How should I format my voicemail?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How should I format my voicemail?

Basically, I have one phone number for the business and for people who has my resume. So far, I received no inquiries, but if I do get busy, then I'll just set my voicemail message to leave a message for the computer business. BUT, I'm worried that the people who are inquiring for a job applicant, might believe its the wrong number, and I might be out of a job.

So, how do I format my voicemail message so that it caters to both parties? I can't have a SBR (when the caller chooses between options, then gets redirected to that option), and I don't want to setup another number (yet) just for one thing.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: How should I format my voicemail?

Adrian, if you can not set your voice mail, you are not ready for the real world. Period.

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Why don't you want to set up that autoattendant? You could have an announcement at the front end saying something like, "You have reached [phone number], If you would like to leave a message for Pyehac, press 1. To leave a message for Adrian, press 2." Another option is to get a second number for that cell phone (I believe it's possible to get 2 phone numbers on one cellphone...I know you can do that with pagers). You gotta be careful when you do that, though, because you might end up answering a call the wrong way!

A third option is get one of those prepaid phones and just give out that number to people who might be calling you about a job (as opposed to a computer repair). Always have that one go to voice mail so then you can take the messages off and call them from your primary cellphone. That'll cost you about $20/3 months.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
        Adrian, if you can not set your voice mail, you are not ready for the real world. Period.
        No auntie. I have ONE NUMBER, but two different "groups" of people to cater to: one is the computer business, and the other I'm trying to get a job, so I can get more skills and to fall back on if this goes south (which I hope it won't).

Why don't you want to set up that autoattendant? You could have an announcement at the front end saying something like, "You have reached [phone number], If you would like to leave a message for Pyehac, press 1. To leave a message for Adrian, press 2."
        That's called "Skilled Based Routing" (SBR). Tmobile doesn't support that.

Another option is to get a second number for that cell phone (I believe it's possible to get 2 phone numbers on one cellphone...I know you can do that with pagers)
        No can do that. My phone only get one space for one SIM card.

A third option is get one of those prepaid phones and just give out that number to people who might be calling you about a job (as opposed to a computer repair). Always have that one go to voice mail so then you can take the messages off and call them from your primary cellphone. That'll cost you about $20/3 months.
        I have experienced having two cell phones on my person before, and let me tell you: its not fun. Even though I've set the ringtones differently, I always answered the other phone first, and people will look at me weird when I have two cell phones.

And more on the prepaid option: I got a phone w/ minutes for $150 last year (when I started doing house calls) and I lost the number after three months because I didn't refill the card. To make it last a year, I can buy a $100 refill card, but then that'll cost me $250 upfront, which I don't have the money right now. I just want to properly format my voicemail message, because I just sent out my resume to a few companies and my Mom sent a dozen of my business cards to friends.

Ho, SCORE better have answers to my questions next week.

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456
          No auntie. I have ONE NUMBER, but two different "groups" of people to cater to: one is the computer business, and the other I'm trying to get a job, so I can get more skills and to fall back on if this goes south (which I hope it won't).

And more on the prepaid option: I got a phone w/ minutes for $150 last year (when I started doing house calls) and I lost the number after three months because I didn't refill the card. To make it last a year, I can buy a $100 refill card, but then that'll cost me $250 upfront, which I don't have the money right now. I just want to properly format my voicemail message, because I just sent out my resume to a few companies and my Mom sent a dozen of my business cards to friends.
          No, don't carry the prepaid phone with you. Just keep it in a drawer someplace. All you want it for is to take messages. If you want to go cheap, then the 3-month option is the way to go (that's what I have). It's easy to refill (you can do it online) and the phone tells you when it's time to refill, so it's pretty hard to forget. Plus if you have TracPhone, they actually call you to remind you to refill the phone.

The way to properly format ONE message for both entities (personal and business) without letting them know you're using the phone for 2 applications is to say the phone number and make it really generic: "You have reached 808-xxx-xxxx. Please leave a message and we'll call you back as soon as possible." If you say something like "This is Adrian at Pyehac" and you don't have that on your resume, then the potential employer might think it odd. One way you can finesse it is to include Pyehac on your resume, then you're not trying to hide anything.

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

[...]I just want to properly format my voicemail message, because I just sent out my resume to a few companies and my Mom sent a dozen of my business cards to friends.[...]
            Adrian, I use my office # for both business and personal calls. My outgoing message states something along the lines of:
            "You've reached <company name> and <personal name>. We're sorry no one is available to answer your call right now so please leave your name, phone number and a message after the tone and <name> will return your call as soon as possible."

Just a thought...

Comment

Adrian, I apologize for being too rough on you earlier. It was uncalled for. You know I love you and only wish you the best.

Auntie Lynn
              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Get a beeper for your business. Have it forward to your cellphone when you get a message.

I have not put batteries in my beeper for years as I don't carry it around. It does what it needs to do behind the scenes.

Cheap Solution.
                You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

Treat your cellphone as a business phone, period. If you take personal calls on it, well that is your business, but make sure that your message sounds professional, and consider it a business expense.

As far as your prospective employers are concerned, don't worry about it. Most people in your field run their personal G.E. liscenses and do small contract work on the side. It is par for the course. Make sure that your name is clear, and that your message sounds professional, and you will have nothing to sweat.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by nachodaddy
                    Get a beeper for your business. [...]
                    I didn't know beepers/pagers were still around. I learn something new every day on HT!

Comment

Originally posted by nachodaddy
                      Get a beeper for your business. Have it forward to your cellphone when you get a message.

I have not put batteries in my beeper for years as I don't carry it around. It does what it needs to do behind the scenes.

Cheap Solution.
                      beeper? what's that?

I just went through my voicemail options, and there's an option to have a pager notification, and I set it to page me on the urgent calls.

My current message is the default one, which goes "Please leave your message for 808-741-4256." (what? the number is on my website, so either way, people will call me).

Comment

beeper? what's that?
                        beeper=pager

Comment

I apologize for the confusion over my urban upbringing and subsequent sloppy venacular.

beeper=pager

I be going now......
                          You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                            Why don't you want to set up that autoattendant? You could have an announcement at the front end saying something like, "You have reached [phone number], If you would like to leave a message for Pyehac, press 1. To leave a message for Adrian, press 2." Another option is to get a second number for that cell phone (I believe it's possible to get 2 phone numbers on one cellphone...I know you can do that with pagers). You gotta be careful when you do that, though, because you might end up answering a call the wrong way!
                            I can see that.

<ring, ring!>
                            "WAAAASAAAABEEEEE! ... What? Oh ... um ... yes, I did call about possibly setting up a job interview ..."

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                              Adrian, I apologize for being too rough on you earlier. It was uncalled for. You know I love you and only wish you the best.
                              I thought it was funny. But then, you might say I was being "rough" on him in another thread, earlier. If today's pampered youth are offended by such minor comments, that just means the rest of us need to dish it out more so they get used to it. You know, kind of the way vaccines work.

Comment

Working...
                              X