Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kukui Gardens to be sold 2500 Tenants to be evicted!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kukui Gardens to be sold 2500 Tenants to be evicted!

sounds like califorlornia.

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
      Interesting point in Leila's article: Many of the tenants are immigrants.

Come to America and demand low-cost housing!
      What does that have to do with anything? The fact is, they are in Honolulu and they need housing; with their limited knowledge of the language and working skills, if they can find jobs, it's the ones almost no one else would want anyway (but which are still essential) and every day it's a choice between food and keeping a roof over their heads. We didn't lock the front doors to Hawai'i securely enough to keep "them" from moving to Hawai'i and the US.

Miulang
      Last edited by Miulang; March 23, 2006, 09:41 AM.
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

da menehune didn't lock da doors to keep out da immigrants from tahiti from entering...
        and the Hawaiians didn't lock the front door to keep... and den...

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
          da menehune didn't lock da doors to keep out da immigrants from tahiti from entering...
          and the Hawaiians didn't lock the front door to keep...
          you from entering either!

Let's play!

Auntie Lynn
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

azzrite! now, jes ask my kupuna if they want me to leave.

Comment

azzrite! now, jes ask my kupuna if they want me to leave.
              I heard that there was a petition going around...

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                What does that have to do with anything?
                It's an observation.

People demand that no one builds new housing, and they complain every time a new high-rise condo goes up, while also complaining that there's not enough affordable housing to go around and petitioning landlords to demand that they operate at a loss. Yes, we've gone over that. Sorry to be redundant.

People are here (duh), and they need places to live (duh again). Kukui Gardens isn't the problem. The problem is people keep coming here, people keep having kids here and then many of those same people (or their offspring) demand "affordable" (whatever that means) housing without understand the basic principles of economics and demographics.

And, of course, they're fighting the hypocrisy of those whose grandparents immigrated here, and who now demand that now that they have theirs, NOBODY should come here, or build here, because "what about the aina? and the keiki?"

The hypocrisy of it aggravates me.

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
                  Interesting point in Leila's article: Many of the tenants are immigrants.

Come to America and demand low-cost housing!
                  it said elderly and immigrant. i know some of them and they lived in hawaii when it was only a territory.

even if they weren't long-time residents, i don't see a problem petitioning. the project that was built as low-income housing.

being an immigrant doesn't make you less important. whether the petition is a good or bad idea, they have a right to do it.

i'm not an immigrant in case if you were wondering.

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
                    I heard that there was a petition going around...
                    believe half of whatcha hear and none of what ya see.

Comment

believe half of whatcha hear and none of what ya see.
                      Oh, my! there was almost a million signitures the last I saw the it! Hmm..we better get back on topic.

Kukui Gardens. Eh, Kimo das where you use to live way back when yeah? Wat's your feeling on the matter? You got good memories.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

uh. where dat?! Kukui wot? i tink dass when i wen grow and smoke da kine... so whatchu axing fo?!
                        Whachoo say about my mammaries?

Comment

uh. where dat?! Kukui wot? i tink dass when i wen grow and smoke da kine... so whatchu axing fo?!
                          Whachoo say about my mammaries?
                          Dis is the thread of tenants being evicted from there. Despite the vast differences of nationalities now living there as residents it doesn't matter. Having lived there what are your thoughts on it? The units are still well kept and near to everything. However, like everything else Progress overtakes all.

The land in which Kukui Gardens occupies can be better used for more dwellings which can house more renters and other bussinesses. That is Reality.

Your thoughts?

Lynn

Comment

The residents of Kukui Gardens' first instincts about the possibility of being tossed out on their okoles when the building was sold to developers have now been confirmed by a sales brochure produced last year that depicted the new development as being comprised of upscale condos.

Even though the current owners say they have backed off from selling the property to developers who will convert the area into luxury condos, I don't believe them. I think the State needs to use its powers of eminent domain to guarantee that Kukui Gardens will remain affordable housing.

Miulang
                            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I dunno if a leopard can change its spots, but according to this article, if one looks at the past track record of the Mainland developer who was selected as the next owner of Kukui Gardens, it does not bode well for the tenants of Kukui Gardens after 2011.

Now is the time for all the voters of Oahu who believe that affordable housing is one of the most important issues for the Legislature to solve, to write, phone, do whatever it takes to persuade the Legislature to use its powers of eminent domain to prevent the new owners from doing what they've done with other housing projects they've taken over.

Miulang
                              Last edited by Miulang; April 15, 2006, 09:23 AM.

Comment

The State Legislature is one step closer to invoking its power to claim eminent domain over Kukui Gardens to keep that development affordable for tenants beyond 2011.

"...The measure was approved yesterday by House and Senate conferees, and it also calls for the state to partner with an affordable housing developer to retain most of the project's 857 apartments for low- and moderate-income tenants...."

Wonder if that means the State is planning to work with the Carmel Partners, the bidder chosen by the former owners, or with another nonprofit agency to redevelop the property?

Miulang

Comment

Working...
                                X