Legal Question: Shopping Carts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legal Question: Shopping Carts

Why is it legal in Hawaii to steal a $300.00 Shopping cart from a grocery store...and keep it as yours for your belongings...(ie; homeless people)

But then when you steal a $.50 cent Candy bar you could face legal prosecution?

I know there are laws in certain parts of the US that makes it against the law to take shopping carts off the properties premise.

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../bz/bz04a.html

Re: Legal Question: Shopping Carts

Too funny! I taking da one I got in my yard out right NOW!

btw: I neva steal um.

They should give an incentive/reward for turning in shoppping carts.
    $10.00 vs $300.00 loss

I'm off to see Dr. Do!

Auntie Lynn
    Last edited by 1stwahine; March 24, 2006, 09:15 AM.
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
      Why is it legal in Hawaii to steal a $300.00 Shopping cart from a grocery store...and keep it as yours for your belongings...(ie; homeless people)
      Well - it ain't legal to do so, but can you imagine the p.r. nightmare if the cart-owning stores went after homeless people in court?

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123

But then when you steal a $.50 cent Candy bar you could face legal prosecution?

I know there are laws in certain parts of the US that makes it against the law to take shopping carts off the properties premise.

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../bz/bz04a.html
        You're operating from a wrong assumption. Taking a shopping cart off the store premises is indeed illegal.

It's just extremely hard to prosecute. Just like littering.

Comment

besides, who wants to use a shopping cart after it's been in the wild for a while? They want to prevent carts from leaving, not do anything after the fact.
          a rusted filthy cart is worthless.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
            Too funny! I taking da one I got in my yard out right NOW!

btw: I neva steal um.

They should give an incentive/reward for turning in shoppping carts.
            $10.00 vs $300.00 loss

I'm off to see Dr. Do!

Auntie Lynn
            Aunty -

That definately wouldn't work... Could you imagine all the people stealing carts... just so they could "Return" them for their "$10.00"

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
              besides, who wants to use a shopping cart after it's been in the wild for a while? They want to prevent carts from leaving, not do anything after the fact.
              a rusted filthy cart is worthless.
              You don't have a choice at KMART Iwilei.

All of there carts are busted up... I felt like they needed to be sanitized also.

I went there around X-mas time and couldn't find one cart that was in decent shape.

Comment

In some localities, devices like the Carttronics Cart Anti-Theft Protection System (CAPS) have been deployed. I went to a Wal-Mart in the Harbor Gateway area of Los Angeles and a CAPS-equipped shopping cart suddenly locked up as I was pushing it to my car, which was parked at the far end of the parking lot. "Why dis buggah no roll, it stay new?" I thought to myself, until I closely examined it and discovered the security device.
                Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

You know, I used to think I was borderline neurotic about shopping carts. Then there were studies confirming that of the surfaces you come into contact regularly, shopping carts were among the most contaminated -- moreso than toilet seats (which makes sense, as most establishments should regularly clean their toilets). And specialized covers and inserts came out for parents to shield their cart-carried offspring.

The condition of a store's carts are part of my criteria in deciding where to shop, and there are definitely stores here that are trying to maximize their cart investments by stretching the usable life of theirs -- to the point where they're disgusting and essentially unusable.

I can't be the only one that notices when Costco refreshes some of its inventory of those expansive, wonderful carts of theirs... and seeks out the newest ones when entering the store?

Still, I know carts are expensive, hence trying to hold on to them despite rust and dirt and enlisting all sorts of measures to keep them (from "don't cross that line" triggers to "unlock me with a quarter" deposits). They're just so useful... to the homeless, as well as to everyone else. I'd wager more than half the apartment complexes in Makiki have a "communal" kidnapped Daiei, Safeway, or Foodland cart in the elevator lobby.

Comment

Yeah, some mainland stores don't let people take shopping carts beyond just outside the doors of the store (they have barriers up so cannot get the carts through unless you're going to try to lift 'em up over the barriers) to try to discourage people from stealing the carts. People still take the carts but I guess less than they used to *g*

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                      You know, I used to think I was borderline neurotic about shopping carts. Then there were studies confirming that of the surfaces you come into contact regularly, shopping carts were among the most contaminated -- moreso than toilet seats (which makes sense, as most establishments should regularly clean their toilets). And specialized covers and inserts came out for parents to shield their cart-carried offspring.[...]
                      I'm of the mind that we need exposure to a few germs here and there for our systems to produce antibodies so I don't consider myself neurotic about germs. However...I am neurotic about shopping cart contamination and keep a small bottle of Purell in the car as a post cart hand disinfectant! When you think of how many grimy, snotty hands and kids mouths have touched the cart handle and know that, for the most part, the carts aren't cleaned by the stores...YUCK!

Comment

That's why I keep at least a half dozen packets of handi-wipes in my fanny pack.

Comment

I couldn't see myself just putting the shopping cart on the side again. Instead, I called Costco and spoke with "Berlina." I gave her my name & address. Someone is coming to pick it up.

Auntie Lynn
                          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I know of at least one supermarket in my town (Uwajimaya) that has that perimeter brake system (haven't had to test it out yet! ) and another supermarket (soon to be bought out by another chain) thoughtfully provides those premoistened antibacterial towelettes right at the main entrance as you go through the door (akamai advertising for the product, too!). And at Costco up here, if it's been raining and the cart is wet, they will kind of towel it down quickly for you as you check in. Our Safeway down the street has a sign prominently posted outside the main entrace which says you cannot take the carts off the property without permission and if they catch you, you're liable for a $300 fine. Haven't seen very many errant shopping carts in my neighborhood since they remodeled the supermarket.

Miulang
                            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Adri
                              Yeah, some mainland stores don't let people take shopping carts beyond just outside the doors of the store (they have barriers up so cannot get the carts through unless you're going to try to lift 'em up over the barriers) to try to discourage people from stealing the carts. People still take the carts but I guess less than they used to *g*
                              I know the Ross stores here in HI have this system.

Comment

Working...
                              X