oil or something for long hair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: oil or something for long hair?

kimo, kimo, kimo! you constantly surprise me! (what's next? are you gonna reveal that you're really katie holmes pretending to be one local?!?!)

anyway, that last posting was awesome. very informative. tanks! eye opening. wish there was a section on health or something like that so you could write a regular column.

short of a crash course on these kinds of things, is there a particular store you'd recommend (cuz of their knowledgable staff)?

i gatta change my name from shaveice to naive....
    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Originally posted by shaveice
      kimo, kimo, kimo! you constantly surprise me!
      just doin my job.

(what's next? are you gonna reveal that you're really katie holmes pretending to be one local?!?!)
      what th...
      ok:
      Opposite gender, opposite age, (about twice her young years) and I was raised here, she was not. She likes Tom Cruise, I do not.
      In a phrase;
      You can't get there from here.

why and how could I be a woman, and why and how would it be Katie Holmes?
      And if you think I am pretending to be one local, you haven't been reading too many of my posts. Or if so, I haven't communicated very well, thus far.
      Last edited by kimo55; June 24, 2005, 01:36 PM.

Comment

kimo! i wuz only joking!!! no can tell??? guess i have to practice. i'm obviously one bad joker.

ignore my jokes and keep on writing the informative stuff. good reading!
        525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

short of a crash course on these kinds of things, is there a particular store you'd recommend (cuz of their knowledgable staff)?

Kokua is ok. thing is, places like this, gotta hit up each supplement salesperson, they all have varying degrees of knowledge. of course, some may work at a health food store and have no background.
          Down to Earth on King is ok, too.
          Caveat auditor;
          let the listener beware; this place is great... lotta helpful people good shopping choices in packed ailes.
          But they are purportely an ALL vegetarian shop. This means, supplements that have ANY animal byproducts are not available, or recommended.

eg: If a supplement is only available in caps, they won't advise or mention it.
          You see, there is a much smaller percentage of viable nutritional supplements that employ the use of cellulosic raw materials (vegetable cellulose) that satisfy vegetarian and cultural needs, in their raw packaging. Most manufacturers use standard capsules made from bovine hide gelatin. Some may use capsules made from fish skin gelatin.
          Out of principle, I believe, DtH won't advise any product manufactured with fish or cow parts... (that's what I have seen and heard. Could be wrong, tho.)

Celestial in Haleiwa is almost just the way it was, back in 69 and 70, in da ol hippie days, when I useta hang out there. (tho it was called Haleiwa Natural Foods) head shops abound, cool old stores and a couple health food stores, back in the day. Celestial, I am glad, has held on all these years. Da wahine that run that place are all pretty knowledgable.

Go thru da list here, scroll down to Hawaii section.
          http://www.greenpeople.org/foodcoops.htm
          Last edited by kimo55; June 24, 2005, 02:39 PM.

Comment

well, i tried the tea tree oil for the first time today and it helped. wanted to start off slow so i wet my hands and applied some of it. maybe i'll use more tomorrow and see if there's a noticable difference.

anyway, bottom line is that it helps a little. the only thing is that unlike ???, the stuff smells a little funny to me. makes me think of that mosquito repellant!!!

kimo, is there a shampoo and/or conditioner you'd recommend? after reading what you wrote, i bet i'm using some shampoo and conditioner that's not too healthy for my hair (or body). and how about soap? i mean, we use these things daily and so if by chance they're robbing our skin of moisture or clogging our pores, etc., it'd be smart to make a change.....

Comment

Try 'monoi de Tahiti'(google it)-coconut oil mixed with Tiare. I always buy it when I go home-keeps my hair and skin soft and it smells sooo good-just like home. IIRC Long's and DTE sell it.

Comment

KIMO DUDE was Re: oil or something for long hair?

