Alerts...Warnings...Close to home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alerts...Warnings...Close to home

With the recent incidents going on, and the way that we all seem to receive news...I thought a good post would be on Alerts...and or Warnings...

Since I live next to the Ala Wai... I will let HT know when I notice the "sewage spill" signs removed. They have been there for a while now.

Was interesting to see the "rubber ducky" parade held in the sewage. (The news of the break happened the day before...however they proceded on w/ it...ewww) I feel sorry for all those "new bought" plastic ducks having to sit in a toilet bowl for their first race as they had just bought new ducks for the race.

I think other alert notices posted here might also be beneficial.

I'd like to know things like there is a big friggin pothole on the left hand side of.... etc...

Besides my first alert as to when the Ala Wai signs come down...

I'd like to give the next alert.... Taxes coming up.... Because April 15 this year lies on a weekend... the due date has been extended till 4/17/06.

(although I already did mine)

I'd also like to see examples of "stay away from this business because...etc"
    or
    I had a bad experience with this company because...

I don't want this to be a general complaint forum...however a reason behind why you feel the need to ALERT and/or WARN HawaiiThread readers
    Last edited by damontucker; April 3, 2006, 08:19 PM. Reason: Other things I'd like see added to the post

Re: Alerts...Warnings...Close to home

Warning/Alert...

Do your research before finding a Tow Truck company here in Hawaii.
    In the last day... I have had quotes from $120.00 to $35.00 for the same tow-job.

This may sound like a no brainer...but I have also found that if you call different numbers listed in the yellow pages....that the average rate for a Mechanic can range from $110.00 per hour down to $55.00 per hour for the same over the phone question.

Best advice... if you have someone that you trust...take it there.

Comment

At the moment Kam Highway between Makalapa Gate and Pearlridge has potholes so big I could lose my Geo in them. In every lane.
      http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
        [...]Best advice... if you have someone that you trust...take it there.
        Very true! I've had the same accountant for 22 years, the same car mechanic for over 20 years, the same hair stylist for 23 years and the same dentist for 10 years. If any of 'em move or retire I'll be completely lost!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue

If any of 'em move or retire I'll be completely lost!
          Not as lost, though, as your false teeth.

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
            Not as lost, though, as your false teeth.
            Ahem...that's a pucker as in smooch, smack, kiss. But, yah, as I mentioned in a another thread, all that boogeying I did Saturday night loosened everything. By now I'm sure the dentures have joined all of the other debris in the Ala Wai Canal. Methinks I'm not far behind!

Comment

Local update:

Until they fix the potholes from the recent flooding... Avoid all far right lanes in EITHER direction from Market City Shopping Center to Downtown on Kapiolani.

It literally is an axle waiting to be busted.

(and for everyone on the freeways who likes to drive very slow and UNDER the speed limit... please keep to the right lanes as the left lanes are meant for passing )

Comment

I saw on tonight's news that the pothole patrol patched the plethora of holes on Queen St. between Ward and Kamakee...but...they didn't compact the 'filler'. I can't imagine the patches will hold up. That entire area needs to be torn up and repaved. Drivers beware.

Comment

Very true! I've had the same (...) hair stylist for 23 years and the same dentist for 10 years.
                  Based on your avatar, Tutu, we'll all take that as a "warning", indeed!

And as for those potholes, there was a front page story in the Advertiser today with county and state numbers for where to report 'em and also for where to file damage claims:

REPORT A POTHOLE:

City hotline: 527-6006

State hotline: 536-puka (7852)

FILING A POTHOLE CLAIM ON O'AHU:

"The first thing a resident must do is determine whether the damage to their vehicle occurred on a state or city road. Once that has been done, call the appropriate number and request a claim form."

To file a claim with the state: call 831-6703.

