Gotta euthanize my kids' bird

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gotta euthanize my kids' bird

Okay, I feel like a bad person right now, but I've gotta euthanize one of my kids' parakeets. We have 3 of them, but there's always one bad apple. The bad apple is so lolo it destroys its own habitat--overturns the bird seed and gravel holders, destroyed the mirror/swing/perch the other birds loved, pecks away at the perches until they're destroyed and I have to go out and get new ones. We've gotten a myriad of toys for it to play with. It pecks away at the toys until they're destroyed. I can't take it anymore! I respect animals, but this dang bird has got to go. The kids are at camp, and so this is a good opportunity to do you know what to it.

Any ideas on how to gently euthanize this bird?

BTW, I did call the humane society and 3 other locales the humane society thought might take my bird--no one wants it. The humane society said they would take it only if I couldn't find another home for it, but then I wouldn't want the new owners to be stuck with this crazy, destructive bird.
    * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
    - Anna Quindlen

Re: Gotta euthanize my kids' bird

Originally posted by U'ilani
    Okay, I feel like a bad person right now, but I've gotta euthanize one of my kids' parakeets.

Any ideas on how to gently euthanize this bird?
    Oooh. "Gently"? I guess that means that wringing its neck, or chopping its head off with a cleaver, are out.

You could try CO2. Get some dry ice and put it in a lidded container big enough for the bird (a garbage can maybe?). Pop the bird in, and don't open it until the little guy has stopped breathing for a while.

Comment

Don't kill the bird. How about taking it back to the store you got it from. Make up a story saying you're moving and can't take the bird or something.

If worse comes to worse .....open a window ....and see ya!
      ( this should be a last resort)
      Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
      Flickr

Comment

I wonder if you couldn't give it to your kids' school? Maybe the reason the bird is whacko is because the cage is too small for 3 birds or because the other 2 have bonded. Maybe if the bad bird is placed into a different situation, it wouldn't act out. Since school's starting, maybe approaching one of the teachers would be a good thing. That's better than killing the bird and then feeling guilty about it or having to lie to your kids about where the bird disappeared.

Heh. That's how I ended up "adopting" a white rat when I was in elementary school. It started out as a class pet but at the end of the year, no one wanted it, so I snuck it home and my Mom didn't have the heart to kill it, so she let me keep Curiosity as a pet. He was great...followed me around like a dog, would come when I called his name...Smartest little critter I ever had as a pet.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro

You could try CO2. Get some dry ice and put it in a lidded container big enough for the bird (a garbage can maybe?). Pop the bird in, and don't open it until the little guy has stopped breathing for a while.
          Sounds like a tried and true method you've used at least once before. Who was the victim?

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
            Sounds like a tried and true method you've used at least once before. Who was the victim?
            Never tried it, only read about it.

I swear.

Comment

Buy another cage?
              “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
              http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Awwwwww. Give the birdie a chance. Just because he's not normal don't make him bad! go to the birddie doctor and get some medications for him. A drop a day will at least keep hin sedated. Kinda like having a BI-POAR BIRD! I'll take the birdie. He'll feel right at home with me. Honest.

Auntie Lynn
                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Give me the bird. Don't kill it. It's not happy, that's why it's destructive. I've had lots of parakeets, have a myna now and would love to have another leetle tweeter.

And if it doesn't straighten out, I'll wring its cute little neck!

Comment

Oops, just noticed you're in Seattle. Never mind!

But please, just dump it at a pet store. Chances are (as mentioned by someone else) it'll be fine in a new environment.

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza

Oops, just noticed you're in Seattle. Never mind!
                      There you go, Miulang! A parakeet for Panzo!

Comment

Snowy has been living in a very large bird cage. I can't return her to the store--we've had her for 2 years; they won't take her back.

I've put in a call to the Humane Society. She'll go there tomorrow. The kids know I've been wanting to get rid of all 3 birds. They'll be happy they still have the 2 left.

Mahalo for all of your responses!! I wouldn't wish this lolo bird on Auntie Lynn or MadAzza. I will keep the CO2 in mind, though, if the HS changes its mind.

Seven more days until I head back home to Hawaii for vacation!
                        * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
                        - Anna Quindlen

Comment

I just thought of another option:

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=6193

Comment

aww get him a little leather jacket that says "Bad Birds Forever" and a chrome pirch he's just a biker birdie

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza

I just thought of another option:

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=6193

Comment

Working...
                              X