X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What pisses you off? - Chapter 3

What pisses me off:

People who tell other people that their opinions are "wrong." (Happens a few times here on HT, too, I'm shocked to say.)

Facts and information that people present can be "right" or "wrong"; the person expressing an opinion can be "mis-informed"; but the opinion expressed can not, in and of itself and by its very nature, be either "right" or "wrong."

You invalidate others by telling them that their opinions are "wrong" - better to say that you disagree, and then present information to support YOUR opinion. You can help to open some eyes and minds that way.

Re: What pisses you off? - Chapter 3

Toy packaging.

Look, I understand theft is a big problem. But these days, the lengths manufacturers go to just to keep toys in their boxes are reason enough to stop buying them. (Much to my wife's chagrin, I spend more time thinking about how to pare our kids' collection down rather than how to grow it!)

It's bad enough that most toys are nothing but cheap, plastic commercials for mass-market pablum, but it's now common practice for these things to be tied into their packaging. Literally. We're talking twisted BDSM wannabees clearly working the lines at Mattel. Whether it's a doll or a baby ball toy or a fire truck, there's often no fewer than twenty thick metal wires wrapped around and through the plaything and the package, twisted tight, knotted, taped over, and worse.

I've seen a couple of toys actually screwed into their boxes. Or, actually, screwed onto random, giant planks of scrap plastic, like those CD protectors at record stores, presumably to make it inconvenient to slip that Little Tikes farmhouse under your shirt. Requiring a screwdriver to get into battery compartments makes sense - I'm glad toy makers are doing that now. But requiring a screwdriver just to get the toy out of the package? That's insane!

Comment

Re: What pisses you off? - Chapter 2

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
      What pisses me off:

People who tell other people that their opinions are "wrong." (Happens a few times here on HT, too, I'm shocked to say.)

Facts and information that people present can be "right" or "wrong"; the person expressing an opinion can be "mis-informed"; but the opinion expressed can not, in and of itself and by its very nature, be either "right" or "wrong."

You invalidate others by telling them that their opinions are "wrong" - better to say that you disagree, and then present information to support YOUR opinion. You can help to open some eyes and minds that way.
      True, someone's opinion can't be wrong. But it can be evil. Examples are left as an exercise for the reader.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
        True, someone's opinion can't be wrong. But it can be evil. Examples are left as an exercise for the reader.
        ~OR~ The reader can choose to accept it or not.
        Aches & Pains
        (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

toy packaging?
          try consumables packaging. look at all the junk on the shelves at da market. with the stupid names we went over before about a year ago or so like Lunchables
          and those cheese and crackers in all that plastic.

and that big plastic display packaging they use for most costco products; HUGE thick plastic clamshell surrounding a lil tiny product.
          Takes ya a half hour to cut the product outta there and in the process ya get all cut up, and then ya have a pile of waste headed for our overly full landfills...

"What pisses you off?"
          baaaaaad service at restaurants. service that tells ya the managers and employees DO want ya to take yer hard earned money and spend it on another eatery:
          Jose's restaurant row. looking at a menu yetsterday. "Eh You guys have tamales?"
          "lunch is OVER!"
          "uh.... can I just get a tamale?"
          "They are available individually... lunch is over"
          (da hellsat mean!?)
          "well can i just get order a tamale?"
          "You have to go to the bar!"
          so, I ask the bartendress; "eh. what is under?"
          "uhhh the game!"
          "No; if lunch is over, something is under.
          I wanna order that. maybe a tamale. Can I?"
          I know; oblique humor...but instead of playing into it, or try to help me get what I want, I hear a slew of assorted grunts.
          jesus! they really don't wanna serve and sell. ok, I will choose a friendlier restaurant in the row!

the manager would prefer to bark the rules, parameters and schedule of the restaurant instead of expeditiously getting a paying customer something they have right there a couple yards away, in the kitchen, shoved down the hungry man's throat.
          'samaddah wit people?!
          (maybe the manager is pussywhipped. that'd be a real pisser...)