To file a claim with the city: call 523-4639.
                  Last edited by LikaNui; April 4, 2006, 08:34 AM. Reason: added pothole phone numbers

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I saw on tonight's news that the pothole patrol patched the plethora of holes on Queen St. between Ward and Kamakee...but...they didn't compact the 'filler'. I can't imagine the patches will hold up. That entire area needs to be torn up and repaved. Drivers beware.
                    You shouldn't expect the the patches to hold up. They never do. You can not expect proper creation and maintenance of roads in a third world country such as this.
                    "Drivers beware" of EVERYwhere.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                      You shouldn't expect the the patches to hold up. They never do. You can not expect proper creation and maintenance of roads in a third world country such as this.
                      "Drivers beware" of EVERYwhere.
                      You wanna build more roads in Hawai'i? Then expect more potholes!
                      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                        You wanna build more roads in Hawai'i?
                        not really.....

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                          not really.....
                          I know YOU don't, but there are lotsa other people there who do because they don't like the hours of sitting on H-1 in their overheated, airconditioned cars going nowhere fast.

Miulang
                          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

With the recent incidents going on, and the way that we all seem to receive news...I thought a good post would be on Alerts...and or Warnings...

Since I live next to the Ala Wai... I will let HT know when I notice the "sewage spill" signs removed. They have been there for a while now.

Was interesting to see the "rubber ducky" parade held in the sewage. (The news of the break happened the day before...however they proceded on w/ it...ewww) I feel sorry for all those "new bought" plastic ducks having to sit in a toilet bowl for their first race as they had just bought new ducks for the race.

I think other alert notices posted here might also be beneficial.

I'd like to know things like there is a big friggin pothole on the left hand side of.... etc...

Besides my first alert as to when the Ala Wai signs come down...

I'd like to give the next alert.... Taxes coming up.... Because April 15 this year lies on a weekend... the due date has been extended till 4/17/06.

(although I already did mine)

I'd also like to see examples of "stay away from this business because...etc"
                            or
                            I had a bad experience with this company because...

I don't want this to be a general complaint forum...however a reason behind why you feel the need to ALERT and/or WARN HawaiiThread readers
                            I'm hereby saying that I will NEVER say that the Ala Wai is safe.

If you haven't been following the recent developments... a guy fell into the ala wai harbor during all this sewage spill stuff.. (had one leg amputated...another...then the family pulled the life support...etc)

The news tonight reported that it now has been determined that he got in a fight on a boat in the ala wai harbor and may have been pushed in... circumstances still not clear.

Even if and when they take the signs down...

When the wind is blowing in the Manoa direction... I can still smell it...

So with this...

I will say... Paddlers that used to use the Ala Wai... better find a "new home"

I don't think the Ala Wai will be able to be used for recreational use for at least another year.

And those poor brand new rubber duckies they bought to raise money during the "The Great Duck Race...or what ever it was billed as..) those poor duckies were racing for their life... poor tings...j/k

My warning is to stay as far away from the Ala Wai as you can...

W/ this... anyone else have any possible life saving warnings...?

I'd be interested in the small scam kine warnings too???

Comment

I'm hereby saying that I will NEVER say that the Ala Wai is safe.[...]
                              When was the last time the Ala Wai was considered safe?! I remember in the early-mid 80s being asked to paddle for a club that practiced in the Ala Wai. I turned down the invitation 'cuz it wasn't safe then. It was certainly not life threatening like it is now but even then infections were common. On a number of occasions over the past 2 1/2 decades I was involved in film projects that shot in the canal, usually canoe to canoe. I wouldn't step off the sidewalk!

I wonder if testing is going on island wide...currents being what they are. I saw approx. 15 kids in swimming in front of my condo this afternoon. We've had no warnings along the Waianae Coast but...still...50 million gallons of sewage has gotta go somewhere and I doubt it's being shunted straight out to the middle of the Pacific via an underground pipe.

What a needless, horrible death that young man experienced. The news report I heard this evening mentioned "alcoholic liver disease was a contributing cause of death.". Whether it's true or not, it sounds like there's a concerted effort to divert blame away from the contaminated water. A cheap shot in my book.

Comment

Working...
                              X