What's the worst smell you've smelt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the worst smell you've smelt?

Me, my dad, and brother were called to one of our houses in Ewa Beach because of a bathroom problem. When we arrived, the tenants were leaving and said that the toilet backed up and it flooded the bathroom and leaked into the hallway. When we entered the house, it was apparent that it'll be a large spill to clean up, but as we approached the bathroom, there was feces coming from the toilet, and some was on the floor and flowing towards the door. The water didn't help in covering the smell, but we had to control the situation. I almost upchucked a few times because of the smell.

So, what's the worst smell you've smelt?
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: What's the worst smell you've smelt?

A skunk fart!
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Wastewater treatment plant/ animal barns (tie).

Comment

A full refrigerator in an abandoned apartment... more than a week after the power got cut off.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
          A skunk fart!
          Isn't that redundant?! (lift tail...phhhhhht)

Altho' it's a fairly recent condition (since mid March), I have no sense of smell or taste. Sometimes the lack of smell is a blessing. Sometimes it's a curse (dangerous). Too bad this condition didn't happen prior to a kid upchucking all over my office during a casting session! That woulda been a blessing! Other than that...a dead, decaying rat caught in the wall of one's home is a putrid odor. Eewwwwwwwwwww...

Comment

Imagine what it was like in N.O. post-Katrina a week after.

Worst for me had to have been the smell of our $50.00 cut of Prime Rib burning in the oven. Not a "stink" smell. Rather one of those, "I just lost a ton of money on this" smell. Ended up fed to the dogs.

I'd rather burn a $50 bill than a good cut of prime rib!
            Last edited by Pomai; October 15, 2005, 08:27 PM. Reason: money may grows on trees, but not in the oven
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

"smelt" a smell?
              You mean you can fuse or melt to separate metal... with a smell?
              whaaaat daaa...

Comment

Well...you asked, so I'll answer...

a gangrenous non-healing ulcer on a person's foot prior to its removal (the foot's removal, I mean)

Comment

Being a farmer, I've smelled my share of some really putrid odors, most of them emulating from decomposing organic matter. For the most part, I've inured myself to the smells..they come with the territory of being a farmer.

I'd have to say the absolute worst odors I've experienced are the ones that originate from hog farms. Man, those places can be downright nasty and foul-smelling to the point of nausea. There was a hog farm/processing plant I visited once in central Illinois that was so offensive to my olfactory senses, that in order not to vomit from the smells, I had to "smoke" cigarettes and "enjoy" their scents...the cigarette smoke effectively (and thankfully) inhibited my ability to smell the hog plant odors. I'm not a smoker, but boy, when I was on that tour of the farm, those Marlboros I smoked smelled like Chanel No. 5 perfume compared to the hog farm smells.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                    "smelt" a smell?...
                    Ah yes, the smell of smelts rotting on a beach a few days after they commit the piscene equivalent of suicide...yes, that's pretty putrid.

Miulang
                    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Worst smells I enountered in my life:
                      • Backed-up toilet
                      • Raw Sewage
                      • Forgotten food in my fridge

Speaking of the latter... yes, I often store food in my fridge, forget about them and later have to take them out after they have rotted out fairly well to deal with disposal and cleaning of the container. Yuck! A few times I could not stand it and disposed of the food and container all at once. Easier to buy a new $1 container at Daiei!

On a recent Inside Edition program they had a feature on all of the abandoned refrigerators in this huge field that were collected from homes effected by the New Orleans hurricane. All of the hardware will be smashed and possibly recycled. Before that happens, all of the now putrid food stuffs contained in these thousands of refrigerators will have to be removed. That will probably have to be one of the worst jobs for anyone to do.

Check out this link: A putrid task: emptying New Orleans fridges
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                        Worst smells I enountered in my life:
                        • Backed-up toilet
                        • Raw Sewage
                        • Forgotten food in my fridge

Speaking of the latter... yes, I often store food in my fridge, forget about them and later have to take them out after they have rotted out fairly well to deal with disposal and cleaning of the container. Yuck! A few times I could not stand it and disposed of the food and container all at once. Easier to buy a new $1 container at Daiei!

On a recent Inside Edition program they had a feature on all of the abandoned refrigerators in this huge field that were collected from homes effected by the New Orleans hurricane. All of the hardware will be smashed and possibly recycled. Before that happens, all of the now putrid food stuffs contained in these thousands of refrigerators will have to be removed. That will probably have to be one of the worst jobs for anyone to do.

Check out this link: A putrid task: emptying New Orleans fridges
                        That'll certainly be a job worthy of a gas mask!
                        Mel, do you use the Zip Lock or Glad containers? I think they come in packages of 4 and come out to less than $1. each...way less, iirc. They're marketed to be disposable but they can take a lickin' and keep on tickin'. Oops, wrong product! Then there's the 99 Cent store variety...25 cents per container! I wash 'em just 'cuz I don't like being wasteful but, like you, when I've forgotten something in the back of the fridge (which I can't smell!), the whole thing, container and all, goes in the dumpster. Or, when I take food to a picnic or a pot luck it's so much easier not to have to drag dirty containers home. Hmmm...this is probably a topic for another thread! Sorry for wandering!

Comment

Originally posted by Surfingfarmboy

I'd have to say the absolute worst odors I've experienced are the ones that originate from hog farms.
                          Reading that just prompted a putrid olfactory memory of my own that triggered my gag reflex.

Years ago, I rode with some friends in the back of a pickup truck out to a Waianae pig farm to pick up a 300 lb. pig that we were going to kalua later that day. The area at the piggery where we parked the truck was located right next to a very large, open evaporative holding pond that accumulated all of the sludge and liquid runoff that flowed in from the workers cleaning and hosing down all of the manure from the many pig pens. The foulest rank and putrid odor I ever smelled hit me in the face like a ton of bricks. I wanted to gag and throw up so bad, but I somehow managed to keep my best "tantaran no boddah me" face on while my friend paid for the pig and had it hog-tied and loaded onto the back of the truck where me and a couple of other guys would also be sitting. I don't think anyone noticed the tears in my eyes as we drove out of the piggery.

Pigs are very intelligent, and this bumbucha pig knew exactly what he was in for and made no bones about displaying his displeasure about it either, thrashing all around and loudly squealing on the back of the truck the entire trip back. Just as we were leaving the leeward area and heading back to Kahalu'u, the pig also apparently reasoned, "Oh what the heck, these guys are already having me for dinner, so I might as well add some more sh*t to the back of this pickup truck!!!" which he ever so generously did.

Comment

One legged chickens....the next day.

Comment

Two eye burners.....

Skunks (we get a lot of em up here in the summer time) and Valerian!
                              Lovena

Comment

Working...
                              X