I managed many restaurants as well as worked as bartender and waiter for tooo long. Decades. Someone walks in, and we get them what they want wikiwiki.
          Nowadays, it's all attitude. even decent basic customer service really is a lost art. I don't give a rat's ass about their mood. I don't want them doing somersalts or lickin my boot. I just want to know if I can receive what they are seemingly in business to provide.

now, if it ever went like this, if da joik said:
          "wot da f**k do YOU want?!"
          "tamale."
          "here, here's yer f**kin tamale"
          "that's better!"

then I would be happy happy.
          Last edited by kimo55; September 20, 2005, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
            Thanks, Serenity. I hope you find some way to handle your friend. She probably doesn't realize what she's saying when you're on the phone with her and she goes off on her kid. Or maybe she's critical of you (and others) when you swear because it reminds her of a trait in herself that she dislikes. I think that kind of thing happens alot -- we get critical of other people when they exhibit traits that we see in ourselves that we'd like to get rid of. Does that make any sense?
            Maybe & Perhaps, but thanks for replying back & a newer insight for me to dwell upon.

This is kind of off the subject, but... I really get a kick out of it when I look at the thread "What pisses me off?" and see a post from "Serenity." I dunno why, it just crack me up.
            Well, just because my "nickname" -> is "Serenity", that doesn't mean that I will always be serene, I do have other problems as well as others do. Granted that I do try & try not to be angry, because that only wastes the energy that is inside of all us, but there are lot of things I am angry about & alot I also don't understand, so now & then, I do need some input & feed back from others, in order for me to understand things.

Aloha & God Bless.
            Aches & Pains

Comment

There's no place I can be, since I found Serenity.

Comment

having dated a couple of waitreses I have learned that it's a hard job and I would have to own the place to keep my job as a waiter.If the cook messes up the order you get stiffed on your tip,if the hostes overseats you and you have too many tables you get screwed on a bunch of tips,if other waitreses don't show up you get stressed spread to thin and screwed over for your tip.Then Kimo walks in and expects happy happy server

people that think they are to important to be inconveneinced piss me off

Comment

There's no place I can be, since I found Serenity.
                  Very Profound!. *Double thumbs up smiley*!.
                  Aches & Pains

Comment

Originally posted by Fondoo
                    Yeah!. No kidding, what's up with that kind of people any way?!.

Sheesh!.
                    Aches & Pains

Comment

Originally posted by Fondoo
                      having dated a couple of waitreses I have learned that it's a hard job and I would have to own the place to keep my job as a waiter.If the cook messes up the order you get stiffed on your tip,if the hostes overseats you and you have too many tables you get screwed on a bunch of tips,if other waitreses don't show up you get stressed spread to thin and screwed over for your tip.Then Kimo walks in and expects happy happy server

OK. But if you want to keep your customers happy, then you gotta give them good service. Maybe you as a waiter don't care, but your boss does. Or should.

So is all that stuff you mentioned the customer's fault? I don't think so. You're pissed off at the wrong person. You'd be a lot more justified being pissed off at the order-messing-up cook, the over-seating hostess, the no-show fellow waiters, and the boss who doesn't think it's worth it to hire enough floor staff for adequate coverage.

Comment

so the waitress is havin a bad day. So she's got an issue? here's a tissue. Boo f**kin hoo. Here's a clue; she is paid to have a bad day. or a good day or whatever kinda frikkin day the cook,barkeep, manager, barback, busboy assist in making her perceive her day is. Customers do have a choice to patronize a restaurant that features expiditious service and waitstaff that is freindly and knows if you DO NOT show an interest in getting them what they want (or at least fake some degree of interest) while they stand there with a menu in hand, they WILL take their business elsewhere. and especially if servers bitch about customers who they assume want happy happy servers and who they assume feel inconvenienced when given attitude rather than "what can we get you?"

Comment

Hey, if you don't like being a waitperson, get another job. Life's too short. And the job market, I'm told, is pretty damn hot right now.

You're right, it can ultimately be the restaurant management's fault for not adequately staffing, or compensating, or planning, or training. But, ultimately, dissatisfaction with the server - or any point along the chain - does have its impact where it should: at the company's bottom line. And whether it's because you hire bad people, or you pay people badly, the ultimate result will be the failure of your business. Not an end any business should be striving for.

People who don't understand what the word "service" in the phrase "service industry" means piss me off. Or the "service" part of "food service," for that matter.

Comment

here's one thing they are apparently not taught in restaurant 101...

ya go in at about 5 pm.

howzit.
                            get any beer specials?

no. we have no beer special.

no happy hour deal?

naaah. all regular prices.

(their manager has not taught them to sell anything. and a little instruction is obnviously required when they hire perfunctory non thinking automatons.
                            Rather, the server otta say:
                            Heineken's ice cold at only 4 bux!
                            (or whatever)
                            Just get a beer in their hand!
                            Don't talk them out of it! talk them into it!

Comment

True, someone's opinion can't be wrong. But it can be evil.
                              I hear ya, and respectfully agree.

Comment

Working...
                              X