Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to go to take a load off your mind?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to go to take a load off your mind?

I just finished my midterms and I'm so stressed! I'm actually getting sick of computers (we had to build a computer from scratch, then use that to install an OS on 2 other computers w/out touching them, and home isn't helping, as I had to remove numerous spyware/viruses on computers and not to mention the internet connection problem).

Luckily, its a 4 day weekend, so I can atleast escape from it all.

Where can I go to just get away? Is there somewhere a college student technician can go to just be one with nature and forget about everything?
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Where to go to take a load off your mind?

Femme Nu...

Hey, to each his own, right?

Comment

This might sound weird, but in addition to the usual suggestions of parks, beaches, and neighborhood walks, I'd add the bowling alley.

I don't mean to bowl at; I mean to relax in. Sure, it's noisy, but there's something about the place that's first of all completely different from anywhere else in the world, and at the same time comforting and normal. Get something to eat, find a good booth, bring a newspaper or magazine, and just chill, especially in the later hours of the evening, and you might find yourself strangely refreshed.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I just found out walking is relaxing and stopping to take in the scene is interesting too. Each day taking another block. Plus it's good for the heath and mind.

Hey, Adrian! when you get time and not to pressured out, I'll pay you to fix my whacko hp computer. I'll also pay you to hook up my printer that I got last year and the speakers too.

Auntie Lynn

PS. A good one to relax for the day is going to Sea Life Park! I loved going there by myself when I stressed out and watched the dolphins. If you had your own car...driving around the island and acting tourist. If you want, I can take you...let me know. I've been stressed out too. We can can act tourist. LOL I made you SMILE Adrian!
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

During my UH-Manoa days, when things at 31-D got bad, I would retreat to the Japanese gardens behind the East-West Center. Close enough to everything, but you could close your eyes and imagine being thousands of miles away.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
            LOL I made you SMILE Adrian!
            Yes, you did.

Maybe I can take the circle isle bus and play "stranded tourist" in Waimanalo.

Comment

Could always see a movie or two.

Comment

being a home body type turning off the telephones/TV and reading a good book works well,but no tech manuals!! Also I like seeing you around Doc but shut off that PC no posts should be comming our way from you till after the weekend!!
                Your class sounded interesting bro good job,I'm a self tought tech but have yet to do a remote install.I slipstreamed ser pack 2 into a copy of xp pro and was tempted to do some auto install comands but since many times I have to install raid drivers for gaming rigs it wouldn't work out.
                Where would you like to see yourself 5 yrs from now doc? You going corporate server stuff or something else? Just curious I was going to change business's when I found I liked learning PC tech and looked to build up a business to build,admin,e-mail serv like a friend of mine but realized even though he made bank he was tied down and when a business crashed he had to work until it was back up and always had to have a beeper on blah.
                If I did anything in that area it would be a mom and pop shop and a slow pace but thats how the old guy in me thinks anymore

Comment

Originally posted by helen
                  Could always see a movie or two.
                  After seeing that CNN report on movie theaters, I don't think I'd pay $10 to hear people's cell phone converstation.

Originally posted by Fondoo
                  being a home body type turning off the telephones/TV and reading a good book works well,but no tech manuals!! Also I like seeing you around Doc but shut off that PC no posts should be comming our way from you till after the weekend!!
                  Your class sounded interesting bro good job,I'm a self tought tech but have yet to do a remote install.I slipstreamed ser pack 2 into a copy of xp pro and was tempted to do some auto install comands but since many times I have to install raid drivers for gaming rigs it wouldn't work out.
                  Where would you like to see yourself 5 yrs from now doc? You going corporate server stuff or something else? Just curious I was going to change business's when I found I liked learning PC tech and looked to build up a business to build,admin,e-mail serv like a friend of mine but realized even though he made bank he was tied down and when a business crashed he had to work until it was back up and always had to have a beeper on blah.
                  If I did anything in that area it would be a mom and pop shop and a slow pace but thats how the old guy in me thinks anymore
                  I look in my room and the only books in here are computer related (ranging from TCP/IP to subnetting and securing a network) and that's from the library! And I just want to work with computers, maybe in a small shop where people bring in their stuff or I go out and fix theirs. Since the job market is a bit tight at the moment, I just need a few referrals from people I've worked with (and so far, its only family).

So far, I'll be going to the Academy of Arts tomorrow (if my Mom and my friend wakes up early enough), then on Saturday, I'll be fixing 1stwahine's computer, then maybe I'll stop by the library afterwards. On Sunday, maybe I can kill some people in GTA!

And of course, I'll be turning off my computer (shutting it down, instead of hibernating it) this weekend, so don't worry if you don't see me online.

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456
                    After seeing that CNN report on movie theaters, I don't think I'd pay $10 to hear people's cell phone converstation.
                    I don't think it happens enough for you to be worry about it. And at the most a movie runs at $8.50.

Comment

Okay, a little more serious one this time...

It's a little hard to describe, but there's a park above the fire station in Kaimuki. Just across the H-1 from the top of Waialae.

You park up the hill behind there in a residential neighborhood, then walk up the hillside to a view looking Ewa across Kaimuki and Kapahulu towards Aloha Tower.

A lot more people seem to know about this place nowadays, which means it's hard to really be alone up there like it used to be.

But for townies without the time and or means to get around, it's a good spot to sit above it all and contemplate your navel.

Just remember to take your opala with you. Sick of finding empty bottles, fast food bags and condom wrappers when I go up there.

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456
                        Maybe I can take the circle isle bus and play "stranded tourist" in Waimanalo.
                        Stop at Keneke's for a plate lunch... ono kine grinds, with enough leftovers to take with you for dinner!

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
                          Okay, a little more serious one this time...

It's a little hard to describe, but there's a park above the fire station in Kaimuki. Just across the H-1 from the top of Waialae.

You park up the hill behind there in a residential neighborhood, then walk up the hillside to a view looking Ewa across Kaimuki and Kapahulu towards Aloha Tower.

A lot more people seem to know about this place nowadays, which means it's hard to really be alone up there like it used to be.

But for townies without the time and or means to get around, it's a good spot to sit above it all and contemplate your navel.

Just remember to take your opala with you. Sick of finding empty bottles, fast food bags and condom wrappers when I go up there.
                          Is that Pa'ke Park you talking about?
                          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I lace up my Mizunos or New Balances and tear up my running route. I have found that when I have a lot weighing on my mind, or if I happen to be upset or angry about something, I record some exceptionally fast runs, much faster than I normally do. It seems that when I am not focusing on the task at hand (running) and am thinking of entirely something else, the miles fly by, and by the time the run is all pau, I have usually improved my demeanor or disposition. Probably the endorphins kicking in by that time.

Speaking of great parks in Honolulu with super vistas and not too many people around, I like the one at the high end of Wilhemena Rise Drive...the view up there is spectacular. I forget its name.
                            Last edited by Surfingfarmboy; September 2, 2005, 08:13 AM. Reason: Ranch!!!

Comment

I do my own "little" Ironman Triathilon. Ride my bike down to Kaka'ako Waterfront Park, walk around a bit and take a swim too. Great place to sit and read also.
                              Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X