X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mormons-

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
    Don't forget to play gothic music before you answer the door. And when you do greet them tell them, "Quick come inside, we've been expecting you" then reach for their hand and mumble, "God have mercy on their soles".
    If I say that, shouldn't I reach for their feet?

Comment

LOL some really funny replies here! Aww shucks, y'all, these Mormon, young adult boys aren't the annoying ones. Those Jehovah's Witnesses are the worst! Say one sentence and they may try to argue with you. Some of them in South Texas tried to get the padlock to open on my sister's large, country gate that was at the end of a longgg drive up to her house which sits on five acres of fully fenced land! She said she stood on her property, staring in disbelief at them, and chuckling when the ladies, bibles and pamphlets in arms, realized the lock wasn't going to budge! GOOD GRIEF...
      Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Originally posted by Karen
        LOL some really funny replies here! Aww shucks, y'all, these Mormon, young adult boys aren't the annoying ones.
        wanna bet?

Those Jehovah's Witnesses are the worst!
        well, everything being relative, sure!

Say one sentence and they may try to argue with you.
        oh, yea. that's a great way to dissuade someone from the religion they are happy with to join a particularly peculiar morose cult.

Some of them in South Texas tried to get the padlock to open on my sister's large, country gate
        Breaking and entering: hey. an even better strategy to convert people!

I'm at the swap meet now and then; among all da regular swapmeeters with their collectables and garage sale stuff, right in the middle of all this, is the big garish yellow Scientology tent.
        They stand there as you pass by and THROW at you, the most bizzarre, insincere strange greeting. : "hel-LOOO there! HOW are YOUUUU!"
        or "HuuuuuEEEEE!"
        with this forced openmouth teethclench dentistchair smile and big wide open eyes...

(uuuuuuh, yer not gonna try ta hypnotize me are ya lady!?)

sheesh! I see people jump back in terror.
        First time, I reacted instinctively with :"daa hell was THAT!?

Ohh.. a cultperson! Uuuugh. Goway!"

yes. (headshaking incredulity) Just don't know how these people expect to draw intelligent numbers of the masses into their flock. (there's a contradiction in terms, eh?!)

I suppose they don't want the intelligentcia. Just the masses.

What's that old saw:
        religion is the opiate of the masses,
        TV it the opiate of the asses.
        Last edited by kimo55; August 15, 2004, 01:10 PM. Reason: cuz iyum dumb

Comment

These people don't understand the bible...
          You mean like you do?

or another way I can respond:

ok, which Bible?!
          Within the religion of Christianity, there are many. Most of this persuasion adhere to the King james version ( and even that one has many different translations)
          so, when someone says you don't understand the bible, one must realise, there are many bibles extant thru the ages, and as many levels of interpretation of the "bible"(s)

They should know that they are wasting their own time when they bother people at their doors, because their message is not going to be fruitful if the hearer is not in a receptive mood. .

What they know is of no consequence, since what Christians "believe" and what they are told to think and to do by leaders, earthbound and otherwise, supercedes what they "know" .
          Besides, they may experience the truism firsthand or anecdotally:
          in sales, it's all a numbers game. See one hundred prospects and if they all say no, but the 101st sez yes, yer time's not wasted. especially when they work free for the church!
          Last edited by kimo55; August 15, 2004, 01:12 PM. Reason: Why!? boddah you!?

Comment

Exactly, LOL...they don't all understand the bible LIKE I DO. You're pretty sharp!

Which bible? I have several in my home, the Aramaic to Modern English being my fav. Oh, they all do gather dust, for I don't imbibe bible, nor parrot it for my ego, but I do occasionally READ the thing, er...things.
            I see errors that 'ole King James' people sorta messed up on, and enjoy the translation from the ancient Peshitta.

Bible needn't be depended upon for all of one's life. It is a roadmap, not an iron-rule of law, and once we know our way, we put away the map, don't we?!

