No announcement yet.

Brrr... Chilly Hawaii Winter Weather!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Brrr... Chilly Hawaii Winter Weather!

Yesterday was cold enough to make my mom bundle up and she's always teasing me for being cold at, like 72 degrees. My history teacher likes to make her room really cool while she teaches and by the end of the class, everyone is shivering like crazy. But when we left the classroom and got outside to warm up yesterday, it felt just like walking into another A/C class room. Had to break out the sweat pants and socks last night and curled up under my blanket like a little ball. I made a few of our dogs sleep in my bed for extra warmth, too.
    myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

Da wife sleeps in another room, now, with 3 dogs. Really. She's from Guam.

She can't sleep with me cause I use the AC all the time. Dropped off some birthday cupcakes this morning for my daughters class. Had on shorts and t-shirt at 7 am in Mililani. Everyone wearing jackets and sweaters. Rainy, windy and I'm guessing it was cold.

Glen, don't know if I remember correctly. Ward Warehouse, Things Hawaiian or Hawaiian Things or something like that. Downstairs from the Spaghetti Factory. Also got that footwear place downstairs just Diamond head of the multi level parking lot. If Arakawa's was still open, I'd tell you go look over there. Marukai might have them. Just can't remember straight. Sorry. Other than that, gotta wait till craftsfair season.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye
        Glen, don't know if I remember correctly. Ward Warehouse, Things Hawaiian or Hawaiian Things or something like that. Downstairs from the Spaghetti Factory. Also got that footwear place downstairs just Diamond head of the multi level parking lot. If Arakawa's was still open, I'd tell you go look over there. Marukai might have them. Just can't remember straight. Sorry. Other than that, gotta wait till craftsfair season.
        Thanks, I'll take a look. In fact I was over at Thongs & Things at Ward Warehouse the other day and I looked, but they only had outside slippers; no house slippers. I didn't think of looking in Na Mea Hawai'i, I'll look there next time too. I wonder if The Slipper House in Ala Moana might have?

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
          How cold does it have to get before you can see your breath? It happens only a few days a year down here in warm, paved-over Honolulu. I haven't seen it yet this winter.
          I think it happens around the 50's.

Comment

I love Cold Weather. This is too Cold foa me. I hope it warms up soon cause MAMA'S snoring and stealing my blanket is making me freeze my okole!

Happy Valentines Day 2006 Everybody!

Auntie Lynn
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
              How cold does it have to get before you can see your breath? It happens only a few days a year down here in warm, paved-over Honolulu. I haven't seen it yet this winter.
              Good point. I remember marveling at it while walking downtown a couple of years back. Though I think humidity and other factors besides temperature are pretty significant in creating this phenomenon, too.

In fact, in this "cold spell," I've noticed it's frequently felt a lot cooler than the temperatures reported. I don't think it's wind chill, but there's obviously a combination of things going on. The weather guy might say 68, but it feels like 58!

Comment

Cold weather for hawaii means even colder weather for us on the west coast. We just had a weekend of sun and warmth but it was cut short with another winter/snow storm. 1 inch on the VALLEY floor...thats like seeing ice in iao valley! But i feel bad for u guys at home cuz at least we have heaters, insulation and our winter wardrobe. My apartment is always at a warm 65-70 degrees. Poor thing for my folks though cuz we got window's that stay cracked open 24/7

Don't have to sport the slippers with socks cuz we got boots!....but then again...went out last night and braved it with open toe sandals....it was at least in the mid-high 30's.

Comment

Here's my t-eory:

Da ting is, most of our older homes here in Hawaii are single-wall construction and even the newer ones have little if any insulation like mainland homes. So, when the mercury dips below 65, we all start shivering.

Plus, too, us kamaina's bodies are accustomed to little variation in temperature, and we're pretty well-adapted to that muggy, sticky heat that we get every August/September because many homes here don't have AC, and we just have to bear it.

Das why we're freezing, and meanwhile everyone in subzero Washington State, Minnesota, New York, and Alaska thinks we're a little "off" when we buss out the parka and gloves at 60F. But they have heaters and fireplaces! We no get, but, except maybe like upcountry Maui, Kokee, and Waimea Big Island.
                  Last edited by wala'au haole; February 14, 2006, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wala'au haole

But they have heaters and fireplaces! We no get, but, except maybe like upcountry Maui, Kokee, and Waimea Big Island.
                    This might be a little-known fact, but get planny homes up Wahiawa heights dat get fireplaces and chimineys too.

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
                      This might be a little-known fact, but get planny homes up Wahiawa heights dat get fireplaces and chimineys too.
                      There are some in Manoa, too. My high school classmates live at the 4000' level in the Koloko area on the Big Island. Fireplace, forced air heating, the whole shebang! Great sleeping weather almost all of the time!

Comment

Working...
                      X