Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brrr... Chilly Hawaii Winter Weather!

Think it's cold? You might be local
    Wool caps, sweaters, sweatshirts and jackets came out of the closet yesterday. A cold front hitting the West Coast? Not at all. It was chilly in Hawaii, the one time when it's easy to tell the locals from the tourists. The temperature dropped to 62 degrees at Honolulu Airport early yesterday morning.
    While people in snowy climes are no doubt shaking their heads in disgust, the weather here in our sub-tropical paradise has been extraordinarily cool lately. Kauai reported a temp of 49 a couple of nights ago. Definitely low-50s in some other locales -- "freezing" by island standards. Now we're padding around at home in socks and have had to pull out blankets and sweaters we haven't needed for a while.

How cold has the weather been for you?

Re: Brrr... Chilly Hawaii Winter Weather!

You sure we're in Hawaii?

I want to walk around w/out a shirt at the beach, not bundled up.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

The band "Three Dog Night" got its name from a description of a night so cold you needed three dogs to huddle with. I'm up to four blankets ('course, if I closed my windows I could probably get by with fewer).

Jeans, sweaters, sweatshirts; I've drug out all of 'em.
      http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Well the snow's disappearing from Mauna Kea so the temperature is slowly going up but lately it's been as if God turned up the AC all over Hilo these past few days with the winds coming off the snow ladened summit.

But enjoy the cool weather because it's more fun to keep warm than it is to keep cool.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Brrr. I was walking around the house last night in socks and palaka-print house slippers. Those old things have seen better days, and I don't remember where I bought 'em, it was so long ago. Does anybody know where I can get local-style cloth house slippers these days?

Comment

My daughter who is visiting from SoCal didn't anticipate the cold weather (who does?!) and is running around in shorts and tank tops. I'd lend her a sweater or jacket but I don't have any!!! We had dinner at the Bali the other night (ocean front table, open air) and had to ask for house jackets! The A/C in the car is turned off...the office, too. No need to turn on the ceiling fans at home. It sure is great sleeping weather, tho'. For that, alone, I hope the cool temps stay for awhile. My daughter doesn't. She wants hot beach weather!

Comment

It's a balmy 40 degrees over here where I am, so I won't laugh...

...too much.

Comment

It's Armageddon for Hawaii!
                “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

It's 45 right now, cold to me. It's so unreal cause, we just got a winter storm warning and I'm suppose to come home Monday.

WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM 9 PM EST THIS EVENING THROUGH LATE SATURDAY NIGHT

Warning Issue Date: 341 PM EST FRI FEB 10 2006
                  Warning Expiration: 1145 PM EST FRI FEB 10 2006
                  ...Heavy snow warning in effect from 9 pm this evening to 6 am est Sunday...

The national weather service in blacksburg has issued a heavy snow warning...Which is in effect from 9 pm this evening to 6 am est Sunday. The winter storm watch has been upgraded.

Snow will over spread the area from southwest to northeast after midnight. The precipitation May briefly start as rain...But will be all snow by early Saturday morning. Snow will continue through the day Saturday and taper off by early Sunday morning.

Total snow accumulations will range from 4 to 7 inches.

A heavy snow warning means severe winter weather conditions are imminent or occurring. Significant amounts of snow are forecast that will make travel dangerous.

Make sure you have an adequate supply of food. Check prescriptions to ensure an adequate supply of medicine through the duration of the storm. Check furnaces and fuel levels...And if travel is necessary...Make sure your car is winterized and in good working order.

This is our first snow fall this winter. We had an ice storm in October.
                  Faith, the evidence of things not seen, but things that are hopeful.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                    But enjoy the cool weather because it's more fun to keep warm than it is to keep cool.
                    My thoughts exactly!

For those locals freezing their okole off (or elemu, rather), is your shivering compounded by air conditioning? In large buildings or facilities with sensitive equipment, a cold day outside means an especially cold day inside. I'm sure the servers and routers are feeling great, but I can barely feel my fingertips.

Comment

Well, I'm into my annual layered look. Two tee shirts, with a heavy cotton longsleeve shirt over it, plus thick cotton corduroy trousers. Just don't have the stamina of the young who continue to walk around in one tee shirt and shorts.

Bring on the Equinox!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                        My thoughts exactly!

For those locals freezing their okole off (or elemu, rather), is your shivering compounded by air conditioning? In large buildings or facilities with sensitive equipment, a cold day outside means an especially cold day inside. I'm sure the servers and routers are feeling great, but I can barely feel my fingertips.
                        Either I was born with thin blood or it's gotten that way after living here for 27 years, because my hands are blocks of ice, and there's not an a/c unit in sight.
                        http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
                          It's a balmy 40 degrees over here where I am, so I won't laugh...
                          Heheh. Perfect t-shirt and slippah weather, yeah? That's how I spock da expat locals over here on this side of the mountains: the weather might be 40 degrees and overcast, but the locals going be the ones wearing the surfer jams and slippahs and Polarfleece shirts!

Miulang
                          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

The temperature got down to 55 degrees the other night at my place which is at the 1,000 ft level near Pāhoa. Unfortunately, when I got out of bed to turn on the heater, it took me about five minutes to remember that the house didn't have a heater.
                            Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

How cold does it have to get before you can see your breath? It happens only a few days a year down here in warm, paved-over Honolulu. I haven't seen it yet this winter.

Comment

Working...
                              X