Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you choose jail or community service?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 5 days in Jail, or 240 hours of community service?

She already spent a day in jail after she got arrested and that's been credited to her 5 days so basically she is only in jail another 4 days and then it's over for her as far as her legal troubles in Hawaii.

Comment

Remember, this thread is simply asking, what would you choose, given the choice (and, er, I guess general rants about prison in general). Discussion of Michelle Rodriguez specifically continues here.

Anyway. Community service is probably better for your soul. But jail, in this scenario, is better for your dayplanner. If I had to choose, and if I were given the choice, I'd probably pick the slammer.

Best case scenario, it'd be an interesting experience to learn from and tell your friends about. (Right, Tim?) Worst case scenario, it's a genuine horror and absolutely a punishment, which of course was the whole idea, anyway.

Comment

Instead of giving her the choice, the judge should have given her the jail time AND the community service since this wasn't her first offense. Just because she's a "somebody" doesn't mean she should get extra privileges. And as was stated previously, I seriously doubt they put her in with the general population at OCCC. She's probably got her own private cell with room service for meals.

As for me, I'd probablty do the jail time so I could get on with my life quicker.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Speaking for myself, I would choose the community service, it might play out to over 7 months assuming one was serving those hours as 8 hours a day on one day of a weekend.

Of course then again it depends on what I was doing for the community service.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
            Instead of giving her the choice, the judge should have given her the jail time AND the community service since this wasn't her first offense. Just because she's a "somebody" doesn't mean she should get extra privileges.
            You don't get both. It's one or the other.

2) For an offense that occurs within five years of a prior conviction for driving under the influence of intoxicating liquor under this section or section 291-4.4 by:
            (A) Prompt suspension of license for a period of one year with the absolute prohibition from operating a motor vehicle during suspension of license;
            (B) Either one of the following:
            (i) Not less than one hundred hours of community service work; or
            (ii) Not less than forty-eight consecutive hours but not more than fourteen days of imprisonment of which at least forty-eight hours shall be served consecutively; and
            (C) A fine of not less than $500 but not more than $1,500.
            Notice it says "either one" when it refers to community service and jail time.

And if you think about it, the judge wasn't doing her any favors by giving her a choice.

It's CHEAPER for the state to send her to community service. They don't have to pay the cost of housing and feeding an inmate.

And her "own cell with room service for meals" sounds a lot more extravagant than it really is. She'll be locked up longer each day than a normal inmate would, for what would be considered her own safety.

To keep this on topic... going to jail for four days is a lot easier than dealing with being in the public eye for months as you perform community service.
            Last edited by Palolo Joe; April 26, 2006, 04:22 PM.

Comment

K-den. My turn.

Everyone knows my worse FEAR.

So, I would choose Community Service.

Mahalo,

Auntie Lynn
              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Re: Would you choose jail or community service?

Way back in '82. I went through a red (thought it was yellow Osifer?) light and got caught. Okay, I was young and stupid. No insurance and only a permit without a licenced driver present. Went to court and when I explained to the Judge that I didn't have the money to pay the fine, he awarded? me with a couple of days Community Service. I lugged soooo many wheelbarrows full of sand to make a large sandbox in a N. Cal. park. I of course later took my daughter to go play there. Look what Dad did for you honey!

Even though that's alot of days, for me I'd have to choose Community Service.
                Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Re: Would you choose jail or community service?

I actually think that jail is better for your soul, because it shoves humanity right in your face. The problem is, which looks better on your record? A brief stint in jail, or community service?

pax

Comment

Working...
                  X