Hawaii Food Bank Distribution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaii Food Bank Distribution

I live at Mayor Wrights. In the nine years I have lived here, I've never stood in line for distribution of food, by the Hawaii Food Bank. After witnessing last month's madness from my car, I wanted an up close experience. I went today. ssssSSSShhh! I will go every month from now on! Now I know why they act like animals. Da food is excellent!

read my blog for the rest....

http://www.hawaiistories.com/lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Re: Hawaii Food Bank Distribution

That was a great journal entry. One of the things about this online journaling thing that fascinates me so very much is the chance to read about lives that are so very different from mine, about worlds I have no experience in. When the observations come from someone as clear-eyed as you, Lyn, I don't just think I'm learning about you, but about the world in general, too. I am not a regular reader of your journal, but I always learn something from it when I do check it out.

Before I was a teacher, I was a social worker, and I had a weird job: I was on-call twenty-four hours a day, six days a week. I got paid room and board (Pzarquon and Kilinahe stopped in and visited me once in my office/house in West Loch) plus an hourly wage when I was actually working a crisis intervention case (usually juveniles picked up for status offenses or minor, non-violent law-violations). The "board" part of that compensation was food dropped off by a fellow employee, picked up at the Food Bank. I'll always consider the Food Bank a friend. You know, social workers get paid very little, especially considering the difficulty and importance of their jobs, and I was paid little even for a social worker. Without the Food Bank's contributions, I'd have had a difficult, difficult time of it.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Aloha Scrivener, Wow! I'm honored. I owe my online journaling to Ryan. Since high school I have yearned to write. My dreams were shattered because of an english teacher...my own aunt. My father's sister. Once Ryan set my blog up, I have been going like the everyready bunny. heheheheh

I never imagined that there would be others who read and enjoy my writing. I still don't know how to punctuate in the right places. I just read it out like I'm talking and put whatever's, where I think it should be. Blogging is cheaper than seeing a psychiatrist. I have made many internet friends because of it...mostly women.

Yes, social workers don't make that much money. I have three neices who are social workers. It's hard and dedicated work. I applaud you for having doing it too.

Once again, mahalo for your kind words. It means alot to me, coming from a teacher.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

About the Hawaii Food Bank: I have to make a small mention about a Rhode Islander who is currently involved with the HFB. In the last HFB newsletter, Alan Shawn Feinstein, of Cranston, RI was mentioned. He is a philanthropist who has a goal of eliminating hunger world-wide. He has given away, literally, his millions and millions of dollars, in the name of fighting hunger.

The HFB made reference to him as, if you go to his website (feinsteinfoundation.org), make a donation in the name of the HFB, he will match your donation, up to a total aggragate donation to the HFB of $50,000.

My mouth kind of dropped when I received my copy of this newsletter, which was mailed in March, when I read that the HFB mentioned him and urged all HFB doners to take advantage of his offer. (As soon as I got my copy, I called up Mr. Feinstein wiki-wiki and told him about him being mentioned by the HFB...in his usual way, he seemed kind of non-plussed by it, and hoped that the doners to the HFB would respond 100% to his offer...he's not looking for adoration; he's looking for money for Hawaii's hungry) If anybody is interested, the newsletter can be viewed in PDF file at hawaiifoodbank.org, under the newsletter section.

Hey, I'm still kama'aina at heart, and will be back again someday, but I just wanted to give some kudos to this Rhode Islander who has the vision to see the hunger in all of this nation, not just the hunger in his backyard.

Comment

I agree. There is only one word for aloha.
          Don't be mean,
          try to help.

Comment

What, may i ask is Mayor Wrights please?
            If anyone on Oahu is NOT happy , feel free to trade places with me.

Comment

Originally posted by memorylane
              What, may i ask is Mayor Wrights please?
              It's 5:30 am. here in beautiful Honolulu, Hawai'i. I think I'm dreaming. You what, is Mayor Wrights? heheheheheheheh

Mayor Rights Homes is located on prime land, in the heart of Honolulu. The Housing and Community Development Corporation of Hawai'i, under the State runs it. Most of our residents are Asians and Micronesians. It is soon going to be called, Little Micronesia. (joke)

As with all communities, we have the good and the bad...mostly bad. In the past year, we've had one die of gun fire, another of stabbed wounds and just yesterday another big drug bust.