Originally posted by kimo55
                ok; answers, in order;

yes.
                Not til wednesday.
                no.
                maybe.
                Microwave oven.
                emphatically so.
                absolutely not.
                what da hell; give it a go.
                KIMO DUDE! I so TOTALLY QUOTE YOU! You write too much when you can't keep track of your datajabs! @
                Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

to AuntieNellieKulolo: you wrote, "Try 'monoi de Tahiti'(google it)-coconut oil mixed with Tiare. I always buy it when I go home-keeps my hair and skin soft and it smells sooo good-just like home. IIRC Long's and DTE sell it."

hi auntie. sorry i neva write back more quickly :-> sure, i'm willing to check it out. longs is easy but what's DTE?

also, one site wrote, "Hair Conditioner: MONOI TIARE TAHITI may be used as a conditioner for dry hair. Pour a small amount into the palm of your hand and massage into the hair. Shampoo out after 10 or 15 minutes. The oil will enter the hair and replace the natural oils, giving your hair natural body and sheen." so is it too much to put on AFTER a shampoo? do you put it on before a shampoo and then wash it out?

thanks for the advice! i must have passed it a hundred times but i've never known anything about it before now.

Comment

so is it too much to put on AFTER a shampoo? do you put it on before a shampoo and then wash it out?

Monoi Tiare
                    http://www.hawaiianresources.net/Monoi/Images/1MTT4.jpg
                    can be put massaged into hair and left in for that matter, then rub some all ovah da bawday.
                    Hui!

Comment

to AuntieNellieKulolo: you wrote, "Try 'monoi de Tahiti'(google it)-coconut oil mixed with Tiare. I always buy it when I go home-keeps my hair and skin soft and it smells sooo good-just like home. IIRC Long's and DTE sell it."

hi auntie. sorry i neva write back more quickly :-> sure, i'm willing to check it out. longs is easy but what's DTE?

also, one site wrote, "Hair Conditioner: MONOI TIARE TAHITI may be used as a conditioner for dry hair. Pour a small amount into the palm of your hand and massage into the hair. Shampoo out after 10 or 15 minutes. The oil will enter the hair and replace the natural oils, giving your hair natural body and sheen." so is it too much to put on AFTER a shampoo? do you put it on before a shampoo and then wash it out?

thanks for the advice! i must have passed it a hundred times but i've never known anything about it before now.
                      Before or after shampoo is good but my roots get oily so I don't put it on the roots after, only the ends.

DTE= Down To Earth. I miss living around the corner from there!

Comment

to auntie,

thanks! dte. hmmm. never thought of it like that. makes sense :-)

thanks for the suggestion. i'll try to make it to longs today.

Comment

by the way, is it bad to keep one's scalp wet? i mean, after a shower, i tie the back and put on a bandana (vs. drying my hair with a fan) so my scalp usually stays wet/damp for 2 or 3 hours afterwards.

feels nice and cool to me but i may unknowingly be harming my scalp?

Comment

by the way, is it bad to keep one's scalp wet? i mean, after a shower, i tie the back and put on a bandana (vs. drying my hair with a fan) so my scalp usually stays wet/damp for 2 or 3 hours afterwards.

feels nice and cool to me but i may unknowingly be harming my scalp?
                            yea, water is SOOOO terrible for the body, ohmiGAWD!

Comment

ha! ha! kimo, you crack me up! no, i don't mean it la dat! of course water is cool, but i vaguely remember somebody saying that if you keep your scalp wet, it would make you more prone to losing hair so i just wondered if anyone thought it mattered.

on another note, that great site on long hair that you posted strongly recommended that a person not brush their hair when it's wet, not cuz water's bad but (i assume) cuz your hair's "weaker" when it's wet and so brushing may damage/break it, etc. i neva would a thought about not doing that before reading stuff from that site...

Comment

to AuntieNellieKulolo,

sorry i neva write sooner! got distracted. long story short, i was at ala moana so i went into vim n vigor and smelled the monoi de tahiti. you're right. it smells sooo good. (just my two cents but the tea tree oil smell doesn't turn me on at all.) tried the monoi and it works well.

also, in case someone wants just a generic thing, you can get a whole 14 fl oz of coconut oil for something like $6.50. the brand is saw is called spectrum.

been also applying some of it to my cracked heels. auwe! don't know why my heals started cracking recently. must be wearing rubber slippers too often. anyway, i think it helps.

thanks for the tip auntie

Comment

Working...
                                X