Mokuleia - Safe to travel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mokuleia - Safe to travel?

I was going to travel Haleiwa and thought I'd try Mokuleia as well. I want to know about Mokuleia. Is it much like North Shore? I saw some pictures from google and that the beach was used for filiming 'Lost.' Is the plane still there?

I was also wondering about safety. Is it safe to travel alone with a camera?
    Could you tell me some recommendations of places? I heard about the beach, but is there anything else? Perhaps like Haleiwa market place?

Thank you~

Re: Mokuleia - Safe to travel?

Well...it was the most wonderful, safe, place to grow up in, 40 years ago.

PS If you go, would you please snap my 'photo request' for me? it's in here, under a thread by the same name, by Kaneohegirl.

Thanks, susie
    http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
    http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Sadly, the plane is not still there. In fact, they only had the fuselage on the beach for the pilot and maybe a couple more episodes -- after that, it was just debris that they moved around as needed. What's left of the plane is stored in parts at Dillingham Airfield and near Heeia.

Further, only Season 1 was set near Mokuleia. The "beach" location for Season 2, and presumably Season 3, is at Police Beach/Papailoa on the North Shore. Check out my list of "LOST" locations here.

Is it safe to wander around with your camera? I'd say so. But if you're driving a rental car, don't leave anything in it but sand. Thieves can clear out a 2006 Mustang in five seconds flat.

Comment

I found out that there is no bus to Mokuleia and it's 5 mile walk.. is there alternative way to get there? Perhaps a bike?

Comment

Don't the circle island routes (Route 52 and Route 55 - PDF links) roll right past Mokuleia Beach Park? What's five miles from where?

Comment

I remember fondly the camp in Mokuleia. It is not on those circles. When you get to Haleiwa, you need to head West towards the point. There is still a road, but not much further, it turns to dirt.

Comment

Mokuleia is west from Haleiwa past Dillingham Air Field. It's five miles from where the last bus stop is in Wailaua (according to the bus lady).

Any recommendations? I'm trying to cover Haleiwa and another place in a day, but I can't seem to find anywhere nice near. I don't want to go to the north shore beaches. (I have beautiful fond memories of walking from Haleiwa to Sunset )

I like to take photos and Haleiwa seems like a place to capture 'retro' atmosphere. Is there any place near with these kind of atmosphere?

Is Wailaua Sugar Mill nice?

Comment

D'oh. You know it's a Monday when you read Mokuleia and think Kualoa. Sheesh. Yeah, buses don't run out that way. And it's a heck of a walk!

Haleiwa offers lots of good photographic opportunities. Other similar neighborhoods? Can't think of many. Lots of other neighbors have great character, though, from Kaimuki (Waialae Avenue) to Chinatown to Kailua to, yes, Waialua.

Comment

Originally posted by johnkim0011
                  I found out that there is no bus to Mokuleia and it's 5 mile walk.. is there alternative way to get there? Perhaps a bike?
                  Three miles from Wialua High to our old place...straight road, nothing but cane fields, til you get to the Dillingham place, afte that, there's the polo field, the beach colony, the village, Dillingham airfield, and the church camp. Another mile, or so, there's the beach park, and, after, the other entrance to the airfield, and the military beachpark, and Camp Erdman. If you continue, you can go around Kaena Point.

Years ago, we rented mopeds in Waikiki and went all the way around...including a flat tire at Kaena Point, and a helpful man with a pickup. But an ordinary bike should be good for a day out. On the way back, continue through to Haleiwa and have a rainbow shave ice, with beans and ice cream, at Matsumoto's.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                    Don't the circle island routes (Route 52 and Route 55 - PDF links) roll right past Mokuleia Beach Park? What's five miles from where?
                    If it's still the same, the bus doesn't even go out through Waialua, but turns towards Haleiwa at Thompson's Corner. If you get off there, check out the old church, and the old graves in the churchyard.

Comment

Originally posted by johnkim0011
                      Mokuleia is west from Haleiwa past Dillingham Air Field. It's five miles from where the last bus stop is in Wailaua (according to the bus lady).

