A Hawaii Wiki

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Hawaii Wiki

I've spent ridiculous amounts of time involved with Wikipedia this past year and I'm wondering why there doesn't seem to be a Hawaii Wiki. Wikipedia is a wonderful, wonderful thing, but it is still a general-interest encyclopedia, and many things that would be interesting to people in (or from, or in love with) Hawaii would never make it on Wikipedia, particularly people of note, such as local entertainers, politicians, and athletes.

I think a Hawaii Wiki would be a LOT of fun, not to mention very, very useful -- I envision it linking to Ryan's HawaiiAnswers and other sources, but mostly remaining the original work of its collaborators.

I have a few questions if your ears are perking up a little:
    What do you think?

Is this something you'd participate in?

Is this something people would find useful?

What would be a good name for it? hawaiiwiki.com, wikihawaii.com, and wikihawaii.org are taken (but nothing useful is being done there).
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Re: A Hawaii Wiki

Scriv, have you tried this link?

http://www.leahi.net/wiki

It's another of Ryan's websites. Kathy with a K is/was doing something with a Radio Free Hawaii thing there. I haven't checked it recently.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Thanks. I forgot that. I knew Ryan had put the Crater Festival somewhere, but forgot where it was. I think I'll play around with it.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

My english teacher did a few articles on Hawaii at wikipedia. She said that it takes a while to get the articles on the frontpage, but its a good feeling that you're giving people the knowledge of Hawaii.
        How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
          I have a few questions if your ears are perking up a little:
          What do you think?

Is this something you'd participate in?

Is this something people would find useful?

What would be a good name for it? hawaiiwiki.com, wikihawaii.com, and wikihawaii.org are taken (but nothing useful is being done there).
          Sounds great if it catches on. Never participated or read WikiPedia articles before, but based on a brief glance, it looks like a dynamic encylopedia, perpetually evolved by its participants.

One annoying attribute about WikiPedia are links to every other subject that particular word or name refers to. But then again, it looks like the whole purpose is for the reader to find subjects of similar interest through this method.

I read the WikiPedia FAQ's about COPYRIGHTS and am most concerned about that part.

I have a WEALTH of printed books on Hawaii History, both old and new. May I use those as references and rewrite it as it pertains what I have learned about the subject?

Would it be useful? Dunno. Can it provide information about Hawaii that otherwise can't simply be "Googled"?

When I post here at HT, I try as much as possible to provide ORIGINAL content based on my own education, personal experiences and thoughts. If everyone here just copied and pasted stuff from emails and other web sources, then how interesting (or useful) would that be?

As for name, Wiki in Hawaiian basically means "to hurry" - something you certainly don't want anyone doing when attempting to provide FACTS.

"Pedia" (education) should be in there somewhere.

Here's a few URL suggestions which are currently AVAILABLE:
          HawaiiPedia.org
          KumuPedia.org (Source of Learning)
          or:
          A'oHawaii.org (Learn Hawaii)

Those are "loose" translations that surely someone will stand to correct. Just threw those out as "think outside the box" names.

Note: If there will be commercial activity (banner ads), then perhaps the .com suffix would be appropriate. Otherwise .org or .net would be most suited.

Would I participate? Yes, as long as I understood the format clearly. Perhaps if you could post here more info' about the criteria you have in mind.
          Last edited by Pomai; October 10, 2005, 01:07 PM. Reason: reworded Copyright question
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I love wikis, and set up the one linked above for anyone to use as a sandbox. I was talking to another wiki addict friend of mine, though, and the conversation kept going back to, "Why wouldn't this make a good addition to the larger Wikipedia project?"

Individual, separate wikis are great for a specific project (say, documentation), and perhaps for things only of interest to a small group of folks (i.e. the Sunbums periodical, the Sunshine Festivals, etc.), but once you got into more general territory, such as Hawaiian history or demographics, it seemed clear you'd serve the greater good and help more people by improving an existing resource.

Either way, I happily offer the running install above as a starting point. We could always add a domain name or specific mission later.

Comment

Larger, general-interest topics should definitely be in the general Wikipedia, but take a musician like Melveen Leed, who is definitely "someone" to Hawaii Residents, or a newscaster like Joe Moore, who matters only to people who live here, and you see where we get problems. I think information about these people, even just as a recorded cultural history, would be enormously valuable. This is how I feel about the Crater Festivals, and why I posted the initial query -- something told me that there were a lot of people out there to whom memories of the Crater Festivals meant a great deal. I seriously doubt that a Wiki entry about Andy's Drive-In or the Wisteria would surivive the weeding-out process at Wikipedia, but a wiki dedicated to Hawaii would have to include them, and what a fun thing to put together, to poke around in, and to leave behind for whoever comes after us.
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

So there's a "weeding-out" process in the general Wikipedia? Huh. I've seen some pretty esoteric stuff in there, so I wonder how rigorous the weeding is. Wouldn't be OK to just put a Melveen Leed entry in Wikipedia?

