Aloha Shirts For Dummies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aloha Shirts For Dummies

Where do you prefer to buy aloha shirts? Silk, rayon, cotton are all OK with me. Until recently the only two I owned I got back in Colorado. However, I picked up a few nice shirts at Ross for $10-$17 recently. Everywhere else I've looked is either too expensive (Macy's, Hattie's, airport) or the shirts are too boring/ugly (WalMart, Hattie's). That's all we got in Hilo.
    Last edited by beaker; November 12, 2005, 08:29 PM.

Re: Aloha Shirts For Dummies

Originally posted by beaker
    Where do you prefer to buy aloha shirts? Silk, rayon, cotton are all OK with me. Until recently the only two I owned I got back in Colorado. However, I picked up a few nice shirts at Ross for $10-$17 recently. Everywhere else I've looked is either too expensive (Macy's, Hattie's) or to the shirts are too boring/ugly (WalMart, Hattie's). That's all we got in Hilo.
    MUUMUU FACTORY 1423 Kapiolani Blvd. Honolulu, HI 96814 Phone: (808) 941-4183 Fax: (808) 356-0230 E-mail: sales@muumuufactory.com info@muumuufactory.com tony@muumuufactory.com

They sell Aloha shirts too. Also, do a search on Aloha Shirts, uka pila listings!

Auntie Lynn
    Last edited by 1stwahine; November 12, 2005, 08:31 PM.
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Yeah, this one's nice. I already searched on the internet, and didn't find much I liked.

Comment

Look on eBay. Lots of nice, gently worn Aloha shirts (some vintage) always up for auction.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
          Look on eBay. Lots of nice, gently worn Aloha shirts (some vintage) always up for auction.
          Mmmm..don't want other people's pit stains. Besides, I like to fondle before buying.
          Hmm, well, maybe I'll look around there anyway.
          Last edited by beaker; November 12, 2005, 09:24 PM.

Comment

My first choice is Bailey's Antiques. I love the vintage shirts. Those hanging from the ceiling are the best...and the priciest. Think 4 figures for some of 'em! None of those are hanging in my closet!

I've not checked Ross' for men's shirts but I do buy my grandsons' aloha shirts there. Some great deals on the rayon shirts (my fave 'cuz they hang so nicely)...$7-$10 range.

You might also check Costco.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
              Eeek, that's way over in Kona. Haven't been that way in almost a year. Too much like so-cal over there - gives me the heebie-jeebies.
              Last edited by beaker; November 12, 2005, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Plaid?!?!?! Ouch, that's painful!

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                  Wow, there are a ton of them on there. I guess there'll be some winners, with that many to choose from.

I love blue: What you think, is this shirt OK, or "do NOT go there!"?

Last edited by beaker; November 13, 2005, 01:17 AM.

Comment

I actually like Hilo Hattie. They're not the cheapest, but they've got a wide selection, change them often and the cotton and rayon shirts are mostly made in Hawaii. They sometimes have sidewalk sales, too.

Comment

Originally posted by beaker
                      Plaid?!?!?! Ouch, that's painful!
                      Well, it's a little painful with the flowers on it, true. But if you're not familiar with palaka (plaid) shirts and their role in Hawai`i's history, I'd recommend some research. (I'd give you some now but am in a hurry to head out the door. Sorry.)

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

beaker, As Likanui pointed out, there is a history to the beautifu Palaka Shirt!

To get you started I found this:

http://www.alohafunwear.com/funfacts.shtml " The Ever Popular Palaka"

It's History ~ is quite more than this though.

Auntie Lynn
                        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                          [...] http://www.alohafunwear.com/funfacts.shtml " The Ever Popular Palaka"

It's History ~ is quite more than this though.
                          Palaka was also the signature print of the old Arakawa's store in Waipahu. Lots and lots of palaka print shirts in different colors, altho' blue is the traditional color. Even their plastic bags had the palaka print! I associate palaka with Hawaii just as much as the old, vintage aloha shirts. I wonder who decided to add floral designs to palaka. At the risk of offending someone who owns one those shirts are akin to the shiny, gaudy aloha shirts found at places like the ABC stores...aimed at tourist consumption!

Thanks for the url, Auntie.

Comment

I've not checked Ross' for men's shirts but I do buy my grandsons' aloha shirts there. Some great deals on the rayon shirts (my fave 'cuz they hang so nicely)...$7-$10 range.

I second Ross'. Great selection at 1/4 to 1/2 less than you'd pay at Hilo Hattie or Macy's. Most of my work shirts (aloha print variety) come from there. Great quality too. Some may have a crooked stitch here and there, but minah! Who going notice with all that print art on it.

Costco has nice stuff for under $20 each. I like their Jamaica Jaxx line.

Or, if no shame, go check out the thrift stores like Salvation Army and Goodwill. Choke Aloha Shirts. Many look like they've hardly been used. For about $5 each, you can't go wrong! I've picked up a few Mamo Howell shirts from there.
                            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Some great deals on the rayon shirts (my fave 'cuz they hang so nicely)
                              Ack, I just read that rayon can be attacked by termites, in addition to silverfish!? As if I wasn't already having enough trouble with mold growing on a couple of my coats and many of my books, and I'm worried about my $$$ silk and wool shirts, suits and ties. (and rust growing on my car )

Comment

Working...
                              X