Yesterday at the resident's monthly meeting, I was surprised to see everyone coming together...finally. The ugly stigma has to stop and it is going to take each and every one of my fellow residents and me to make it happen. Yes, the rent and convienece that we have should be more than reasons for us to combat the problems that persist in our little community.

Sadly, some of the State employees that work here needs to be thrown out. Drinking on the job, taking things that are for residents only, poor meintence upkeep, etc. is just the tip of the problems we face.

Letters and emails to both the director, Stephanie Aivero and our own Govenor Lingle is of no use.

I hope that answers your question. Mahalo, for asking.

Auntie Sleepyhead Pupule
              Last edited by 1stwahine; May 26, 2005, 05:58 AM.

Comment

And so in seeing in another thread, that your rent is cheap in public housing, i can assume that MW is basically public housing aka welfare housing? I am also not sure what pupule is and i am in no way attempting to confuse or aggravate or anger especially since i *use* public housing here in oklahoma myself. Thank you for your patience.

Comment

Originally posted by memorylane
                  And so in seeing in another thread, that your rent is cheap in public housing, i can assume that MW is basically public housing aka welfare housing? I am also not sure what pupule is and i am in no way attempting to confuse or aggravate or anger especially since i *use* public housing here in oklahoma myself. Thank you for your patience.

Aloha Memorylane, MWH is Public Housing. Not all residents are as you say, "welfare." Many are self employed, recieve SS or Social Security, or retirements benefits. PUPULE, in Hawaiian is CRAZY! hehehehehehe I use that as one of my aka names, especially when I'm manic. I have mental illness which is controlled with medication. I wish I didn't have it but I do. I am one who likes to educate others on Mental Illness. It is considered like any other disease but unfortunately the public still needs to be educated that it is. Even doctors fail to treat those like me with dignity and respect. Mahalo for asking.

Aloha,
                  Auntie Lynn aka Auntie Pupule

Note: I am not on WELFARE.
                  Last edited by 1stwahine; May 30, 2005, 12:45 PM.

Comment

pupule, she saying tongue in cheek way "stupid crazy" as we can see she is far from that moniker. re: public housing, no shame. it's the people make a house a home. my mom's family lived on palama st. was tough then, WWII made it even more so on family of 8. the housing has long since been replaced with one gas station but other housings remain today. mom eventually left the rock but I think she done good, from very humble beginnings, and good with us kids.
                    this space for rent

Comment

Thanks for the lessons!

Comment

There was no Food Stamp Distribution last month. Today, eager residents ready to throw blows with each other. Just to be able to be one of the first groups to be called. I fall under the elderly and disabled so I didn't have to put up with their attitudes...nor them, mine's. However, the elderly and disabled, can high speed in getting what items they want without missing a beat.

read more? http://www.hawaiistories.com/lynn

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                          There was no Food Stamp Distribution last month. Today, eager residents ready to throw blows with each other. Just to be able to be one of the first groups to be called. I fall under the elderly and disabled so I didn't have to put up with their attitudes...nor them, mine's. However, the elderly and disabled, can high speed in getting what items they want without missing a beat.

read more? http://www.hawaiistories.com/lynn
                          u one pro blogger auntie!! no worriez u gettem!!

tell dat english teacher (ur aunt) off!! wat she got fo say now??!
                          Reggie aka pinakboy
                          Reggie's Kaukau Time! blog
                          Raw Eats Veggie Videos
                          Recipe Tube TV!
                          Deep Fried Recipes TV!

checkem out!!

Comment

Originally posted by pinakboy
                            u one pro blogger auntie!! no worriez u gettem!!

tell dat english teacher (ur aunt) off!! wat she got fo say now??!
                            Eh, thanks for the compliment. As for my aunt...she old and sickly. I have put it all behind me and love her even for the pain she put me through. Everybody makes mistakes, I do it all the time. Sometimes, we hurt those we love without realizing that we do...life passes by, then we find ourselves alone.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Working...
                            X