!!! Power Outage !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• !!! Power Outage !!!

I got the 'heads up' from a friend who is the #2 person in a major Honolulu government department. He said they were advised that there's a possibility the blackout will come to the windward side around 5pm and last for a couple of hours.
    Nothing on HECO's website, and their phone numbers are rejecting calls.
    Here's the scoops:

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../br/br06p.html :

Hawaiian Electric Co. is working to restore power to an estimated 37,000 customers in Hawai'i Kai, Manoa, Makakilo, Waipahu, 'Ewa Beach, Waimanalo, Kahala and sections of Pearl City, said HECO spokesman Jose Dizon.
    HECO cut the power to the customers shortly after 2 p.m. to compensate for the failure of three generating units, Dizon said. Power will be restored after the utility determines what caused the units to trip off line, he said.
    In addition to two units at the electric company's Waiau plant, a generator at Campbell Industrial Park failed, Dizon said. The plant is operated by Kalaeloa Partners LP, a private power provider.
    The failure forced HECO to cut customer power as a means to stabilizing the overall system.

and

http://starbulletin.com/breaking/breaking.php?id=4513 :

About 37,500 customers throughout Oahu are without power this afternoon because of the sudden loss of three generating units at Hawaiian Electric Co. and a private power provider, according to a Heco spokesman.
    Jose Dizon said the private Kalaeloa Partners LP generator at Campbell Industrial Park went down about noon. Then after 2 p.m., two units at the electric company’s Waiau plant went down forcing the company to “manually shed” customers.
    Dizon said high electricity use because of the heat is also a factor.
    The blackout is affecting customers in Hawaii Kai, Manoa, Waipahu, Pearl City, Kunia, Ewa Beach and Makakilo, Dizon said.
    The power is likely to stay off until the company is able to restart the units at Waiau, said Dizon, who could not say how long that will take.
    “We have to assess this. If we can get our two units up, we will probably be out of this situation,” Dizon said.
    The Kalaeloa Partners generator provides 104 megawatts of electricity while the two Waiau units produce about 50 megawatts each.
    The last major power outage on Oahu was on Dec. 19, 2002 when 30,000 to 40,000 customers lost power after a problem with a 180-megawatt generator operated by AES Hawaii Inc. and the loss of teh 46-megawatt HPOWER Genrator and an 86-megawatt generator at the Kahe power plant also went offline.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Re: !!! Power Outage !!!

Only KITV and KHNL have anything on their websites.

http://www.thehawaiichannel.com/news...19/detail.html :

Thousands of people lost power on Oahu Thursday afternoon, because of the sudden loss of three power generating units, Hawaiian Electric Co. said.
    The electric outage affected about 37,500 customers in Hawaii Kai, Manoa, Waipahu, Kunia, Kalihi, Makakilo, and Ewa Beach, Dizon said. The blackout left customers in many stores in the dark, and caused traffic lights to go down at a number of intersections around Oahu.
    (...)
    Among the major facilities that were without power: UH Manoa campus, Costco Hawaii Kai and the city's bus headquarters in Kalihi.

http://www.khnl.com/Global/story.asp?S=4978460 is pretty much the same info.

Comment

For what it's worth, here is Heco's 3:30 pm press release:

Loss of power generators causes outages on Oahu
      HONOLULU -- Hawaiian Electric Company has been forced to initiate electric power outages to some neighborhoods on Oahu due to the unanticipated loss of three generating units from an independent power producer, Kalaeloa Partners, and two HECO generating units.

In addition, four HECO units, Kahe 2 (90 megawatts (MW)), Waiau units 3 and 4 (50 MW each), and Waiau unit 5 (57 MW) were already out for scheduled maintenance and cannot be available today.

“Because of the unanticipated loss of the three generators, we had to manually shed load in order to stabilize the system,” said Jose Dizon, HECO spokesman. “Power to homes and businesses was curtailed in order to avoid damage to the total system and to avoid a more extensive outage.”

Approximately 37,000 customers in the Hawaii Kai, Waimanalo, Kahala, Manoa, Kalihi, Pearl City, Waipahu, Kunia, Ewa Beach, and Makakilo areas are without power.

Customers are being asked to conserve electricity if possible. Suggested conservation steps include:

Delay activities such as running electric clothes washers and dryers or running electric dishwashers.

Use fans instead of air conditioners today if possible. Otherwise, turn off air conditioners and other appliances when rooms are empty. Consider running an AC on low in one room and moving cooler air by fans which use less power.
      Reduce electricity use at the peak residential use times, which are weekdays from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m.

Take shorter showers, which can save both energy and water, or delay showering until later in the evening.

More information will be provided later.
      Click here for the source link
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Came back up for a few minutes out here in Hawaii Kai and then it went down again...but it seems we're back up for good now. Four hours of low-tech bliss. We made paper airplanes, ate peanutbutter sandwiches and hung around in the backyard for a while. I toyed with the idea of washing my windows but let the dangerous ambition pass.
        @
        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

I go to the movies after a job interview and I get a blackout?