Any recommendations? I'm trying to cover Haleiwa and another place in a day, but I can't seem to find anywhere nice near. I don't want to go to the north shore beaches. (I have beautiful fond memories of walking from Haleiwa to Sunset )

I like to take photos and Haleiwa seems like a place to capture 'retro' atmosphere. Is there any place near with these kind of atmosphere?

Is Wailaua Sugar Mill nice?
                      Facing the Waialua High School is one of the old suagr camps, where the workers live. From there, all the way to behind the mill (towards your left, rather than towards Haleiwa), is the REAL history of Hawaii...the cane worker's little, sloping-roofed, green-painted, corrugated-iron topped houses...with fighting cocks in tiny coops, and bittermelon in the vegetable patches.

Already, years ago, the houses were being torn down, to show the pride at the immigrant's arriving at the 'American Dream'...now you'll also find two-storey cinderblock houses, with fancy bits. But, if you look, the history is still there, I am sure.

Up behind the High School, is Ranch Camp (all the camps had names)...a bit more fancy, that was where the mill supervisors lived. If ou go all the way to he top, back part (left side), you might find that the Santiago family is still there...they raised goats and pigs and cows for slaughter. Ask to take a tour around where the slop gets boiled, or the drain, with the pulley on top, where the cows saw their end moments. And, if it's still there, see if you can't take a picture of the house, with the jawbones of all the wild pigs that the Dad and the brothers shot, over the years.

If you want some fancy houses...autrefois style..go behind the church, that's where the plantation managers lived. You'll find some beautiful examples of the old wooden local plantation style...not too much bittermelon, growing there...bouganvillia, and oleander, mostly, behind mockorange hedges.

Another sweet little part is Crozier Drive. It runs along the beach, from Waialua towards Mokuleia. That's where the plantation donkeys live...those sweet little creatures, with the nose bag attached, all lined up with theirs backpacks, on cane-planting days. Swishing their little spindly tails at the flies.

Right by the Plantation, on Main Street (the dreams!), is the old, old Bank of Hawaii building. It's not a bank, anymore...in my day, it was turned into an art gallery. But it is a good example of life as it was.

If you get into Haleiwa, find the Japanese Temple, and the Japanese School...the one all the Japanese kids went to, after ordinary school, to learn about 'things Japanese'. I envied them their education.

And, of course, the Haleiwa Bridge, too. And Sea View Inn, with the fishing boats.

No forget my picture, too!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                        D'oh. You know it's a Monday when you read Mokuleia and think Kualoa. Sheesh. Yeah, buses don't run out that way. And it's a heck of a walk!

Haleiwa offers lots of good photographic opportunities. Other similar neighborhoods? Can't think of many. Lots of other neighbors have great character, though, from Kaimuki (Waialae Avenue) to Chinatown to Kailua to, yes, Waialua.
                        Snob, ya? ...

Comment

Check out "Encounter with the Sharks!" @ Haleiwa Boat Harbor. Reservations are needed. It's an awesome experience. Tell um ~ Pupule Lucie and Auntie Pupule told ya!
                          http://www.hawaiisharkadventure.com/

legal_secretary_in_mtl & 1stWahine

Auntie Lynn
                          Last edited by 1stwahine; June 26, 2006, 08:29 PM.
                          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon
                            Three miles from Wialua High to our old place...straight road, nothing but cane fields, til you get to the Dillingham place, afte that, there's the polo field, the beach colony, the village, Dillingham airfield, and the church camp. Another mile, or so, there's the beach park, and, after, the other entrance to the airfield, and the military beachpark, and Camp Erdman. If you continue, you can go around Kaena Point.

Years ago, we rented mopeds in Waikiki and went all the way around...including a flat tire at Kaena Point, and a helpful man with a pickup. But an ordinary bike should be good for a day out. On the way back, continue through to Haleiwa and have a rainbow shave ice, with beans and ice cream, at Matsumoto's.
                            I've been to Kaena Point from Makaha side. Me and my friends bicycled from the bike shop (Hale Nalu i think). It was very nice. One of our bike tire was flat too.

Comment

Working...
                            X