The corporate honi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PBN: the corporate honi

I get them all the time, most often by parents of students, usually at the beginning or end of the year. Sometimes I get them from visiting alumni. Once in a LOOOOOOONG while, from colleagues, but only at super-special occasions, such as the end of the school year or maybe the Christmas party.

I can live with it if it's reserved for special occasions. I try to receive it in the spirit it's intended; when it's a parent, I know what the parent is really saying is that she appreciates what I've done for her kid, and there aren't a lot of ways to express the depths of emotion and gratitude these parents feel for me sometimes (I teach students who have experienced failure after failure, so graduation is a huge deal). I don't complain.

But let me ask you something. If it's completely nonsexual, why don't men do it to men? "Don't even be telling me 'bout no foot massage. I am the foot f-ing MASTA."
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Re: The corporate honi

I am not a touchy feely guy and prefer to keep a hands off policy with nearly everyone. A hands off policy keeps people away from possible legal liabilities.

BTW, this thread has been moved out of the "Print Media" section since it has nothing to do with "media" except the fact that the story was published a few months ago in a local publication.
      Last edited by mel; November 10, 2006, 08:45 PM. Reason: topic move, title change edit
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

LMBAO...Ed Kubo gives honis?
        Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
          But let me ask you something. If it's completely nonsexual, why don't men do it to men?
          Mitch, I've been struggling to resist giving you a peck on the cheek for years!

Just kidding. Seriously, this is a good point. The fact that a woman is basically a required element for a "corporate honi" is a good argument against such a thing.

Look. Affection and honi and all that makes sense in a lot of situations. I can see it between parents and teachers (as there's certainly a higher bond there), or nurses and patients and their families, or other circumstances where you're doing more than trading financial statements and business cards. But I can't see asserting that it should be encouraged or made as standard a part of corporate greetings as a handshake.

If it is special, treat it as such. I like our internal auditors, but I'm not giving that guy a smooch.

Comment

I am not commenting on smooching, but on the honi, which I have seen men do to each other. Usually though it involves kupuna. My own husband embraces old men in this manner; Hawaiian, Japanese, Haole, all in a similar fashion, but the male version is more like a gentle cranial knocking than a cheek press.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
              I am not commenting on smooching, but on the honi, which I have seen men do to each other. Usually though it involves kupuna. My own husband embraces old men in this manner; Hawaiian, Japanese, Haole, all in a similar fashion, but the male version is more like a gentle cranial knocking than a cheek press.
              For kupuna, celebrations, community events, among family, close friends, sure. I didn't think we were talking about that. In your typical corporate environment? The "corporate honi" (or "corporate cranial knock") at the weekly staff meeting of an accounting firm, when a visiting attorney is greeted at the door? Again, I don't see it.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                If it's completely nonsexual, why don't men do it to men?
                It is, and I do, but not in a corporate environment.

Comment

Re: Charm/Finishing School

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                  Pshaw. Like anyone could, Lynn!
                  heheheh.

Even if they tried. Ainokea. I still going give HONI to Mel, Scriv and anybody when I see dem!

Love and Aloha

Auntie Lynn
                  Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                  Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
                    I have been informed this is an exchange of HA. - the "male version."

Forehead to forehead, nose to nose, and you breathe in when they exhale, and vice versa.
                    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                    ~ ~
                    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                      I have been informed this is an exchange of HA. - the "male version."

Forehead to forehead, nose to nose, and you breathe in when they exhale, and vice versa.
                      My friend Lucia, wife of Rocky Jensen, and an anthropologist/culturist in her own right, says:

Lucia Tarallo Well actually, the true Maoli honi, and this from the old Makekau family from Maui was that you inhaled the ha from the other first on right, then left side of the nose...the forehead to nose was an influence from the Maori when Hawaiians, perhaps in the 70s started going there and being dazzeled by their cultural ways.
                      This from her Facebook page:
                      https://www.facebook.com/lucia.t.jen...ation=timeline
                      Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                      ~ ~
                      Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                      Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                      Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Working...
                      X