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                  So there's a "weeding-out" process in the general Wikipedia? Huh. I've seen some pretty esoteric stuff in there, so I wonder how rigorous the weeding is. Wouldn't be OK to just put a Melveen Leed entry in Wikipedia?
                  The weeding-out process is quite rigorous and there's a lot of intense discussion sometimes about whether or not an article should be removed. The sad truth is that some bozo can throw up whatever he wants with very little thought or energy paid it, but most of the time, removing it required a lot of time and energy. Still, I think that's probably the way it should be. Actually, Melveen Leed might actually make it there. Joe Moore almost certainly wouldn't.
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Interesting. This reminds me of the Usenet's RFC process for newsgroup creation. I'm guessing that's where it came from?

Comment

I created an entry for Shnazz since it fit in one of the already-listed projects and since the band's been mentioned here a couple of times. See, this is the kind of thing I'm talking about. A band like this should be written about somewhere, and Shnazz just wasn't notable enough anywhere outside Hawaii.

I tried to create a page just out of nothing, but I couldn't get the "create page" prompt without first adding Shnazz as a link in another article, then clicking on that red link. Is there another way to do this?

Other people I think would make good article subjects, besides musicians, politicians, and media personalities:
                      Ron Bright
                      Eddie Flores and Johnson Kam
                      John Jacques
                      Skippa Diaz
                      Cal Lee
                      Les Murakami
                      "Tally Ho" Blears
                      Last edited by scrivener; October 11, 2005, 12:48 AM. Reason: "Look at the way we gotta hide what we're doing . . ."
                      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                        I created an entry for Shnazz since it fit in one of the already-listed projects,,,,

Other people I think would make good article subjects, besides musicians, politicians, and media personalities:
                        Ron Bright
                        Eddie Flores and Johnson Kam
                        John Jacques
                        Skippa Diaz
                        Cal Lee
                        Les Murakami
                        "Tally Ho" Blears
                        This list of Hawaii only people could grow to be a very long one.

On the music side besides the obvious Hawaiian only musicians like Gabby, Bruddah Iz, Eddie Kamae, Brothers Cazimero and a whole list of lesser known ones, I think people iin Hawaii would also like to know about pther bands and music artists in the non-Hawaiian genres.

Liz Damon & the Orient Express (she had a Billboard top 40 hit with "1900 Yesterday" in 1970)
                        John Rowles
                        Dick Jensen
                        Hat Makes the Man and Poi Dog Pondering
                        The Sweet Marie
                        Blue Finn

TV and radio personalities would also be a natural (Joe Moore already mentioned).... From the past we have:

Bob Sevey
                        Tim Tindall
                        Bob Jones
                        Bob Basso

Checkers & Pogo
                        - remember there are 3 guys who played Mr. Checkers
                        Captain Honolulu
                        Kini Popo
                        Lucky Luck
                        Robin McMann

Hal Lewis aka Aku
                        Tom Moffatt
                        Ron Jacobs
                        Mike Hamlin
                        Ron King
                        Lou Richards
                        Steven B. Williams
                        Michael Qseng
                        Tom Dancer

gosh the list is endless....

Politicians alone will be enough to fill a book....

I am sure some of the people may have gotten a mention in the big Wiki that most people know of.

Yep, the dormant Hawaii Wiki would be a good thing to pick up on.... I have never written for a Wiki, so how does that happen?

A good place to start on some of these people and subjects is right here at HawaiiThreads. Several people have already shared a lot of memories about some of the personalities listed above. Somehow it would be a good idea to transfer some of the posts or at least the facts made here and put them in the Hawaii Wiki.
                        Last edited by mel; October 11, 2005, 02:34 AM.
                        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Ahh, SHNAZZ! There's a trip down memory lane.

I owned their album! Must've replayed "I Think We're Alone Now" so many times that the vinyl wore right through.

That synth-drum they used to make the heart beat part.. "The Beating of Our Hearts was the only sound.. dnnnn. dnnnn. dnnnn. dnnnn." was pretty cool and innovative at the time. The guitar riffs were clean too. The overall production of that album was EXCELLENT.

Another thing I thought was cool was the "Frankenstein Guitar" cover art. Here's a pic I found on the web:
                          Shnazz LP Album Cover Art

Also a Star Bulletin story about Vernon Sakata.
                          Last edited by Pomai; October 11, 2005, 01:28 PM. Reason: Added comments about the music
                          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Thought I'd bump this thread to remind everyone that the Hawaii wiki (now at HawaiiBase.com) is still chugging along. Over its quiet history, contributions come in only once every so often, but they're always interesting.

The 'Diamond Head Craters' page still draws a lot of interest, with little bits of trivia popping up here and there. The 'Hawaii Music Scene' section has been prepopulated with a lot of names (most added four years ago by a certain industrious user) just aching to be filled in. I personally hope scrivener (with your help, of course) adds to the 'Local Children's Games' page (noted here).

As explained above, the best part of a Hawaii wiki is that it can hold hundreds of entries that'd probably be deleted from Wikipedia for being not notable enough. (I had a Wikipedia page for about three days.) Heck, there should be a whole section on HawaiiThreads, its history, and its users. Er, or maybe not...

Have at it!

Comment

Working...
                            X