Anyone saw KHNL's live in Waipahu? If so, that's in the area I live in.

Originally posted by lavagal
          Four hours of low-tech bliss. We made paper airplanes, ate peanutbutter sandwiches and hung around in the backyard for a while.
          I know what you mean. When I got home, everyone was just reading books, then I remembered my laptop had juice, so I powered it on, but I instantly got bored in a few minutes because there wasn't no internet connection (wired or wireless). I'd die if I didn't have electricity.
          Last edited by adrian; June 1, 2006, 07:22 PM.
          How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

We all went home early since I work in the networking industry and without electricity, no work can be done. It's a good thing that I am salaried, or else I would be chopped chopped a few hours. But then, when I got home, the power was turned back on again, so I guess it's called catch up at home!!!

Comment

I've been working from home this week and the Waianae Coast wasn't affected, fortunately. But my DSL was really sluggish, almost dial-up speed. Might the outage have been the cause?

Comment

What happens when they build all those houses near St. Francis and near Costco Waipio? Today's paper says there will be rolling black outs all summer.
                just started: mililaniblog.com

Comment

The bad news for Oahu residents is that unless you start moderating the use of electricity, you're probably going to see more brownouts and blackouts over the summer. Much of the grid that supplies the electricity is old technology and the increase in population and growth of businesses is putting increased demands on a system that is rapidly becoming overwhelmed.

HECO would like to build a wind farm Ewa side, but the neighbors protested that it would be an eyesore. The same arguments are being waged on Maui, where I did see evidence that most of the turbines in the wind farm at McGregor Pt. now are almost complete (the last few can't be completed because the wind's been too strong lately). But they can't even be seen from the road to Lahaina so my guess is the people complaining about the "eyesore" are those who live in South Maui (between Kihei and Wailea). The wind turbines are about 90 ft. tall, but even from Kihei, they really aren't that visible. I think given a choice between high costs for electricity, potential power shortages and pollution from diesel power plants, I'd pick those quiet "eyesores" any day. Maybe once the Maui wind farm plugs into the grid and can demonstrate how Maui is moving away from dependence on imported oil, the people of Oahu and the rest of the State will also see the wisdom of proceeding in this direction.

Miulang
                  Last edited by Miulang; June 3, 2006, 07:43 AM.
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by jkpescador
                    What happens when they build all those houses near St. Francis and near Costco Waipio? Today's paper says there will be rolling black outs all summer.
                    Won't rolling blackouts wreak havoc on electronics, esp. computers?

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                      Won't rolling blackouts wreak havoc on electronics, esp. computers?
                      Having a surge protector will help a little, as will a UPS which will provide a little extra juice for 5-15 minutes, depending on the size of the UPS battery. If you happen to be at home when the power goes out, turn off your computer and any lights or electronic equipment that might have been on at the time the outage occurred so you don't cause the circuits to become overloaded by power surges when the power comes back on.

Miulang
                      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                        [...]If you happen to be at home when the power goes out[...]
                        Exactly my point! I have duplicate electronics...one set at home, one set in the office. If HECO doesn't set a schedule for the rolling blackouts then we could end up with expensive surprises. As I understand it, only the expensive surge protectors offer any hope of protection. I guess I'll need to put notes everywhere to remind me to unplug all electronics when I walk out the door of either place. Then there's the issue of casting sessions! While I can operate my camera on batteries, no lights = no work = no pay! A generator isn't an option because of the noise. Audio is as important as video! Now, if the South St. repaving project could just coordinate with HECO's rolling blackouts, I might be able to stay in business!

Comment

Originally posted by jkpescador
                          And don't forget the two massive developments planned for the north shore! (Kahuku, and Turtle Bay.)
                          The articles today said the existing generators are 60 years old, and that installing more won't happen until at least 2009.
                          The answer is extremely obvious: at least temporarily, STOP ANY FURTHER DEVELOPMENT OF NEW HOUSING DEVELOPMENTS AND HOTELS. The Mayor or the Governor should invoke emergency powers to stop all construction other than private-party permits. Our infrastructure clearly can't handle it.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                            I guess I'll need to put notes everywhere to remind me to unplug all electronics when I walk out the door of either place.
                            I don't think you need to unplug things. Either turn off the equipment or if they are plugged in to a power strip/surge protector just turn off at that switch.

Comment

Originally posted by helen
                              I don't think you need to unplug things. Either turn off the equipment or if they are plugged in to a power strip/surge protector just turn off at that switch.
                              Remember, I'm not called the Untechie Tutu for nuthin'! That said...I thought if a computer was turned off but plugged in, a power surge could still fry it. Not so? I always remove the power adapters from my laptops & camcorders when they're not being charged or are not in use but I never disconnect the power from the iMac or other electronics. I did think of turning off the power strips but they're fairly inaccessible. I'll adjust!

Comment

Working...
                              X