Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It is Well with My Sole (consumer advice on insoles)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It is Well with My Sole (consumer advice on insoles)

A little help, please. I'm encouraged by the great response to Adrian's deodorant question to pose this question here.

I just bought a couple of new pairs of shoes and am considering insoles for both pairs. I used to play a lot of tennis and just used whatever insoles were convenient and affordable, but for the last several years have just gone with whatever the shoes came with.

The shoes I wear at work are selected for their comfort and professional appropriateness, not to mention my refusal to grow up fully: All-black Vans, by which I have sworn since I first became a teacher. I typically leave them at work in the bottom drawer of my desk, putting them on in the morning and taking them off at the end of the day.

I've also begun to do some light running in the mornings, and picked up some Avia running shoes, selected mostly for comfort and affordability. I'll probably use them as my walking-about-town shoes, too, since I'm not committed enough to the running thing (yet) for a running-only pair.

Here's where I get a little nervous writing about this. I don't like talking about my feet, and I don't like people looking at my feet, and I really don't like people touching my feet, despite having been told that my feet are nice enough.

They've been sore lately. I mean really sore. I've gone through this before, and new pairs of shoes pretty much did the trick. The thing is, I'd like to get them healthy and happy again as soon as possible, and I'd like to keep them that way.

So. Insoles. You got advice? Scientific explanations?
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Re: It is Well with My Sole (consumer advice on insoles)

picture of yer feet please....?

ok..

i would go with gel insoles.
    like walking on water. they have a lil massaging action goin on.
    those cheap sponge ones don't last worth a damn.

think dr scholls has a version. try long's.
    Last edited by kimo55; July 25, 2005, 10:00 PM.

Comment

I have neuropathy. I went to see a Podiatrist couple of weeks ago. My feet aches from the arch and heels. Most of the time when I'm sitting down, I'm tippy toeing. Doctor tells me that I can get my feet cast and a personalized insole can be made for $150.00+ or I can go to Longs and buy DR. Scholl's for less than $20.00. I went to Longs.

Another thing I do is treat myself to a pedicure. A lot of men go to the salon I go to. Soaking the feet in a feet whirlpool tub while having a turbo massage built in the chair. Then the cleaning, painting (optional) and the foot massage. Feels so good. Try it with an open mind. You'll love it.

Pamper yourself...you deserve it!

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
        Soaking the feet in a feet whirlpool tub while having a turbo massage built in the chair. Then the cleaning, painting (optional) and the foot massage. Feels so good. Try it with an open mind. You'll love it.
        Oh, man, that really does sound heavenly, but I don't know if I can bring myself to allow someone to touch my feet that way! In my entire adult life, I've only let one person anywhere near my feet. I'm super-duper-mega-ticklish, too, so I don't know if I could handle.

Wait--cleaning? I thought a pedicure was just nail-painting. No? What do they actually do in there, behind the faux-Patrick-Nagel window decals?

But in case I do, where is this salon you recommend?
        Last edited by scrivener; July 25, 2005, 10:33 PM. Reason: "Give me more; drive me across the floor..."
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

>Oh, man, that really does sound heavenly, but I don't know if I can bring myself to allow someone to touch my feet that way!

believe me, scriv they HAVE seen much worse.

>Wait--cleaning? I thought a pedicure was just nail-painting.

no, they get in with delicate intrenching tools so after, even "Monk" would eat off yer feet.

Comment

It's located in the King Complex. King/Dillingham KFC and Alpha Video. The only salon there, can't miss it. They also play movie videos while you're being pampered. Lots of male patrons. The men and women cosmotologist doing it are professional. Everything is clean unlike someplaces. Price $20.00

Another good one is located in Chinatown Open Market Place as you enter from Maunakea. It's on your right hand side. Price is $16.00

Aunty Lynn
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
              They've been sore lately. I mean really sore. I've gone through this before, and new pairs of shoes pretty much did

hey scriv;
              I just thought if another possible epitaph for you:

"I told you my feet were killing me!"

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                I've also begun to do some light running in the mornings, and picked up some Avia running shoes, selected mostly for comfort and affordability. I'll probably use them as my walking-about-town shoes, too, since I'm not committed enough to the running thing (yet) for a running-only pair.
                This is indeed good news...I always get excited when I read that somebody has taken up running. One thing I'd like to mention: I don't know many runners who run in Avias..in the running world that is an obscure brand; I think Avias are more popular with the aerobic crowd than runners. In fact, few running outlets carry them as a brand to run it. Your more popular running shoes are: New Balance, Nike, Saucony, Brooks, Asics, Mizunos, adidas, and Reeboks. I would not like to see you possibly get discouraged from running due to discomfort and/or a possible injury from running in a shoe that really isn't meant to be run in.

The Running Room on Kapahulu in Honolulu is probably your best local source for decent running shoes..they are also, if I recall, one the "official" stores for running gear during the Honolulu Marathon week. (Nike, of course, is the official shoe) I'd say check 'em out and let them select a shoe for your particular height/weight ratio, your pronation tendancies, etc., if your contemplating about getting serious about running.

They also have scads of inserts for your shoes. They can pick one out based on what your trying to accomplish and in what shoe you want to do it.

Road Runner Sports in San Diego is also a great, albeit expensive place for running gear and inserts. Here is their web-site.

Road Runner Sports

Comment

Tip: Check the packaging before you open and cut it to size.

I spent $8 for a pair of insoles from walmart, took an hour bus ride home and proceeded to cut it to size, when I glanced on the packaging and saw it was for women's feet, not mens (and apparently, there's a difference)

I thought I'd let you know before you buy anything.
                  How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Working...
                  X