Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When do you put up your xmas decorations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When do you put up your xmas decorations?

Sears Pearlridge has a few xmas trees on sale, and they even got a huge Charlie Brown and Snoopy snow globe on display.

At my home, we dig out the tree and lights after the Thanksgiving dinner, so we're pretty late.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: When do you put up your xmas decorations?

We go out tree shopping two weeks before and then take it down a bit after New Year. It lasts pretty well with daily watering.

Comment

Hilo Hattie, the one upstairs across from Macy's at Ala Moana, has put up a Christmas tree already.

I'd really prefer they wait until after Halloween, at least.

When I had somewhere to decorate, I always waited until after Thanksgiving.

Comment

yea, nowadays that is considered late. But in da 60's and 70's we would NOT overlap holidays. considered tacky. So, after t-day, we would leisurely choose a christ mass tree, ram it into the water/torture device in the living room, screw in the probes into the trunk, ignore the screams of the slowly dying plant, cover the poor thing with long shreds of metal and colorful balls and stars and little figurines of mythical creatures and yardage of wires with incremental colored lights and various stationery with sappy sayings, force it to endure our off key warblings of timeworn cliche ridden pseudo holiday make merry winter songs, and watch the thing slowly shed to the general look of Paul Bunyan's toothpick, or go up in flames from some worn out xmas light wiring.
        No.... we were, I suppose in retrospect, not in much of a hurry to initiate this bizarre new ritual.

Doc/adrian may not have been born yet, when last we talked of it, but we covered the subject obliquely a while ago:

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=4187

Comment

This will be my first Christmas with my children all home. Not at War, in a different country or State. I'll be decorating starting December 1st like I did when my husband was alive. It will be Christmas once more at my home this year...especially for my grandson, Antonio. His 1st!

I haven't felt the Holiday Spirit in such a long, long time. First, I got to past out candies to the children and cook (2)Turkeys for Thanksgiving. Give thanks for what I have and more then decorate my hale with Angels, tinsels, snowflakes, etc.

Ahhhh...I love the Holidays. Let it begin!
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Good for you! Your post warmed my heart 1stwahine.

About the tinsel, I know it's wrong of me, but I really miss the old lead tinsel that you can't get anymore.

Comment

I put up my Christmas lights three years ago and haven't taken them down yet!!! (My wife HATES that!!! But they're wayyyyy up along the edge of our second floor roof, with no ledge to stand on. So there, they will STAY!)

I turn them on evenings after Thanksgiving!
              Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

We just have a small fake tree that sits on the VCR in the living room. We leave it up all year long and only turn the lights on in December. Mom decorated it and everything. We can't get real trees now because there's no room and the dogs will most certainly rip it apart or pee on it.
                myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

Originally posted by Lalalinder
                  We go out tree shopping two weeks before and then take it down a bit after New Year. It lasts pretty well with daily watering.
                  Same here! I've also already started my Christmas shopping at the start of this month!
                  Lovena

Comment

I don't have much room for Christmas decorating. What I do have is a 5 inch high fake ceramic tree that I can put one glowing light inside and instantly I get a small, token lighted Christmas. I also decorate my Macintosh by changing the desktop pictures to something appropriate to the season. Play some Christmas music through whatever songs I already have installed in my iTunes collection.

I have other Christmas decorations that I keep in a box including a larger fake tree, but I usually take that to our office and decorate there.... after Thanksgiving and sometimes well into the Christmas season.
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

We don't decorate outside anymore. Indoors we used to put up a 6-ft artificial tree downstairs, with satin balls and pearl garlands and white fairy lights. I teased my mother, calling it "the designer tree."

Upstairs is the real tree, bought from Habilitat for the past 20 years or so. I pick it up whenever they tell me it's ready, but we don't actually decorate it till the following weekend. We drag out the boxes of old ornaments (some as old as I am...for example, my baby rattles) and put the thing up in the playroom.

Photos here

Kimo, that was a really funny description.
                      http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Strictly after T-day (as Kimo calls it).

Being we don't have kids (yet), every payday is Christmas for us.
                        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

We pick up our tree the week after Thanksgiving. For the past few years we've been pre-ordering from Habilitat and getting some gorgeous noble firs, but I suspect they're overpriced. That weekend is for tree-trimming, and then the tree stays up till the week between Christmas and New Years Day. Then it goes to the curb for greenwaste.

Comment

I have a pair of mini-fake X-mas trees, along with a few more decorations, that I like to put up on Dec. 1, which for me is the official start of the X-mas season. With a small apt, there's simply not a lot of storage room for lots of Xmas stuff.

I have turning my thoughts lately to gifts, though...it's great to get that shopping done early during the post-Thanksgiving sales and pre-Thanksgiving Day sales or Halloween sales or whatever holiday excuse the stores use to justify big discounts...just gotta wear lots of padding and protection to brave the teeming hordes. The only thing that tends to drive me crazy--by the time Xmas rolls around, I wish I was deaf from all the continuous Xmas music in the stores.

Comment

This is a great thread.

Early on the Day After Thanksgiving, I get dressed all incognito--shoes, jeans, shirt inside out, hair braided back. Money and liscense in my bra. Like I am gonna beef. From 6am, I am in the mall, avoiding eye contact with everyone, hunting bargains like a Terminator. When I get home, husband and kids no that it is BAD LUCK to *even try* look in my bags...lest da stuff get taken to the homeless shelter instead!

Then we have lunch.

Then we haul out that pokey-carcinogenic thang called the Fake Christmas Tree and set da buggah up.

And that night, the kids camp out in the parlor, falling asleep to the soft twinkle of the colored lights on the tree.

pax

Comment

Working...
                              X