Yep!~

Originally posted by kimo55
            You mean like you do?

or another way I can respond:

ok, which Bible?!
            Within the religion of Christianity, there are many. Most of this persuasion adhere to the King james version ( and even that one has many different translations)
            so, when someone says you don't understand the bible, one must realise, there are many bibles extant thru the ages, and as many levels of interpretation of the "bible"(s)

What they know is of no consequence, since what Christians "believe" and what they are told to think and to do by leaders, earthbound and otherwise, supercedes what they "know" .
            Besides, they may experience the truism firsthand or anecdotally:
            in sales, it's all a numbers game. See one hundred prospects and if they all say no, but the 101st sez yes, yer time's not wasted. especially when they work free for the church!

Comment

Hi Kimo!

"LOL some really funny replies here! Aww shucks, y'all, these Mormon, young adult boys aren't the annoying ones.

wanna bet?"

Sure, we can wager, but I dunno how we prove who wins. I have found these young adult boys to be polite every time, never seeming creepy, rude nor pushy. They even ask if they can help in any way, but leave the moment I say I am busy and no thanks, not only to help, but any discussion of religion. I even gave them printed material from my favorite "Unpreacher" from www.fhu.com, suggesting they read it and learn. (G)

Comment

Sure, we can wager, but I dunno how we prove who wins. I have found these young adult boys to be polite every time, never seeming creepy, rude nor pushy. They even ask if they can help in any way,

uh oooh. how exactly do you think they want to help, hummmmm?!

Comment

For those who replied between July 25 to Aug. 15 &/or thereafter, & I have neglected to say thank you, I apologize. I thank you very much for replying back to this/my thread.
                  F.Y.I. to all,.......

Someone knocked at 10 a.m. this morning while I as asleep,
                  I actually woke up to early this moring,
                  & had decided to go back to sleep, & try to wake up later.
                  I wasn't sure which religion it was, either the mormons or the jahova's witneses, I think it was the mormons, because they were holding those magazine flyers. So they woke me up, ended being grouchy, I had the guts to tell them "No Thank you", closed the door, then later replied back to them with "btw- on your next congregation, please tell them to pass us by, because we are never interested, & we go to a different religion & I am tired of saying no thank you". I was telling them that when they were bugging my next door neighbor. I so wanted to add asult to injury, & make a 3rd comback to them & say, "how would you feel if I knocked on your door & shoved a religion down your throat, how would you feel then?!., then I thought to myself, NAH., that's ok already, maybe next time, I can have another tacktics to say to them if or when they do comeback.
                  Last edited by Serenity; November 27, 2004, 11:26 AM.
                  Aches & Pains
                  (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

"I joined cuz I thought it was called; "More Men", but shoulda been warned when a leader was named: "Bring 'Em Young"!

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/24/bo...564c2f&ei=5070

Comment

Something I've wondered for a while now about those fresh young boys traveling around in pairs on their bikes with their white shirts and ties. On the nametags that they wear, they have the title "Elder". Elder Tom, Elder John, etc. Elder?! They can't be more than 20 years old; why are they called Elders?

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                        Something I've wondered for a while now about those fresh young boys traveling around in pairs on their bikes with their white shirts and ties. On the nametags that they wear, they have the title "Elder". Elder Tom, Elder John, etc. Elder?! They can't be more than 20 years old; why are they called Elders?

hohaaa! good point.

I tink elder doesn't mean they are the eldest of the congregation, It's a title not related to age....
                        back when they attempted to inflict the worker bee status on me back when i was in the kailua and then Lanakila ward, the term elder was... well, I suppose, name for one of the many worker bees. It is a title signifying a member of the higher order of priesthood.

Comment

I like to ask them about their holy underwear.
                          I am Jack's absent signature.

Comment

Being Morman myself here a funny one... I told a Jehovah at my door "I'm a Morman" and handed them a Book of Morman. They never came to my home in 5 years.
                            Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                            Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear
                              Being Morman myself here a funny one... I told a Jehovah at my door "I'm a Morman" and handed them a Book of Morman. They never came to my home in 5 years.

took them 5 years to read da thing?!

Comment

Ha! I just had this vision of a West Side Story style street fight between Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses.

When you're a Saint
                                You're a Saint all the way
                                You don't touch cigarettes
                                You don't drink, oh no way.

When you're a Saint
                                If the spit hits the fan,
                                You got brothers around,
                                You're a family man!

Comment

Working...
                                X