
              X