Wassup w/Tattoos?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wassup w/Tattoos?

Well, I have a teen (condolences welcome)...
    I'm just bracing for the "Dad, I want a tattoo" speech.
    Or worse: "Dad, check out my new tattoo..."

Anyone here got one? Or are covered with them?

Re: Wassup w/Tattoos?

When my daughter was 16, she asked for a tattoo for her birthday. Yikes! Anyway, after a few discussions, we decided that she could have one provided I get final say on the design. I didn't want her getting an ugly home-made version so I took her to a tattoo shop where they used sterilized equipment. We chose a pretty vine design with her name to resemble an anklet. It's something she won't regret getting when she's in her 30's.

The thing is, if they want it bad enough, they'll get it with or without your knowledge or approval. Sometimes it's better to compromise.

Send POI

Comment

I have 2 tattoos i wouldnt get anyone though.

if my offspring wanted tatoos, i would not be against it.

in fact i hope they tell me b4 they get one. we can make sure the one(s) they get is good quality.

-vic
      Enjoy this moment. This moment is your life.

Comment

I'm a senior citizen recently retired and I've been wanting a tatoo too! My family thinks it's a very BAD idea. I told them I'd want to have my last name done in a character...Kanji. Any suggestions where to go to get one done?
        Retired Senior Member

Comment

Don't have any. (Getting one ear pierced was my only brave expedition into that kind of territory and I don't wear the ring anymore.)

But I like them. I especially like the armband or anklet designs.

Comment

Well, I have a son, the middle one, who got a tatoo. He hasn't showed it to me or even told me about it. My youngest son told me about it.

He's in the air force and got the air force insignia. Like I said I haven't seen it but he's of age and can do what he wants with his body. He already proved this without my consent. I hope he won't regret it later on in life.

Comment

People often get on a freak-out about tattoos, for what reason I know not. I waited five years to get mine, being absolutely sure of what I wanted on me for the rest of my life. It means a lot to me. A friend of mine (who works at a very respectable shop) did it for me, and did a hell of a job. The only thing keeping me from getting more is a lack of funds.

It's an art form when done by the right person. And it takes a tremendous amount of upkeep. No sun, constant lotion application, and all that. People weep about "oh think about when you're 70," and I'm like, "either I'll be dead, or my skin will be as white as it is now."

A good tattoo is fine art, and should be respected as such.

Comment

I've always wanted a nice, small discreet one. Something not obvious to passerby, but still noticeable to someone who knows me. However, I am the world's biggest baby and can't see doing it until they somehow come up with a way to make the process painless.

I admit it, though. I am a sexist. If my son wanted a tattoo, I think I'd be okay with it. But if my daughter wanted one? No. Freaking. Way.

Comment

Sorry to say, but the pain involved in a tattoo is one of the best parts of getting one. And it's not nearly as bad as some would expect. Some places I've had done felt like I was being cut by a knife, while others just felt like being scratched.

Pain isn't always a bad thing.

Comment

Originally posted by dick
                    Pain isn't always a bad thing.
                    Heh. I'll keep that in mind when I'm in labor and they ask if I want an epidural.

The best tattoo I think I've ever seen is in the 90's remake ofRomeo & Juliet . Friar Lawrence has this really cool gothic cross on his back.

Comment

Personally, I like "Tribal" or "Polynesian design" tattoos such as this one. He designed his own tattoos as well as tattoos for other guys on the ship.
                      Send POI

Comment

Your albums are wonderful Lei...thanks for sharing. The Polynesian tatoos reallly have meanings behind them...the Honu is always nice...very peaceful meaning for me.
                        Retired Senior Member

Comment

Originally posted by Mocha
                          Your albums are wonderful Lei...thanks for sharing. The Polynesian tatoos reallly have meanings behind them...the Honu is always nice...very peaceful meaning for me.
                          I think he chose a honu because it's his name. The artwork has very intricate detailing and (according to Honu) it's not complete yet. Thanks for the compliment on the albums, I thought it was a good way to share the photos with ohana and friends back home.
                          Send POI

Comment

i've got a 5 inch strand of flowers & vines down my right leg...my sis,son & i are going to get one with our amakuas mixed into tribal band..i hate getting shots,blood drawn,anything ...so was shocked when i "survived" the tattoo..my son got his 1st one @ 16..i def. would rather know,then for him to come home with one of those homemade ones.....

Comment

beautiful photos lei..am going back in to view all 93....

Comment

Working...
                              X