Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Health Department: Sayonara, Sandwiches!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Health Department: Sayonara, Sandwiches!

What a disaster this story reveals...
    For the past 19 years, Sharon Black has spent her Saturday afternoons making dozens of sandwiches and handing them out to homeless people, complete with a cup of chilled juice and a helping of human kindness.

But after the state Department of Health learned this month that Black's Kau Kau Wagon — that's what she calls her loose-knit group of volunteers — lacked a required permit, she was ordered to stop.
    One complaint, and nearly two decadesof heartwarming humanity is quashed? Even more frustrating was that the group got a permit and had an approved kitchen to make the sandwiches: the Institute for Human Services. But when Black went to IHS to vouch for her efforts, Lynn Maunakea said no. That they were fine helping when it was "under the radar," but they weren't willing to do it officially. And, by the way, Maunakea said, Black can't do it anymore.

Re: Health Department: Sayonara, Sandwiches!

That's worse than that story about the health department shutting down a kid's sidewalk lemonade stand. Surely there must be a way around this.

Comment

If Lingle wants to earn back some karma, she should find an executive power in her purse to use here. I empathise with the Health Department in a way, and certainly if non-credible folks were out there giving bad food to the homeless they'd be slammed for not doing their job, but... sheesh.

What really galls me is Lynn Maunakea's position. Okay, fine, you don't want to write a letter to say, "These sandwiches are made in our approved facility." But to then say, "Now that folks are paying attention, you gotta get outta here." That's awful. Maunakea's been in a pinch many a time, caught in a tight place and looking for help from anyone. I'll eat my hat if a rule has never been bent, a check never cashed, to keep her doors open.

Surely she can see a bit of the IHS' mission in what the sandwich folks are doing... and become an ally and an advocate to find a solution for them, rather than just piling on the misfortune.

Comment

MAMA owned several "resturants" in the Chinatown area. Sharon Black's distribution of food never affected any of the bussinesses in the area. Infact, one could see the lines, the distributions of food , the clean-ups in the place. It would be left in better shape then which they came.

How unfortunate that Maunakea would back down in giving a letter to the Health Dept. so Sharon can continue in distributing food to the Homeless and the needy. I will not give to IHS anymore, no way. There are other agencies that can benefit and with Directors who are truly for the Homeless and Needy!

I hope and pray that a resturant will see Sharon's plight and come to her aide. My best to Sharon and crew. I remember one Thanksgiving. I was nosy. I stood in line like the rest. Got a plate for someone who couldn't walk. Wow! That was a meal! I wanted to go back in line for myself!!!!

Good Luck.

Auntie Lynn of Chinatown!
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

So go say 'Hi'!

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/bo...&threadid=6644

Comment

Aloha All

Peshkwe sent me this link to join u all. First of all I want to say a huge MAHALO for ur support of our lil program KAU KAU wagon. WOW I had no idea but this is wonderful to be able to see all these wonderful people show some heart for others in our community with the greatest of needs.

It's people like u that give lil programs like ours a chance to make a difference. And how can I ever tell u thank u enough? But trust me I'll always try.

To make sure u all have an update, My Auntie Penny, who owns the Penny's Snack Bar, wrote the letter for us and I now have a permit. Although I know by no means will my harassment be over doing what we do, we have a great start in the right direction. The DOH inspector who helped us on this...TONY, was wonderful to us every step of the way. He went way out of his way to help us through this process. So we will be out there today doing what we do, bringing food and most of all the reality of HOPE from our hearts to those who need us most.

I'll write more soon and give more details. But for now I just wanted to make sure u know how thankful for ur support.

BTW for those of u who don't know....LMAO I type way faster then my thoughts and have been dubbed the Huked Un Funix Qween. So bare with me on all the typos and mispellings. Yes, I really am educated. LOL Just not too talented in the typing dept of life. LOL

Hope u all have a wonderful weekend!!

Comment

Got an update story:

Tummys are less rumbly for another day

Comment

MAHALO PESH, I was looking for that follow up.
                Blessings are awesome when they come!
                Aunty Penny will always have a huge part of my heart. I adore that sweet and wonderful woman!
                How can u not? She is very much my hanai family.
                Mike Gordon has been another blessing. Thanks to him more then once his time, effort and outstanding talent to write has saved our lil program more then once. I simply can't thank him enough. WOW!

Comment

Aunty Lynn

I think I remember u!!!! U were right on Hotel Street. U had this small lil place right by the sub station? If that's u, then OMG I remember how wonderful u were to us. U fed us so many times and big ol meals too. No wonder I was so chunky back then. LMAO WOW!! Tell me I have the right lady! And if so where have u gone? I haven't seen u for years!
                  Hugs big time!

Comment

Aloha e Kalona. Thanks for joining us here. Here's hoping that this week's brush with trouble gains you some exposure and some new support for what you're doing... and glad that it's already brought you a new partnership and hopefully some renewed faith in humanity. I'll watch for you on the news -- smiling, if not a little wet.

I liked the Advertiser update. And how the problem with the Health Department was minimized and the eviction by IHS became the primary obstacle. Still don't know what they were thinking. Kudos to Penny Vance and Penny's Lunch Wagon and Snack Bar on Sand Island Access Road. Next time I'm in the neighborhood, I'll put in an extra big order!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                      Kudos to Penny Vance and Penny's Lunch Wagon and Snack Bar on Sand Island Access Road. Next time I'm in the neighborhood, I'll put in an extra big order!
                      Ditto from me.
                      Anything we can do to help!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Aww thanks PZ

It really has helped refresh our faith and hope in the community as a whole. Sometimes it feels like we're alone out there but then a lil miracle like this comes along. So just maybe our getting banned A K A homeless LOL from IHS will turn out to be a blessing after all.

And just maybe the good board members at IHS will ask some serious questions of their director. Last I heard the salary there as a director is quite hefty. Makes it kinda hard to understand how it appears that they may have forgotten their own mission. I sure miss the attitude of Father Du Tiel. I am confident he would have never allowed for such a thing to happen.

Most important to me above all the BS, is that the people who are in need at IHS don't get consequences for admin behavior that has nothing to do with them. I would NEVER advocate that IHS patrons not get the help this generous communty has shared with them through the years. Every lil bit helps. The problem in my eyes is not the ones there getting the help but maybe the ones providing the help.

Also I would like to strongly say that by far MOST of the staff at IHS has been wonderful to us. Especially the kitchen staff. We will miss working with them!

So please if ur a supporter of IHS, keep on supporting them, becuace it's not about the staff, it's about the people who are in need. We have to separate the admin BS from the people there seeking help to get on their feet.

But as u know there's always more to a story then is publicly stated. So keep ur eyes open and u'll see how the dots begin to connect. lol hint hint.

Have a great weekend ALL !!!

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
                          Ditto from me.
                          Anything we can do to help!
                          thank u

Comment

Originally posted by Kalona808

Aloha Kalona!

So just maybe our getting banned A K A homeless LOL from IHS will turn out to be a blessing after all.
                            I'm thinking you're exactly right. I believe certain things happen for a reason, and although you say that your immediate solution (Penny Vance's aloha) is a temporary one, I think it needed to eventually happen anyway. Although you'd been allowed all these past years to utilize the IHS facilities with no apparent problems, it's now become obvious that that arrangement, which has since come under the bureaucratic watch of Ms. Maunakea, really wasn't pono.

And just maybe the good board members at IHS will ask some serious questions of their director. Last I heard the salary there as a director is quite hefty. Makes it kinda hard to understand how it appears that they may have forgotten their own mission. I sure miss the attitude of Father Du Tiel. I am confident he would have never allowed for such a thing to happen.
                            If, as Ms. Maunakea stated earlier, you and the Kau Kau Wagon had all this time been working "under the radar screen" of scrutiny, I also believe that if Father Du Tiel was still in charge, he would've provided you with whatever stealth protection you needed to remain under the radar screen, rather than worry about his own welfare like Ms. Maunakea is apparently doing, because I believe that in his own heart he would've felt that the mission of your work was a righteous one.

But as u know there's always more to a story then is publicly stated. So keep ur eyes open and u'll see how the dots begin to connect. lol hint hint.
                            You can bet we'll all be watching for this drama to unfold.
                            May the wind be always at your back with smooth sailing from here on in. Aloha!

Comment

Lurka

LMAO U get em!!! Thanks....the wind at my back has been the blessing of people like u who believe in being a part of the solution and who care enough to make a difference in their own special way. As far as the Lynns of the world, ehhh they get to live with their own stuff...Karma is an amazing thing when u mess with it enough. What u put out u always get back many times over that includes good and not so good.

They can slap us around all they think they need to BUT I am confident they will NEVER get our heart. We believe in making a difference and we will continue to find ways to do so. The greatest part is we're not alone. Thanks to people like u and others on this discussion board who are willing to see the big picture.

Father Du Tiel started his program with peanut butter snadwhiches. And his dream to make a difference grew into IHS. I'm sure he is one of the many angels looking upon us through our battles.

Comment

Working...
                              X